topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 11:21 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: What would YOU like to change in Win.8  (Read 3335 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What would YOU like to change in Win.8
« on: November 29, 2012, 05:00 AM »
There been reports of possible new Windows OS's already in 2013 - Windows "Blue" (dc).

I do have some ideas of what I'd like to change in Windows 8, but they mostly small. I'm not an original thinker in terms of GUI, but I do tend to have lots of ideas of how to fix minor problems. They need to cater more to people who are *not* using a touch screen. The ability to turn off some of these swipe gestures (they drive me mad when using a trackpad - things I didnt want or request poping up out of nowhere >:()

Funnily enough -even though it's something very superficial- I think if they made the Windows 8 desktop theme more like the tiled theme, people would find the dichotomy easier to take.

Now, I suspect many will say something along the lines of revert to Windows 7 (and have the touch interface seperate).
If that is roughly your response - then maybe you could say what changes you would like made to Windows 7 please thanks :P ;-)

WeWantYou.jpgWhat would YOU like to change in Win.8
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: What would YOU like to change in Win.8
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 07:01 AM »
If they would simply allow you to choose your windows manager (like you can with Linux) I'd be willing to overlook almost everything else they're doing that annoys me.  8)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 07:50 AM »
If they would simply allow you to choose your windows manager (like you can with Linux) ...

Can you explain "windows manager" to those of us who have no linux experience - or are just plain ignorant about it :-)

I use Gridmove and MoveIt, but I think you mean something else (?)
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 11:43 AM »
I think I was maybe a month too late with this thread :-\

here's a very early (2010) Win8 dc thread, looking for suggestions to imporve it
Windows 8 Requests
some interesting idea there (in case MS are reading ;-)
Tom

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 11:45 AM »
If they would simply allow you to choose your windows manager (like you can with Linux) ...

Can you explain "windows manager" to those of us who have no linux experience - or are just plain ignorant about it :-)

I use Gridmove and MoveIt, but I think you mean something else (?)
bump
do you mean like a shell?
Tom

kilele

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 01:27 PM »
I might be wrong but  40hz made reference to Linux providing the user with ways to customize/configure everything to have different desktop themes as in Windows but in Linux you may change everything: keyboard shortcuts, restriction of features to get a minimalist gui...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:36 PM by kilele »