topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:37 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: DragonFly BSD now best platform for PostgreSQL and database hosting  (Read 4273 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
dragonflybsd.png The latest edition of DragonFly BSD has just been released. And it's developers/maintainers are reporting some interesting news (emphasis added):

The 3.2.1 release of DragonFly BSD is available now. Significant work has gone into the scheduler to improve performance, using postgres benchmarking as a measure. See the PDF of graphed results to see the improvements. DragonFly should be now one of the best selections for PostgreSQL and other databases. USB4BSD has been incorporated into this release. More USB devices are compatible with DragonFly, and xhci (USB 3.0) users may be able to take full advantage of their newer hardware.

They've posted a PDF of the performance graph. Link here.

If you are running an SQL database server, or responsible for administrating or deploying them, that claim may be a little too promising to simply ignore.
 8)

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: DragonFly BSD now best platform for PostgreSQL and database hosting
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2012, 05:08 AM »
We all know that BSD is the better server system.  8)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 07:05 AM »

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2012, 07:06 AM »
 :o

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2012, 10:41 AM »
In my experience, companies are not thrilled to leap from server OS to server OS for a few percent points of extra performance. And even if they want a new server there are such things as central management systems that may or may not have problems with this new version of DragonFly BSD.

Personally I do like PostgeSQL and whatever speed gains people can get out of it. In syntax very similar to Oracle, which is the beast I have most memorable (both good and bad) experience with. Just crossed the border of 0.5TByte databases with that one.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2012, 01:22 PM »
In my experience, companies are not thrilled to leap from server OS to server OS for a few percent points of extra performance. And even if they want a new server there are such things as central management systems that may or may not have problems with this new version of DragonFly BSD.

It's usually more that IT is not thrilled rather than management. ;D

But more seriously, DragonFly is BSD even though it's now technically a fork. So it shouldn't be a cultural or paradigm shift for most IT departments with BSD or Unix experience. And I really can't imagine any good reason for not running PostgreSQL (or MySQL or most any other non-Microsoft SQL database server) on anything other than a BSD core if a version is available for it. The cost savings can be significant. And BSD is as rock solid as an OS can get.

But maybe that's just me? ;D

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2012, 01:24 PM »
But more seriously, DragonFly is BSD even though it's now technically a fork.
All current BSDs are forks.