topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: NANY 2013 Conditional Pledge: Simple picture gallery  (Read 4730 times)

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
NANY 2013 Conditional Pledge: Simple picture gallery
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:03 AM »
Hi all,

I am not sure whether this is the right project for NANY or whether it would be useful for anyone at all. So, I pledge to finish this project only if there are 3 people, who pledge to use it. If I cannot find those 3 people in the next month, I'll come with another idea for NANY.

The "Simple picture gallery" (to be named properly) is a set of few PHP scripts for people, who want to run their own small online photo gallery. I know that this is hardly original and there are numerous ways how to present your photos online right now, but let me tell you why I decided to do this. My grandmother started painting after she retired some 20 years ago and during the years, she painted over 100 pictures. This year, we decided it would be nice to have her work presented online. I was searching for a suitable script that we could use, but find nothing that really fit. The free solutions were usually crappy, overcomplicated or hard to navigate. So I (with a little help) made my own script that is:
  • Easy to install - no database required
  • Easy to maintain - pictures are added/deleted via dropbox (but this is a bit hacky right now)
  • Accessible - my grandmother is in her eighties and can navigate the site just fine
  • Pictures are priority, everything else is a distraction
You can check out the gallery in action right now at http://www.linetova.cz/ (best viewed in Chrome, but any decent browser is fine).

This gallery is for people, who want to present a limited amount of carefully prepared pictures to the audience. There are no folders and I do not intend to add them in the near future.

The gallery definitely NOT the right solution for people, who shoot hundreds of photos with their digital camera on every vacation and need a place to dump them to never be seen again.

So, are there 3 people, who would be interested in having such gallery on their web sites? If yes, please reply to this thread - I really need those 3 pledges and I will actually want your websites with photos to be ready and working on Jan 1st so that people can see the script in action and everything is smooth.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 05:39 AM by vlastimil »

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2013 Conditional Pledge: Simple picture gallery
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 05:23 AM »
Just wanted to say:

Nice paintings!

and:

Mmm, read-ahead cache for slideshow?

vlastimil

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 05:38 AM »

Mmm, read-ahead cache for slideshow?

Not sure if that is a suggestion or a question, but since part of the next image is displayed on the right side of the window, it is actually pre-loaded when the picture changes (that is, if the connection is not too slow and those few seconds of delay in the slideshow is enough time).

ewemoa

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2012, 05:44 AM »
It was a sign of appreciation :)