topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Monday April 15, 2024, 11:03 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Warrantless Wiretapping  (Read 2537 times)

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Warrantless Wiretapping
« on: October 19, 2012, 08:27 PM »
EFF Opposes US's State Secrets Claim (Again) in Warrantless Wiretapping Case

EFF filed its latest brief in the Jewel v. NSA case, aiming to stop the government from engaging in mass warrantless collection of emails, phone calls, and customer records of ordinary Americans. The matter is set for hearing on December 14, 2012 in federal court in San Francisco, on the question of whether these Americans will get their day in court.

https://www.eff.org/...te-secrets-jewel-nsa

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
Re: Warrantless Wiretapping
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2012, 09:33 PM »
Once again, the government is arguing that the courts cannot consider whether the government is breaking the law and violating the Constitution, relying on the state secrets doctrine.

Translation: The law is irrelevant. We should be able to do whatever we want without respect to the rule of law or any other consideration.

The government asserts that, even if no further information is revealed in the litigation, a decision itself is too dangerous.

Translation: Not letting us do whatever we want is dangerous, because we have guns and will use them if you insist on silly things like the rule of law.

Just how insane does this all get?  :huh:
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2012, 08:07 PM »

I fear we have only seen the tip of the iceburg.  When our own government refuses to follow the Constitution of the U.S., we have become a police state.  Sad how the gov't and rich can get away with it, but yet any average Joe goes against the Constitution and he/she goes directly to jail.

Renegade

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Tell me something you don't know...
    • View Profile
    • Renegade Minds
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2012, 09:11 PM »

I fear we have only seen the tip of the iceburg.  When our own government refuses to follow the Constitution of the U.S., we have become a police state.  Sad how the gov't and rich can get away with it, but yet any average Joe goes against the Constitution and he/she goes directly to jail.

Which is why Bernie Madoff was prosecuted - he stole from rich people. They count. We don't.
Slow Down Music - Where I commit thought crimes...

Freedom is the right to be wrong, not the right to do wrong. - John Diefenbaker