topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:50 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Windows Server 12 shipping Nov 1, 2012  (Read 6338 times)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Windows Server 12 shipping Nov 1, 2012
« on: October 29, 2012, 08:01 AM »
It's huge...it's here...it's cool...and, um...it's got the Metro interface. Better get over it! ;D

So ok...the latest incarnation of Microsoft's foray into SMB and Enterprise has finally arrived. And it looks remarkably promising (like most versions of Microsoft's server) even if it is sporting that annoying new front-end Microsoft insists is such an improvement.

With this release, Microsoft fully embraces virtualization and "cloud" technology - and significantly blurs the differences between "enterprise" and "non-enterprise" servers. This is not your grandfather's server by any stretch. There's a heavy emphasis on "private cloud" and virtualization strategies. Something which will soon redefine much of what (and how) things are done in the Microsoft ecosystem. About the only gotcha I can see that may create problems for organizations with a lot of legacy hardware is the new Hyper-V. The version supplied with this server now requires there be Secondary Level Address Translation support in the host CPU. Most Intel-based servers built in the last few years will have this however.

serverbook.jpgWindows Server 12 shipping Nov 1, 2012

Microsoft Press has published a 240+ page ebook (available free for download) that gets you up to speed on what this new puppy is all about. More info and download links here.

There's also a very good write-up (with a large number of screenshots) over at the ActiveNetwork website. (Link to full article here.)

Their conclusion reads as follows:

Windows Server 2012 represents a trend that has been happening since Windows Server 2008, a rapid pace of innovation. For many businesses, Windows 8 on the desktop might require careful planning in regards to deployment. With Windows Server 2012, it’s a different story, deploying Windows Server 2012 not only guarantees immediate productivity gains but significant value by bringing businesses the benefits of the Cloud while maintaining the assurance in on premises deployment that Administrators still depend on and prefer. Windows Server 2012 redefines scalability, a buzz word that you heard a lot more than a decade ago when Windows 2000 Server was launched. Windows Server 2012 really provides opportunities for businesses to not only consolidate on physical hardware investments, but eventually take their entire datacenter to the cloud using services such as Windows Azure. Private Clouds is a significant theme of this release and when you look at the features like Hyper-V Switch, Hyper-V Replica, Dynamic Memory improvements you sense this is a release built from the ground up for a new era in computing. Windows Server 2012 should be a breath of fresh air in many datacenters and if you have not investigated this release, you should start now.

Pro’s

Significant support in cloud computing.

Improvements in automation and deployment

Faster deployment of VMs in addition to management

Hyper-V features such as Replica and Hyper-V Switch

Improved Dynamic Memory support.

Active Directory Recycle Bin UI improvements for restoring objects

Enhanced Remote Management Tools for easier management of multiple servers

IIS 8 CPU utilization management and optimization options for websites.

Cons

Powershell 2.5 and .Net Framework 3.5 features do not work.

Metro interface might take some adjustment, especially navigation.

More clicks required than necessary for simple task.

I'm pretty much on record for being skeptical of what Windows 8 is bringing to the table. And I think my skepticism is largely justified. When it comes to Windows Server however, I think Microsoft has once again hit that elusive sweet spot for this type of system if it all works as advertised. And I have no reason to believe it won't based on my experiences with previous incarnations of Windows Server. Bill & Co. have always made a very good server.

Microsoft has 180-day trial versions available for download from TechNet. Link here. Hardware requirements are fairly minimal for this class of product : CPU 64-bit (1.4Ghz min/3.1 recommended); RAM 2Gb min/8Gb recommended ; HD 160Gb minimum; NIC 1-gigabit.

It's a whole new world folks! 8)

« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 10:15 AM by 40hz »

Josh

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Windows Server 12 shipping Nov 1, 2012
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 08:36 AM »
Also, if you are on dreamspark, you have had access to Server 2012 since late August :)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 09:24 AM »
nice, look forward to checking it out.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 09:33 AM »
Also, if you are on dreamspark, you have had access to Server 2012 since late August :)

@Josh - Thx for bringing that up. :Thmbsup:

Anybody who qualifies (i.e students and schools) for Dreamspark - and doesn't take advantage of it - is missing out on terrific resource. If you're a student who does anything with Microsoft technology, get over there and check it out. Do it today!

About Dreamspark
what is DreamSpark?

DreamSpark is a Microsoft Program that supports technical education by providing access to Microsoft software for learning, teaching and research purposes.

DreamSpark is simple: it's all about giving students Microsoft professional-level developer and designer tools at no cost so that students can chase their dreams and create the next big breakthrough in technology - or just get a head start on their career.

DreamSpark helps educators teach the latest technologies and experiment in research. Microsoft knows that to make learning more motivating, relevant, and engaging for today's students requires a diverse set of resources. DreamSpark gives educators the resources to ensure their classrooms always have the latest technologies to challenges, motivate, and keep students engaged in new ways.

DreamSpark is also a subscription for Academic Institutions: it provides a cost-effective way to put Microsoft developer tools, platforms and servers in labs and classrooms, and on their students’ and faculty’s computers for learning and research purposes. It reduces lab costs and teaching budgets.

8) :Thmbsup: 8)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 10:03 AM »
"Buddy" of mine just sent me this...

sb.jpg

(I'll be getting some new friends shortly.) ;D

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 10:23 AM »
Ballmer's face...it's so perfect for his personality.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 10:52 AM »
Ballmer's face...it's so perfect for his personality.

He always reminded me of the old Warner cartoon character Michigan J. Frog. (In every sense of the word.)

michjfrog.gif

;)

superboyac

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 11:01 AM »
I freaking love that cartoon.  because of that cartoon, I'll never be able to NOT play hello ma baby on the piano.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 12:05 PM »
It's huge...it's here...it's cool...and, um...it's got the Metro interface. Better get over it!

Given that they finally came up with a layout for Server Manager that doesn't suck, metro is actually a bit of a plus for server. Everything you're likely to need is either easy to find in SM, or accessible via CMD.

I'm currently in the process of deploying a 2012 server for a new client.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 12:22 PM »

Cool! Could you keep us posted on how you're provisioning it and how it works out? Thx :) :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 01:34 PM »

Cool! Could you keep us posted on how you're provisioning it and how it works out? Thx :) :Thmbsup:

Unfortunately this dep isn't that exciting. It's just going in as a single DC/file server for a small training facility. I put the OS on a 100GB partition and after configuring the usual AD/DHCP/DNS stuff there is 89.1GB still free.

The setup was (mostly automated, and) straightforward enough that I don't think it's actually possible to screw it up...Although the configuring AD after the install/reboot part did throw me a bit at first. Bare drive to active domain took less than an hour on a Dell R310.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 02:18 PM »
^Still good to hear about it. One live deployment at a client site is worth 20 test setups back in the 'lab.'

But you already know that. ;D :Thmbsup: