topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:32 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In support of the Internet Archive  (Read 5847 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
In support of the Internet Archive
« on: December 16, 2012, 12:41 AM »
This post was originally entitled: 17 days to go to help the Internet Archive reach their donation target.
EDIT - 2013-01-16 1859hrs: I changed the thread title to be more generic about The Internet Archive.)

I have many times said to myself "Thank goodness for the Archive", when I have needed to retrieve some pice of defunct/deleted web material.
I hadn't realised that the Internet Archive are in the midst of a donation request - 17days to go till they finish on Dec. 31 2012, with a target of $150,000. They only have $27,090 as at 2012-12-16 1930hrs (NZT). But look what they are after getting!
"A generous supporter has offered to match every dollar we raise 3-to-1 through December 31st. We are trying to raise $150,000 in donations by the end of the year - with the match, that will give us $600,000, enough to buy 4 more petabytes of storage."
As a donation lever, this would be hard to beat - you donate $1.00, they get $4.00.
I'm in, and am also signed up with a library card.

You can check out the details and make a donation via the link: http://archive.org/donate/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:02 AM by IainB, Reason: Updated with an edit. »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In support of the Internet Archive
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2013, 12:05 AM »
I came across what I reckoned was a really great idea to actively support the work of TIA by, in effect, becoming a local scanning centre: The Scanning Brigade Comes Home

Hmm I wonder if they have/need a New Zealand node...?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
National Security Agency ❤ ❤ ❤ Internet Archive?
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2013, 07:56 PM »
Interesting post in Archive.org:
(Copied below sans embedded hyperlinks/images.)
National Security Agency ❤ ❤ ❤ Internet Archive?
Posted on May 18, 2013 by brewster   

An unclassified document from the National Security Agency from 2007 has some nice words to say about the Internet Archive, Brewster Kahle, and the Wayback Machine.

“The Wayback Machine is, very simply, one of the greatest deep web tools ever created.” -National Security Agency (2007)

https://www.nsa.gov/...tangling_the_Web.pdf

A searchable version, and a searchable PDF version.

Main section on us:

The Internet Archive & the Wayback Machine

You have to give Brewster Kahle credit for thinking big. The founder of the Internet Archive has a clear, if not easy, mission: to make all human knowledge universally accessible. And, who knows, he might just succeed. What has made Kahle’s dream seem possible is extremely inexpensive storage technology. As of now, the Internet Archive houses “approximately 1 petabyte of data and is currently growing at a rate of 20 terabytes per month. This eclipses the amount of text contained in the world’s largest libraries, including the Library of Congress. If you tried to place the entire contents of the archive onto floppy disks (we don’t recommend this!) and laid them end to end, it would stretch from New York, past Los Angeles, and halfway to Hawaii.” 102 In December 2006 the Archive announced it had indexed over 85 billion “web objects” and that its database contained over 1.5 petabytes of information. 103

But that’s not all that Kahle and company have archived. The Archive also now contains about 2 million audio works; over 10,000 music concerts; thousands of “moving images,” including 300 feature films; its own and links to others’ digitized texts, including printable and downloadable books; and 3 million hours of television shows (enough to satisfy even the most sedulous couch potato!). Kahle’s long term dream includes scanning and digitizing the entire Library of Congress collection of about 28 million books (something that is technically within reach), but there are UNCLASSIFIED  some nasty impediments such as copyrights and, of course, money. None of this deters Kahle, whose commitment to the preservation of the digital artifacts of our time drives the Internet Archive. As Kahle puts it, “If you don’t have access to the past, you live in a very Orwellian world.”

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2013, 08:55 PM »
Sorry, nice post, but anything at all from 2007 is meaningless in 2013!

Basicially, they can/will-try to tap anything.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2013, 09:15 PM »
Sorry, nice post, but anything at all from 2007 is meaningless in 2013!
Basicially, they can/will-try to tap anything.
Yes, quite so. The apparently unintentional irony and implicit potential hypocrisy were amongst the things that made the post interesting for me.
Some people (not me, you understand) might say that, if the National Security Agency ❤ ❤ ❤ You, then it might be time to be afraid - be very afraid - but I couldn't possibly comment.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New IT development at the Internet Archive.
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2013, 04:18 PM »
I don't recall having come across the Knight Foundation before today.
This looks like a seriously useful new development, and a good working example of a forwards development in the use of Information Technology.
Hundreds of thousands of TV news broadcasts on one website
May 21, 2013, 9:01 a.m.
The following blog post is written by Roger Macdonald, director, Television Archive; Brewster Kahle, digital librarian, Internet

We are seeing more and more public benefits arising from applying digital search and analysis to news from our most pervasive and persuasive medium— television. That’s why, we are thrilled to announce that the Internet Archive, one of the world’s largest public digital libraries, is expanding our television news research library to make readily available hundreds of thousands of hours of U.S. television news programs for users to search, quote and borrow.

The expansion plan is being supported by $1 million in funding from Knight Foundation. With this support, we will grow our TV News Search & Borrow service, which currently includes more than 400,000 broadcasts dating back to June 2009, to add hundreds of thousands of new broadcasts. This means helping inform and engage communities by strengthening the work of journalists, scholars, teachers, librarians, documentarians, civic organizations and others dedicated to public benefit.With TV News Search & Borrow, these folks can use closed captioning that accompany news programs to search for information. They can then browse short-streamed video clips and share links to specific ones. The research library does not facilitate downloading, but individuals can watch whole programs at Internet Archive headquarters in San Francisco, Calif., or borrow them on DVD-ROMs.

Along with ramping up our current offerings, Knight funding will help us add new features and website enhancements to improve user experience, strengthen audience engagement and integrate with media partner collections...
Read more (here).

Edvard

• Coding Snacks Author
  • Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2013, 08:13 PM »
Great interview with Brewster Kahle and a look inside the archive building.  Pretty neat!  :Thmbsup:

http://vimeo.com/59207751
archive.png

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2013, 09:00 PM »
Great interview with Brewster Kahle and a look inside the archive building.  Pretty neat!  :Thmbsup:
http://vimeo.com/59207751
(see attachment in previous post)
Thankyou! I hadn't spotted that. Very interesting.    :up:

By the way, you can download the video from here.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 09:09 PM by IainB, Reason: Added link to download the Vimeo video. »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NSA TV Clip Library at the Internet Archive
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 04:21 AM »
NSA TV Clip Library
Posted on October 21, 2013 by Roger Macdonald   

When the American people find out how their government has secretly interpreted the Patriot Act, they are going to be stunned and they are going to be angry.  Senator Ron Wyden May 26, 2011

Recent revelations of the extent of National Security Agency surveillance and weakening of our digital infrastructure give substance to the warnings of Senator Wyden and others. To assist journalists and other concerned citizens in reflecting on these issues, the Internet Archive has created a curated library of short television news clips presenting key statements and other representations.

NSA-issues TV News Quote Library
The experimental, Chrome and Safari only, library launches today with more than 700 chronologically ordered television citations drawn from the Archive’s television news research service. The TV quotes can be browsed by rolling over clip thumbnails, queried via transcripts and sorted for specific speakers. Citation links, context, links to source broadcasters and options to borrow can be explored by following the More/Borrow links on each thumbnail.