topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: A Large Database Of Free Games  (Read 26802 times)

gameaddict20

• Joined in 2011
  • Where is my crowbar?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
A Large Database Of Free Games
« on: October 26, 2012, 10:27 AM »
Hi guys,
thefreegamesdb.com is a large (400+) database of freeware/indie free to play games with direct download links, they are all free, legal, ad free, and most come close to big studio/publisher standards, in fact some are even big publisher games released as freeware. The site also allows anyone to add games, artwork, reviews and ratings.
Just wanted to get some feedback on the looks, usability and your general opinions about it.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: A Large Database Of Free Games
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 12:37 PM »
Awesome! Some very good stuff there. Nice site! :Thmbsup:

That said, I have to say I don't really care for the interface on the main pages. It's a clever and attractive concept. But I quickly got bored clicking what's basically a slideshow while looking to see what was available. I think the presentation on the Search by Genres link and actual search pages themselves are much more practical and pleasant to use.

Screenshot from 2012-10-26 13:36:08.png

Suggestion: move the 'search by genre' link. I almost didn't notice it on the bottom of the page. Especially since it was just a text link that fell below the fold. Maybe put it on a big honking button up top somewhere? I can't speak for everyone, but when it comes to games, I'm definitely a genre shopper. And so are most of my gaming friends.

Take a look at how Good Old Games does stuff on their website. They do several things to make it convenient for their visitors to find and drill down to the information they're looking for. Some of what they do might be worth using for inspiration.

gameaddict20

• Joined in 2011
  • Where is my crowbar?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2012, 12:29 PM »
I've changed the menu system and added a suggestion to search, what do you think? Improvement?
(May have to clear cache)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 02:32 PM »
I've changed the menu system and added a suggestion to search, what do you think? Improvement?
(May have to clear cache)

The new menu is a definite improvement IMHO. I really really like it. :Thmbsup:

Also thank you for covering Linux games. I think a site as professional looking as yours will help make people much more aware of some of the really good games available for that platform.

You need to check the accuracy of some entries however. For example, FlightGear shows as being "Windows" only when it in fact is available for Windows XP thru 7, OSX 10.6 thru 10.8, as well as Linux and BSD. Look here.

fgscreenshot.png

Suggest having multi-platform games display "Multiple" with a mouse over that then shows exactly which.

I'd also suggest putting a link to an "about" page on the menu bar. Many people like to know who they're dealing with, what the site's mission statement is, and some miscellaneous background on how the site came to be. It's that personal touch that makes for a more vibrant community - and also goes a long way towards allaying fears that yours might be a scam or a pirated software site they've landed on.

:Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: October 27, 2012, 02:45 PM by 40hz »

gameaddict20

• Joined in 2011
  • Where is my crowbar?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 06:36 PM »
I've updated the game pages and edit and add pages along with a alphabet filter. What do you think?
Personally I think it looks 100x better than the previous interface.
Also 40hz I really appreciate your help, its really made a massive difference to the site :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2012, 07:26 PM »
I've updated the game pages and edit and add pages along with a alphabet filter. What do you think?
Personally I think it looks 100x better than the previous interface.
Also 40hz I really appreciate your help, its really made a massive difference to the site :)

My pleasure. That's what gets done at DoCo. Members helping members. It's a good community.

re changes: Nice additional touches. It does look better. Classy and functional. I also see you got multiple platforms to show. Well done.

Alphabet filter is a great idea. Especially for smartphone browsers or people accessing your site through a slow connection.

I took the liberty of registering btw. I really like the "not too dark" look in the member area. That mango/peach orange and charcoal color scheme is very attractive. Easy on the eyes and not difficult to read either (unlike so many dark themes).

I think, from a site design perspective, you're hitting all the right notes. Keep up the good work. :Thmbsup:

If there's anything I can help you with don't hesitate to ask. Also feel free to PM me here anytime. :)
« Last Edit: October 28, 2012, 07:32 PM by 40hz »

gameaddict20

• Joined in 2011
  • Where is my crowbar?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 09:01 AM »
I've been hard at work adding and updating. The site now has a points system and a shop to spend those points, with items for purchase such as GameManager license keys and pc games. What do you think? Like the points system? Any ideas how I can get more people to contribute to the community?

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2013, 03:56 AM »
Add:

Blizzard's 16-bit platformer Blackthorne is now available as free download:
https://us.battle.net/account/download/

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 05:39 AM »
Very nice site.  I may have to download some of these for my older people to play on their computers instead of getting a virus from the online game sites.

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 10:22 AM »
Add:

Blizzard's 16-bit platformer Blackthorne is now available as free download:
https://us.battle.net/account/download/

Thanks!  I really loved this game (still play it in dosbox)... good to see it available again.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2013, 02:47 AM »
About thefreegamesdb.com:

it should have a separate page with games with highest score mentioned so I don't have to check all of them to see all the ratings ...

Frogatto & Friends is not free ... http://www.frogatto.com/download
« Last Edit: November 07, 2013, 02:58 AM by panzer »

Ampa

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • I am cute ;)
    • View Profile
    • MonkeyDash - 2 Player strategy boardgame
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2013, 08:38 AM »
Frogatto & Friends is not free ... http://www.frogatto.com/download

But it is Pay What You Want at the http://IndieGameStand.com right now and for the next 14hours!

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2013, 03:31 PM »
It used to be free. But it went commercial.

Interestingly enough, the link to the free version (v1.1.1) still works on the free games database.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2013, 03:32 AM »

Yup. It was called Frogatto then. Commercial version is called Frogatto&Friends, but also only Frogatto. It looks like they can't decide how to call their game ... :)

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 12:05 AM »

Yup. It was called Frogatto then. Commercial version is called Frogatto&Friends, but also only Frogatto. It looks like they can't decide how to call their game ... :)

What is the difference between Frogatto and Frogatto and Friends? Maybe this will explain it:

Our earlier versions were freeware in order to attract feedback and some more developers for the team (including myself!). Our constant progress on developing the game has given us the confidence to sell and promote it commercially now - we're okay with people having access to those earlier versions for free, but onwards the stuff we're working on will be exclusive to commercial releases.
And it's a lot of great stuff - there'll be two new bosses and a completely reworked powerup system for the version we're currently working on, displayed on the trailer; we have at least another 2-4 big releases planned for the game after that.
Right now, yes, the free version in the Ubuntu repositories is the same as the version on Desura/Humble Store/IGS, sans some bugfixes, but that'll change quite soon.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2013, 02:54 AM »
THE DARK MOD 2.0 is a free, first-person stealth game inspired by the Thief series by Looking Glass Studios. It recreates the essence of the original Thief games on a more modern engine. Both a game and a mission-creation platform, The Dark Mod allows players and mappers alike to enjoy missions in a gothic steampunk universe.

As of October, 2013, TDM 2.0 is now completely standalone, and no longer requires Doom3:
http://www.thedarkmod.com/main/

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2013, 02:54 AM »

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2014, 03:48 AM »
Game to watch:
"... Unreal Tournament development starts today. This game will be free. Not free to play, just free ...":
https://wiki.unreale...om/Unreal_Tournament