topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:53 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Trick-or-treat caramel onions  (Read 10881 times)

Arizona Hot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Trick-or-treat caramel onions
« on: September 12, 2012, 11:45 AM »
Has anyone here given these out or gotten one(or are the mothers too paranoid about razor blades and needles)?

Trick-or-treat carmel onions.jpgTrick-or-treat caramel onions

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Trick-or-treat caramel onions
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 02:28 PM »
That's hilarious. It's both a trick AND a treat! But when I was a kid my mom made me throw away anything that wasn't still in it's original wrapping. If it wasn't wrapped, it went in the trash.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 02:30 PM »
I think I want to try one of those. What type of onion do they use? :P

--------------

My town pretty much killed the practice of door-to-door 'trick or treating.' The town now throws parties at the schools for the kids.

That's hilarious. It's both a trick AND a treat! But when I was a kid my mom made me throw away anything that wasn't still in it's original wrapping. If it wasn't wrapped, it went in the trash.

candyApple_oneDone.jpg

Pretty much the rule in my house too except we were allowed to keep things like red candy apples (which were the Holy Grail of Halloween treats!) or some of those little mixed treat bags, provided we and our parents "knew" the neighbors who gave them to us. And since everybody knew everybody around where I lived, we got to keep most of what we collected - as long as we stayed in the immediate neighborhood.

Note: it was a disaster of near biblical proportions when the neighborhood grandmother "old Mrs. Blier" finally turned 70 and moved down to N. Carolina to live with her daughter and son-in-law. That was the end of red candy apples on Halloween in my neighborhood. She was one sweet lady. She used to do an 'open house' for the kids on Halloween. She provided treats, hot cider, a bathroom to use so you didn't need to go back home to use one. It was like a Halloween homebase for us. And she made these fantastic (extra-cinnamon!) red candy apples. Sometimes (if she thought the other kids weren't looking) she'd slip an extra candy apple into your bag - always with a wink and an admonishment not to "say anything about it" to the other kids. However, truth was, almost all of us ended up getting a second apple that way before the night was over.  ;D

Halloween just wasn't the same once she was gone. :(

« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 02:58 PM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2012, 03:12 PM »
Well, I used to cook steak with carmelised onions (fry onions with a little sugar till they brown).
Onions are quite sweet when cooked, so why not go the whole hog and do caramel ones -
I'd try them :-*
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2012, 03:31 PM »
Well, I used to cook steak with carmelised onions (fry onions with a little sugar till they brown).
Onions are quite sweet when cooked, so why not go the whole hog and do caramel ones -
I'd try them :-*

Agree. Sounds like it should work! :Thmbsup:

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2012, 04:19 PM »
I was in the Kamieskroon Hotel in the Namaqualand area of South Africa's Cape Province once, on a photographic holiday.  At the end of the week, the hotelier politely offered us "Kamieskroon olives."  They turned out to be grapes...  pickled in brandy  :)  Definitely not for kids!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 04:38 PM »
^"We wants it we does. Gives it to usss!"  ;D

Now that I'm definitely gonna try. We've already got glass topped canning jars...and some nice brandy nobody is drinking. All I'd need to get is some grapes - and I have to do some grocery shopping tonight anyway!

Mix 1 tea. lemon juice with 1/4 c. honey 2 Tab of Drambuie or cognac with 1 lb seedless green grapes mix well Let stand in fidg four hour before serving. Pour over1./2c. sour cream and brown sugar to taste. return to fridg til ready to serve. Serve in champagne or large stemmed wine glass.
kades

Just have to try a few variations and see which combo of sugar/honey/citrus juice works best. :up:

Or maybe try this one
 8)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:45 PM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2012, 05:11 PM »
Now that I'm definitely gonna try. We've already got glass topped canning jars...and some nice brandy nobody is drinking. All I'd need to get is some grapes - and I have to do some grocery shopping tonight anyway!

If you want to make something that will keep and taste reasonably good, I think you're better off starting with dried fruit of your choice.
I've tried keeping fresh fruit in alcohol -it did keep- but it wasnt very successful tastewise. OTOH I've tasted dried fruit soaked for a few years in strong alcohol and it tasted good.

I made sloe gin one year (that's made with fresh sloes) - it's very tasty if you like liqueur (@40 proof is it still "just" a liqueur?). I dont myself, but it tasted absolutely super in fruit salad.
Tom

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2012, 05:36 PM »
I've tried keeping fresh fruit in alcohol -it did keep- but it wasnt very successful tastewise. OTOH I've tasted dried fruit soaked for a few years in strong alcohol and it tasted good.

I've done that too with dried apricots, pineapple, and some canned cubed fruit. We call it "stoned fruit" in my house. It's great on frozen yogurt. We make brandied pears for the holidays, which are also great, but don't really keep that well. It's sort of a seasonal treat around here, making it's first appearance at Thanksgiving and then very occasionally up until New Years Day dinner. I've also done fermented fruit with canned fruits although I no longer have the 'seed' culture. I got tired of throwing so much of it out because people weren't eating enough of it. (You have to keep adding new fruit and consuming the old so it doesn't get too strong!)

FWIW I'm not so interested in it keeping most stuff for years. Anything that's good doesn't last too long around here. If we like it, we'll just glom and then make more. And anything that isn't too popular just ends up getting tossed or mulched. I'm more interested in discovering new recipes.
 ;D

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 05:55 PM »
I'm more interested in discovering new recipes.

one I've had here that was very good was "rumtopf". The one I had was made with mainly fresh fruit (apples, pears, not sure what else) and some dried fruit -currants or raisins -the ones without the seeds.
I dont know how long it needs to be steeped for, but I'm sure you'll find a recipie out there ;-)

I've also done fermented fruit with canned fruits although I no longer have the 'seed' culture.

??? whats that? or, more to the point, howzat done?

Tom
« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 05:58 PM by tomos, Reason: very minor »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2012, 06:16 PM »
^Like making yogurt or cheese. Start with a small batch of fermenting fruit which somebody gave you. (I think the person who stated it got champagne yeast from a home brewing store.)
Put it in a large glass topped jar. Add drained canned fruit. Cubed pineapple, peaches, and pears work best. Fruit cocktail also works. Add back a little of the canned syrup from the peaches or pears. Gently mix, cover, and leave alone for a few days. Sniff and consume when alchohol level gets where you want it. Reserve a few ounces as the starter for the next batch.

If you let it sit too long the alcohol content will get too high, which ruins the fruit flavor - and also kills the yeast culture. So you need to be eating and replenishing your batch on a regular basis.

Thats about it. :)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2012, 04:04 AM »
Reminds me of neuer wein (Federweisser/wikipedia) you get here in late-summer/early-autumn. It's basically fermented grape juice. I like it myself before it get's too strong. When it has a bit of alcohol in it, I find it has quite a different effect to 'normal' alcohol - spaced feeling, headache/hangover kicks in very quick. Around here (Pfalz), they eat zwiebelkuchen (onion 'cake'/tart) with it. Nice, but a dangerously explosive combination for me...

:-[
Tom

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2014, 05:39 AM »

They look like white.  :P  Devious, demented, harmless idea.
---------

Any naked-apples were tossed on the givers swale.  A heads-up for others.  (pre porch-light etiquette)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2014, 06:47 AM »

They look like white.  :P  Devious, demented, harmless idea.

With any luck they're Vidalia