topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 3:01 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: TCPA ... Scary stuff  (Read 5681 times)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
TCPA ... Scary stuff
« on: April 15, 2006, 05:00 AM »
Anyone heard about this http://www.againsttc...om/what-is-tcpa.html

It makes scary reading and if true ....

gjehle

• Joined in 2006
  • lonesome linux warrior
    • View Profile
    • Open Source Corner
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: TCPA ... Scary stuff
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2006, 06:15 AM »
Anyone heard about this http://www.againsttc...om/what-is-tcpa.html

It makes scary reading and if true ....
-Carol Haynes (April 15, 2006, 05:00 AM)

errr yes, like.. years ago
and it still gives me the shivers

make sure to watch this brilliant animated short about trusted computing:
http://www.lafkon.net/tc/

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2006, 06:33 AM »
TCPA... Just say NO to Windows Vista.
- carpe noctem

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2006, 06:51 AM »
It'll never happen. Well, not in the next 10 years at least.

Case and point:
The largest part of all software that's used on this planet would not be usable.

Does anyone remember the "competing" digital video format when DVDs just hit the market? I may be mistaken, but I think it was called Divx (as odd as that is). The way it would have worked is you would buy a Divx player that would have a modem built in. If you wanted to buy a movie they would only cost about $5, initially at least. You would get about 3 plays for free, but every viewing after that would cost a couple dollars. The technology didn't lack in "backers" either, I don't remember many of them, but Disney was on the list. Well, long story short, it flopped. So much so, that most people probably don't even know it existed.

People are stupid, but they weren't stupid enough to buy in to paying Disney $2 every time their 6 year old watches <insert Disney title>! And we're certainly not stupid enough to buy in to this.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2006, 09:52 AM »
It'll never happen. Well, not in the next 10 years at least.

Case and point:
The largest part of all software that's used on this planet would not be usable.

Does anyone remember the "competing" digital video format when DVDs just hit the market? I may be mistaken, but I think it was called Divx (as odd as that is). The way it would have worked is you would buy a Divx player that would have a modem built in. If you wanted to buy a movie they would only cost about $5, initially at least. You would get about 3 plays for free, but every viewing after that would cost a couple dollars. The technology didn't lack in "backers" either, I don't remember many of them, but Disney was on the list. Well, long story short, it flopped. So much so, that most people probably don't even know it existed.

People are stupid, but they weren't stupid enough to buy in to paying Disney $2 every time their 6 year old watches <insert Disney title>! And we're certainly not stupid enough to buy in to this.

Are you sure?

Everybody Loves Vista (TM) because of yet another layer of lame fisher-price graphics. Most people don't know about the DRM it will contain, and will willingly install Vista just because it looks pretty. Not stupid enough?  :-\
- carpe noctem

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2006, 07:07 PM »
No, I guess I'm not sure.

I do remember before XP came out (maybe even ME too), people were saying that windows would be able to go through your music collection and delete stuff you didn't legitimately own. It of course that never happened.
I think it'll be the same with WinV, a lot of hysteria that will fizzle after a month of it being released.

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2006, 07:13 PM »
No, I guess I'm not sure.

I do remember before XP came out (maybe even ME too), people were saying that windows would be able to go through your music collection and delete stuff you didn't legitimately own. It of course that never happened.
I think it'll be the same with WinV, a lot of hysteria that will fizzle after a month of it being released.

Considering that the hardware-assisted Palladium exists, I'm afraid it could be reality this time. "It's just for Corporate PCs where we need the security" - yeah, right.
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2006, 07:15 PM »
Interesting (relevant) quote from Fred Langa's current newsletter:

Well, no big surprise, Apple's recent announcement of how its new Intel-based PCs can seamlessly run Windows was hailed by some as an example of wonderful Apple technology. But along with that came the other news: Apple is using DRM code--- digital rights management--- built into the Intel CPUs it's using to ensure that the Mac OS can only run on Apple hardware.

It's a wholly arbitrary restriction: There is no technical reason whatsoever why Apple couldn't let its OS run on Gateways, or Dells, or whatnot. But Apple wants all the profits--- software *and* hardware--- for itself.

So you don't have to look to evil governments to find examples of the use of low-level hardware trickery. It's happening right here, right now.

Hirudin

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2006, 09:26 PM »
Interesting.

Apple has always been that way. I would personally like to try out the Apple OS, but I'm sure as hell not going to buy "different" hardware to do it! Apple is way worse than Microsoft when it comes to restricting access to their hardware/software.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2006, 09:31 PM by Hirudin »

f0dder

• Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2006, 03:17 AM »
Things are changing...

* f0dder does a scared little dance.
- carpe noctem

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2006, 04:59 AM »
I wonder if Apple's approach could be referred to the courts as a restrictive practice? Now MacOSX can be run on PC hardware artificially restricting the ability to do that may push Apple into the same quagmire as Microsoft!