topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:39 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: LBC won't backup and won't exit  (Read 7058 times)

pyramid36

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
LBC won't backup and won't exit
« on: June 10, 2012, 07:55 PM »
When I try to backup LBC, I get an error message that the backup file was not saved.  After that point, I can't close the configuration window and have to abort the program.  I've tried opening an older toolbar, closing everyting else, and when I try to backup I still get the "file was not saved" message, only the file name has changed to a previously opened file. 

Ken

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: LBC won't backup and won't exit
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 08:47 AM »
Thanks for the report, I will fix -- new version of LBC will be out this week.

pyramid36

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 04:59 PM »
Any update on the update?   :)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 06:48 AM »
I apologize for the delay, I will try to get this out today or tomorrow.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2012, 12:43 PM »
Well... I guess I need a little more guidance about this since I'm having a hard time reproducing the problem.

Can you tell me what the actual error message you see is? and you are saying that it won't let you close the configuration dialog -- can you be more specific? Is the program unresponsive, or can you click the close button but nothing happens? Or do you mean that every time you try to close it, it wants to save the file and reports an error that it can't save it.

I suppose a secondary question is WHY its failing to save the file -- it sounds like maybe its trying to save someplace where you don't have permission, but that's really a separate issue.  I'd still like to understand what is going wrong with it not letting you close the dialog.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 12:51 PM by mouser »

rah1

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 08:50 AM »
I'm having the same problem. I'm running v1.132.02 on a Windows 7 64-bit Pro PC. The PC I'm trying to setup is at work and a member of an Active Directory Domain.

I am able to save an .mcf file but when I try to do the Tools - Maintenance - Backup I get "Error saving file (\\main-ms1\Users\Bhartung\LaunchBarCommander\LaunchBarCommander_bak_120834_0841.mcp). File *note* saved. If you click "OK" you are back at the main screen but you can't exit because the error keeps coming back up. The only way to exit is to kill the process.

I installed LBC on an XP Pro PC and it works fine. By default it saves the .MCP file to C:\Program Files\LaunchBarCommander\ directory. On the Win 7 PC, it's trying to save the .MCP file to My Documents (\\main-ms1\Users\Bhartung) location. That should be fine since I have full rights to that directory. If LBC is using something other than the logged on users credentials, that might be a reason for the problem.

Just curious, under XP it's saving to the Program Files directory, under Win 7 to My Documents. Isn't it more common under Win 7 to save to the C:\Users directory?

UPDATE: 09-14-2012

I came back to this problem and re-examined the error message. I was going to check the directory attributes where LBC wanted to save the .mcp file and discovered that the "LaunchBarCommander" directory was missing. I manually created the missing directory and tried loading and backing up LBC again - success.

I don't know if the installation program failed to create the directory because of a rights issue (gotta love Win7) or if there is a bug in the process. It definitely works under Win XP.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 12:19 PM by rah1 »

pyramid36

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2012, 07:05 PM »
Mouser,
Sorry that I didn't reply earlier to your June 30 post, but the problem is that when I try to close the application, I get a message that a backup hasn't been done. When I try to back it up, it acts like it has backed up but then I get the same error when I try to close it again.  I always have to resort to the Task Manager and abort LBC manually.  That's the only way I can get out of it.  I also cannot add links to it.  I finally had to uninstall it from that computer.  I tried reinstalling and the problem reappeared.  I run it on another PC and it works OK there except that if I create a link to a file, it will start the application, but (let's say Excel) but won't actually open the file.

Ken