topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday March 19, 2024, 2:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Process Tamer GUI window and dual screens  (Read 7987 times)

bkerouan

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Process Tamer GUI window and dual screens
« on: December 20, 2012, 01:06 AM »
Hi Mouser,

Thank you for Process Tamer !
I was a long-time user of Screenshot Captor, but recently installed ProcessTamer, which is really what I needed for my slow PC ;) That's a nice software too.

Unfortunately, I found an annoyance with the way the GUI windows are handled, and I hope you'll be able to fix it on a future release.

I run it on Win7 x64, on my laptop which has 2 screens at home, and only its own screen when I move. I noticed that if I put the ProcessTamer GUI on the second display when I am at home, and then after sleep/resuming or even restarting windows, the ProcessTamer GUI tries to display on the second display even if it is not attached. The consequence is that I cannot access this window while I am travelling.

I tried several ways to move/resize/maximise/reduce the window using the native Win7 functions, but also digging around with tools like ProcessHacker and more, but I never got to move the window to my main display and make it appear. The only solution I had was to wait to come home, and manually drag the display on the main screen so it would stay on it the next time I disconnect the second screen.

Anyway, that's a nice software ! Thanks and have a nice Christmas ;)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Process Tamer GUI window and dual screens
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2012, 01:19 AM »
That really is something I should fix in Process Tamer, however until then may I recommend for your situation a more general purpose tool that can be used to move any off screen windows back on screen?

Such a tool can be very helpful for cases where you connect and disconnect secondary monitors.

There are surely a bunch of these kinds of tools out there, but the one I use is an old freeware program called Discover, which seems to have disapeared from the web so I uploaded it here.  When you run it you will see a new icon in the system tray -- just double click it to have offscreen windows moved back on screen.

bkerouan

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Process Tamer GUI window and dual screens
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2012, 01:45 PM »
Hi Mouser,

sorry for the late reply, due to a good reason : Christmas holidays !

Thank you for your suggestion. This is exactly the kind of tools I love : small and efficient !

Have some nice holidays too ;)