topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 9:02 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Is it still functional?  (Read 21969 times)

dwayne2005

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Is it still functional?
« on: April 09, 2006, 11:37 PM »
All of a sudden, the software ceased working for me. It hasn't worked in several days now.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Is it still functional?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2006, 11:43 PM »
google may have changed the url codes for translation that might be breaking it.. i'll look into it and release an update if so.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2006, 06:09 AM »
I've updated the program to work with new google changes and added a bunch of features and bugfixes.

Thank you dwayne for alerting me to the issue  :Thmbsup:

dwayne2005

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2006, 09:55 PM »
Just ran through it for the first time in a while, and it's now returning an error message as follows:

Error: could not find result translation on result page.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 10:41 PM »
ok, ill try to have a new version by this coming monday at the very latest.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 10:48 PM »
man, google just can't stop tinkering with their programs..

Alexmac

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Problems with New Version
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2009, 10:32 AM »
The new version of Boomerang worked the first 5 times I used it, but now there are a lot of errors.  I follow the exact same steps I successfully followed the first 5 times, but now no text appears in the "Translated Text" box, and "Add to and edit favorites" creates a text file that is similarly truncated--shows only the original. It looks like Google translator may have changed their program again. Can you check this?  I would really like to use this program!  Thanks.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2009, 10:48 AM »
dont use it for 10 minutes or so and then try again.. see if google might be actually blocking you after using it too much in a short period.  if you have unchecked the option to pause between calls, check that box.

Alexmac

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2009, 10:59 AM »
Thanks, Mouser.  These tests were performed over several days, with far more than 10 mins between attempts, and many restarts on all 3 PC's where we were trying out Boomerang.  So if 10 mins is the relevant increment, it doesn't seem as if google is blocking us.  I will check "pause between calls" and see if that works.  FYI, another kind of error: even when the "debug" window and the "save file to favorites" show some truncated translation activity, *no* text whatsoever appears in the "Translated text" box.  Strange hu?  Also, at some points, when say 3 languages have been checked, a translation is returned but only for the first of the languages.  This is when the "show all steps" option is checked, and of course in the past this has shown all the steps the program travels in executing its multiple translations.  Thanks again.

Alexmac

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2009, 11:06 AM »
Hi again.  Ok, checking "pause between calls" didn't fix the problem.  For my short sentence, I tried groups of 3 and 5 languages, with "show each step" checked.  In each case, boomerang returns 3 or 5 identical versions of the original, respectively.  I know this is an error from having used google trans many times via Boomerang and on the google site.  No translation is ever identical to the original, esp. in a case like Eng-Kor-Eng, so it seems like something is amiss.  Hope this further info helps...Thanks again.

Alexmac

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2009, 09:54 AM »
Update.  Today so far everything works perfectly.  We are following your suggestions about keeping "Pause between" selected and continuing to wait 10 mins between submissions.  Will keep you posted.  Thanks for your help.  --Alex

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2009, 10:01 AM »
you shouldnt have to wait 10 minutes between submissions, i was just trying to imagine a worst case scenario where you needed to give google time to unblock you, if that was indeed what was happening.

i think with the pause you should be able to use it as often as you can generate requests.  but i have noticed that if i take off the pause i start to get blocked.  so that pause is important if you plan on using it regularly.

email me with sample text if you still think there are still issues about translations not being decoded properly.

Alexmac

• Participant
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 10:10 AM »
Ok, we will try it without waiting 10 minutes between passes.  It is really helpful to know that enabling "Pause Between Passes" can make the difference between successful and unsuccessful use of the program (if that's what's going on).  Maybe you can emphasize the benefits of checking this box in future versions.  In the meantime, we are really enjoying using the program and exploring the results.  It's a great idea for a program.  I have not forgotten to donate and will be sending a donation at the end of this month when I get a paycheck.  Thanks