topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: Simple Media Transfer  (Read 7780 times)

eraz4323

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IDEA: Simple Media Transfer
« on: December 14, 2012, 08:38 AM »
A program for those who use removable drives for their media; car, cell phone (not smartphones), etc. I have yet to find a program, that will let me simply select all the audio or video files I want to transfer to a SD card. I mocked up an image showing what it would look like. Besides what the image shows, the program should have a pulldown menu, or another feature, that would allow the user to select between audio or video and automatically refresh the lists to only show the type that has been selected. It could also use an INI file, so settings can be changed, such as directories. There is also no need for a database, since all files would be read upon the program loading/refreshing the lists. Hopefully I've explained it well enough to make sense. Thanks.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: Simple Media Transfer
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 09:23 AM »
For NTFS drives you can search for multiple media file types using Everything Search  "ext:" like this:
ext: *.avi;*.mkv;*.mp3

just separate each extension with a semicolon.  Everything uses MFT structures from NTFS so it won't work on other file systems.  But on the thumb drive you could use Explorer "OR" search.
At the top of the drive or root folder you want to start the search, in the Explorer window search input use OR as in
*.mkv OR *.mp3

Once you have all the files in the list it's a matter of drag and drop.
If you keep a text file of various search strings then you don't have to remember the keywords.

I assume you've looked on the popular download sites. Have you also tried SourceForge

Sometimes there's a hidden gem in the open source programs.  Adding Win32 to the search usually narrows it to Windows utilities.

To do all that multiple search masking from scratch is half way to a file manager. It's already been done for free too many times to duplicate. I understand the particular feature may not be there. But fast searches can make up for a lot.  Even Windows Explorer non indexed search should be pretty fast if you are confined to a thumb drive, esp. if the folder tree is not very nested.

If you want to sync particular folders to each other, I'd recommend FreeCommander. It has an intuitive Folder Sync built in and is free, as the name suggests.  Each tab has it's own history. Once you sync a few folders clicking on the input line for each tab pops up a history and it's quick to select each side that way. Sync has a check box to recursively include subfolders or just sync the root folder on each side.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2012, 09:29 AM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 10:18 AM »
Also some of the programming forums have a sub-forum for example scripts, free utilities. Both ahk and autoit have them. The utilities are not always uploaded to the big download sites. You have to do a forum search to find them.

AutoIt Example Scripts

AHK scripts

eraz4323

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 04:09 PM »
Thanks for your suggestions, but you have missed the concept and seem rather pompous with your reply. Nevermind the idea.

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 04:40 PM »
I dunno, he's offering options and opinions - options and opinions that aren't necessarily what you want (in this case), but they're still relevant.

FWIW I think it's a good idea, I'd use it ...
Tom

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 05:16 PM »
I dunno, he's offering options and opinions - options and opinions that aren't necessarily what you want (in this case), but they're still relevant.

Seems like Windows people get bummed if they have to use more than one program. On Linux nobody bats and eye about stringing a half dozen applications together as each link in the chain is already proven. Esp. command line filter/pattern match etc..

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 04:51 PM »

Seems like Windows people get bummed if they have to use more than one program. On Linux nobody bats and eye about stringing a half dozen applications together as each link in the chain is already proven. Esp. command line filter/pattern match etc..

All I could see that you were doing was trying to help the guy and I didn't see anything "pompous".  Obviously just a troll or just a genuine a--hole.  Now that you know his demeaner, I wouldn't whizz up his butt if his guts were on fire.....

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 06:29 PM »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 09:02 AM »
All I could see that you were doing was trying to help the guy and I didn't see anything "pompous".  ______ ________________________________________________________________

jeez dude, we're all just people. Havent you ever misinterpreted someone's actions or statements? Or maybe overreacted to something? I know I sure have - I usually dont online cause I use the preview button a lot before I click the post button - but in the 'spoken' world it's different... LOL, I'd hate to have you looking over my shoulder + coming down like a ton of bricks if I ever made a mistake ;D
Tom

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 08:28 PM »
All I could see that you were doing was trying to help the guy and I didn't see anything "pompous".  ______ ________________________________________________________________

jeez dude, we're all just people. Havent you ever misinterpreted someone's actions or statements? Or maybe overreacted to something? I know I sure have - I usually dont online cause I use the preview button a lot before I click the post button - but in the 'spoken' world it's different... LOL, I'd hate to have you looking over my shoulder + coming down like a ton of bricks if I ever made a mistake ;D

Uh, kind of hard to read anything else into that post.  It's not like he made a "little innocent" mistake with his wording, spelling or grammar.  He was just being an ass with someone that was obviously trying to help him.  I have little patience with people like that.  I'd hate to see how well this site would be supported if more trolls/turd-heads made their way here.  I know I'd find a friendlier place to hang out....  ;)

But you can rest assured that I will NEVER "come down" on someone for spelling, grammar, or an "innocent" mistake.  In fact, I kind of despise spelling/grammar nazis, I find them rather smug.   8)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2012, 08:34 PM »
...In fact, I kind of despise spelling/grammar nazis, I find them rather smug.   8)
I think you may find that "Nazi" is a proper noun, and thus would always have a capital first letter in the noun and adjectival form...

;D

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2012, 09:35 PM »
...In fact, I kind of despise spelling/grammar nazis, I find them rather smug.   8)
I think you may find that "Nazi" is a proper noun, and thus would always have a capital first letter in the noun and adjectival form...

;D

Droll  :-* :P.