topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 3:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Can Firefox Quick Find "shift"-hotkey be removed?  (Read 4454 times)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Can Firefox Quick Find "shift"-hotkey be removed?
« on: June 15, 2012, 10:28 AM »
I am getting really tired with Firefox's Quick Find being activated whenever I use the Shift button. Why did Mozilla even give this feature a hotkey? Quick Find will be working once the user starts typing (anywhere outside a writer's area), so it doesn't need any hotkey at all!
 :mad:

Please tell me how to remove this hotkey from Firefox/Waterfox Quick Find, if possible.
 :tellme:

Edit
: Due to confusing I must clarify that I mean, "Shift+whatever".
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:05 PM by Curt »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can Firefox Quick Find "shift"-hotkey be removed?
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 01:25 PM »
Firefox's Quick Find being activated whenever I use the Shift button.
What are you talking about???? Been using FF for 6+ years now, and not once has Shift ever lead me into any find-mode? Does some plug-in you're using add this feature?

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2012, 02:03 PM »
ehh... I should of course had said something like "Shift+whatever".
 :-[

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2012, 02:08 PM »
Oh, that's the default Quick-find feature I've come to love and like over the years :up: and isn't liminted to Shift+something, even just typing "something" does that quick-find thing :)

It can easily be disabled from the Extra/Options/Advanced/General settings page, second checkbox (dunno what your translation is, smt like "search for text when starting to type" (roughly translated from my localized FF :-[)

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 02:15 PM »
Why did Mozilla even give this feature a hotkey? Quick Find will be working once the user starts typing (anywhere outside a writer's area), so it doesn't need any hotkey at all!

I like the Quick Find feature. I hate the Shift+something hotkey. In the settings I can only disable the feature, not just the hotkey.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 02:22 PM by Curt »

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2012, 11:41 PM »
Strange, for as long as I've used Firefox the default Quick Find key has always been '/' which you have the option to turn off under Options->Advanced->General so that, as Ath said, it starts searching when you type.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2012, 01:40 AM »
If Quick Find is capturing your keys/typing-ahead, then you can alter the Quick Find settings via the about:config page.
You need to know which settings to change in about:config though.
I googled "disable Quick Find in about:config" and found some good guidelines - e.g., here: How To Disable Firefox Quick Find

From experience, if you play around with the about:config settings you can pretty much tweak anything in Firefox. When you have made a change, the line of settings becomes emboldened.
If you want to undo the user changes, just double-click the emboldened settings.
I always take care in about:config because you can change/restore settings leading to unintended consequences if you alter the "wrong" ones by mistake.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 04:54 AM by IainB »