topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 1:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FundaGeek  (Read 3770 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FundaGeek
« on: November 03, 2012, 04:31 PM »
Have a new software idea? FundaGeek wants to help fund it.

This brand-new crowdfunding platform is targeted specifically at software developers.

http://www.pcworld.c...to-help-fund-it.html

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FundaGeek
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 06:09 PM »
I have the same problem with that one as IndieGoGo.  I think that the "get everything pledged at the end of the cycle" creates a few problems:
  • The success of the project is at risk at the end because they didn't received the requisite funds.
  • It lessens the need to plan as well, and execute on the bid, as the numbers are very fuzzy, and whatever you receive is going to you no matter what.
  • It lessens the imperative from a contributors side as even though they like it, there's no real reason to fund if they're going to have to complete the project no matter what.  You can more easily take the wait and see approach.

Of course, those are just my observations.  But I think more targeted approaches to the venture site both are a good idea (they help to target the audience by the platform) and a bad idea (they dilute the critical mass of the crowd).

It's a cool looking site.  One thing I don't understand is how to navigate, however, unless there are actually only two projects on there.

UPDATE: I figured out what the problem is.  If you go to the site from the linked article, it actually goes to a subcategory.  Go to the root of the site instead, and there is a browse link.