topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:06 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Article about Duck Duck Go search engine in Washington Post this weekend  (Read 4760 times)

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hi.  The front page of the Business section of today's Washington Post (Nov. 11, 2012) has an interesting article about the search engine Duck Duck Go and its attempt to provide a better alternative to the increasingly commercialized Google.  The article is at
http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ducking-google-in-search-engines/2012/11/09/6cf3af10-2842-11e2-bab2-eda299503684_story.html (or, if that doesn't work, try http://tinyurl.com/cm6zk2t).

cmpm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
“The reality in the United States is that we still really only have two search engines — Google and Bing,” said Danny Sullivan, editor of SearchEngineLand.com. “I think it’s entirely unlikely that DuckDuckGo is gonna put Google on its back and crush it.”

Not so fast Danny.
I'd tend to lean towards, DuckDuckGo has made a huge difference in Google's amount of ads and search results.
Bing has put up a direct competitor, but DuckDuckGo has brought attention to superior alternatives for users.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
  I've been using DDG services since they started and haven't looked back to Bing since.  The main reason is because DDG don't track you, nor do they put all "Paid advertisers at the top.  I've had really good results from their search engine.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tinman, your reasons for using DDG are the same ones the Post article cites:
[The developer] bet there was a place in the market for a product capitalizing on users’ emerging annoyances with Google — its search results gamed by marketers; its pages cluttered with ads; every query tracked, logged and personalized to the point of creepiness.
The article talks about DDG as "an homage the original Google — a pure search engine — and its use is soaring...." 
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  At the moment, as the article points out, Google processes billions of searches per day, while DDG processes millions.

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Tinman, your reasons for using DDG are the same ones the Post article cites:
[The developer] bet there was a place in the market for a product capitalizing on users’ emerging annoyances with Google — its search results gamed by marketers; its pages cluttered with ads; every query tracked, logged and personalized to the point of creepiness.
The article talks about DDG as "an homage the original Google — a pure search engine — and its use is soaring...."  
It will be interesting to see how this plays out.  At the moment, as the article points out, Google processes billions of searches per day, while DDG processes millions.

Yep, I remember reading that little blurb on their site years ago, plus I read some reviews from PCWorld and ZDNet, which is why I started using it from the day I found out.  It's also faster than GoOgle.   lol  I don't like GoOgle, way too much spying and other creepiness about them.  Even their software has tracking stuff built in, which is why I don't use any of their software or services....