topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:56 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IDEA: reduce corner area sensitivity to prevent taskbar showing  (Read 26806 times)

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
i better explain what i was trying to say in the 'subject' line:

i have the system tray at the top of my screen with autohide and always on top enabled. this is something i've only just started doing but i kind of like it.

there is something that is beginning to get tiresome and that is when closing a maximised window i tend to overshoot the 'X' icon and the system tray appears (my fault, as i've pushed the cursor too far into the corner).

what i would like is something that would 'kill' the 'sensitivity' in the top right corner of the screen. it would need to be an area with a width similar to the system clock and then about 2 to 5 pixels in height.

this would allow me to throw the cursor up to the top right of the screen without the system taskbar being activated but i could still activate it when moving the cursor to the top anywhere else.

i think there is already a util that will delay the 'hover' activation time for the taskbar to appear (anyone remember the name?) but i'd really prefer it if it worked in the method stated above.

thanks for your time...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2006, 02:44 PM by brotherS »

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
Re: IDEA: reduce corner area sensitivity to prevent taskbar showing
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2006, 08:19 PM »
 :) Try this one!

CloseFence -  Prevents the autohiding Taskbar from appearing when the mouse is over a Close button (X)

Features:
- Change size and thickness of the fence.

You'll find the downloads and more info at 1 Hour Software by Skrommel.

It places two windows in the upper right corner of your desktop, covering the autohidden taskbar if it is on top, or as I use it, on the right. It also moves the mouse back a few pixels if it comes too far, to make the close button work properly.

You can change the size and thickness of the windows. Now if only there was a way to protect the scroll bar, too, with the taskbar on the right...

Skrommel
« Last Edit: April 07, 2006, 12:26 PM by skrommel »

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 02:06 AM »
It places two windows in the upper right corner of your desktop, covering the autohidden taskbar if it is on top, or as I use it, on the right.

[...]

Now if only there was a way to protect the scroll bar, too, with the taskbar on the right...
Try to move the taskbar to the left side of the desktop - I love it!  :Thmbsup:

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2006, 02:15 AM »
skrommel to the rescue, again and again.

a thousands thanks for that - and i think a few DC credits are in order too.

fantastic job.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2006, 08:53 AM »
unfortunately, i've have to report back that 'closefence' doesn't appear to work 100% of the time.

sometimes it does prevent the taskbar from appearing but the pattern for when it does works seems to be this.

when a program first appears that is maximised 'closefence' doesn't do it's job until it has failed once, i.e. the taskbar still appears when moving the cursor to the top right of the screen. repeating the same cursor movement on the same window after the first 'fail' will then successfully allow 'closefence' to prevent the taskbar from appearing.

i wonder, is this just a quirk of my machine or a quirk of autohotkey?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2006, 08:55 AM »
i wonder, is this just a quirk of my machine or a quirk of autohotkey?
Actually, I'd say it's a windows' quirk, the windows taskbar's always on top can be quite tricky.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2006, 09:11 AM »
damn, i thought it might be too good to be true. is there any way of making a 100% working method. it sort of defeats the whole point of the thing if it doesn't work on the first attempt.

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2006, 09:26 AM »
i'm playing around with this but it's not really what i was after http://home.nordnet....TaskbarActivate.html

i have a new question: is it possible to stop the cursor from even reaching the top right area of the screen rather than have it jump back a few pixels after it's been recognised as being in that area?

'taskbaractivate' appears to suffer from similar problems to 'closefence' in that it won't do what it is meant to do 100% of the time.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 09:29 AM by nudone »

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 11:14 AM »
 :tellme: I can't reproduce your problems, nudone. Also I have been using TaskBarActivate for years. Could it be your PC?

Please try changing the thickness and removing the transparence and let me know how it works out.

Skrommel
« Last Edit: April 06, 2006, 11:17 AM by skrommel »

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2006, 11:51 AM »
i've increased the border size to 3 pixels and turned off the transparency. this now allows me to see when 'closefence' really is ontop or not.

the strange thing is that the system taskbar does appear to keep bringing itself back to be the absolute topmost item, even whilst it is hidden (you can see a thin 2 pixel strip running along the top of the screen). i can nolonger see any kind of pattern to why it would do so???

i can accept that my system is one of the weird ones.

skrommel

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2006, 06:24 AM »
 :) Updated CloseFence to v1.1. I've made it more active, and also changed the windows' borders.

Skrommel

nudone

• Cody's Creator
  • Columnist
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2006, 08:43 AM »
that's great, Skrommel. nice little utility now.

i'm still encountering the same problem on my machine in that the system tray will overide the 'ontop' value of 'closefence'.

i'm wondering if this is a 'dual core' processor type problem as that's what i have and i've noticed other strange things happening on this machine - mainly with games crashing that i can't get out of but i was able to 'ctrl+alt+del' out of when on a single core machine. i admit i've no idea what i'm talking about but it's just something i've noticed between different machines.

i shall keep using 'closefence' and if i eventually spot the cause of the problem i'll report back. thanks for all your effort so far.