topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In Search Of Good Web Based RSS Reader  (Read 5468 times)

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
In Search Of Good Web Based RSS Reader
« on: September 18, 2012, 02:00 AM »
For the longest time I have been using Google Reader as my RSS reader. While I kind of like it, I don't like how it auto marks things as read as I scroll through them.
Recently I switched to netvibes, because it requires you to click on the feed item to mark it as read. I really enjoy it, but it randomly marks items as unread, sometimes multiple times.

So what I am looking for is a good RSS reader that is web based so that I don't have to download anything and can for example go over to my friend's house and read/watch some of the items.
It has to be able to mark items as read/unread (I have ran across a few web readers that don't have this option.)
It shouldn't randomly make read items unread again (I'm talking about you netvibes!)
It would be nice if it would have nice organization features, or at least not implode on itself if I have TONS of feed that each have TONS of unread items (I use rss to keep track of all my youtube subs since the homepage is utter crap, and some of the youtubers I am subscribed to upload several videos every day, and I don't watch all of them each day.)
Don't go out of your way for this feature, but it would also be nice if there were either a bookmarklet/extension for chrome that would let me add new feeds.

If there is a better alternative to rss (and Youtube's terrible homepage) feel free to include that too.
[Insert really cool signature here]

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: In Search Of Good Web Based RSS Reader
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 02:38 AM »
Turn off the "In expanded view, mark items as read when you scroll past them." option in google reader.

You may also like the following greasemonkey scripts for Google Reader:

Google Reader Sanity

Google Reader Subscribers Count

GReader Favicon Alerts

Smart Google Subscriber

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2012, 02:47 AM »
Turn off the "In expanded view, mark items as read when you scroll past them." option in google reader.

:o That must be a relatively new feature. It was not there when I abandoned google reader for netvibes.
I might have to switch back to google reader.
I guess then the only question I have left then is I heard that google reader automatically marks an item as read if it is older than 30 days, Does it still do this? (I guess it isn't too bad if it does, I'll just have to read my items faster.)

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2012, 02:53 AM »
It sometimes automatically marks old items read, but I am not sure if it is based on a 30 days rule or some other mechanism.

nite_monkey

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Just Plain Super
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 02:58 AM »
I guess it isn't that big of a deal. I'm just glad the auto mark as read feature has been fixed. :Thmbsup:

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 05:45 AM »
The auto mark as read off feature has been there for awhile. (At least as old as the previous version of Google Reader.)

Sadly there's no clear alternative. Bloglovin has a shorter tolerance for read messages but it has a clearer mark as read button. Newsblur is the only other new web rss reader that isn't based on Google Reader.

If you want better Google Reader lay-outs that doesn't implode on itself, you're still stuck with installing something like Feedly on your browser which uses Google Reader on top of it.

My personal preference for implosion handling though is Feedsquare which again is an interface built on top of Google Reader feeds https://chrome.googl...ogkkeedfnjkldecloidi. There's a much more powerful version called Newsquare but I don't use that because it puts me on notification hell.

All those require split minute installations sadly.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2012, 06:02 AM »
I think you may find that you can pretty much get Google Reader to stand on its head nowadays, using add-ons and Greasemonkey scripts.
What you want seems fairly simple to achieve. For example, as an alternative to disabling auto mark as read:

Google Reader options 01.jpg

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2012, 03:46 AM »
I use newsblur, went away from google reader when it removed the social element. Might revisit it in the light of G+

Newsblur has some nice features, but it, too, marks things read when you browse by default. But the configuration supports "mark as read after n seconds" and "mark as read on keypress".
The tool has some intelligence to it, sharing (both publishing to blogs and sites, and creating your own share feed within newsblur. I dont use mine much but it would be http://superiphi.newsblur.com), saving - the usual stuff.

http://www.newsblur.com/