topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:29 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Start Anywhere [Beta]  (Read 8504 times)

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
Start Anywhere [Beta]
« on: April 13, 2012, 12:03 PM »
This is a quick app that allows you to press your middle mouse button and have the start menu show at your cursor location. You can also add exceptions. This allows you to specify a window to not have the start menu show. Doesn't work with multi monitors yet and if you use WindowBlinds, sometimes the skin goes away from the buttons when you mouse over (don't think I can fix that). This has been tested on Windows 7 x64. Take a look and give some feedback if you can. Thanks! Here is the direct download as I have not added it to my page yet. http://bit.ly/HG4cPi
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 07:05 AM by c.gingerich »

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Start Anywhere [Beta]
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Would you mind posting some screenshots on the forum with any more software you create.  Also, if possible, embed the download here on DonationCoder - If you need to know how, then let us know and I am sure somebody will let you know how.

I am a little skeptical about downloading something from a direct link without knowing really what I am getting, and at least when it is embedded here on DC, we can get an idea of how many people have downloaded it.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 06:47 PM »
Sure I can do that. I do need a lesson on how to embed a link if someone can tell me. Thanks

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Sure I can do that. I do need a lesson on how to embed a link if someone can tell me. Thanks

On the post window, you will see at the bottom, an area for uploading attachments.

To attach a thumbnail image you can do [attach=(Attachment number)] (EG: [attachthumb=1])

The number after = directly relates to the attachment number, so if you have the screenshot in the top box, and the download in the second upload area, the screenshot would be [attachthumb=1] and the attachment would be [attach=2]

The "thumb" part is for thumbnails, so if you don't want a thumbnail, you simply remove 'thumb' from 'attachthumb'

I am not sure how clear I am being, so let me know if I have made no sense, or you need more help :)

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 07:57 PM »
Doesn't seem to work for me on a MS mouse middle click. (nothing)

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 08:53 AM »
Ok, got it. I thought it might be that, but I wasn't sure if i was able to just use a URL because of changes. It's a little easier to update and throw in dropbox then to have to upload another version, but not a problem. I attached it to the first post.

@TaoPhoenix What version of Windows do you use? I only tested it on Windows 7 x64 so far.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 11:41 AM »
Hi there. I'm on Win XP.

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 12:02 PM »
Seems to work here in a Windows XP VM.  TaoPhoenix, is your middle mouse button set to send the default middle button message?  As in, you don't have your middle mouse button set to something custom in your mouse software, do you?

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 12:57 PM »
Seems to work here in a Windows XP VM.  TaoPhoenix, is your middle mouse button set to send the default middle button message?  As in, you don't have your middle mouse button set to something custom in your mouse software, do you?

Well, it was set to "Middle-Click". When I clicked "restore defaults" its actual default is some kind of Instant Viewer.

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 03:20 AM »
on windows 7 32bits error run time 14 ligne 44

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2012, 07:05 AM »
Thanks! Fixed and Updated. See first post for download.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2012, 07:11 AM »

::Sigh::

I'm starting to be the walking edge case. This doesn't do anything on my 64 bit Windows 7 machine at work either with a dell mouse.

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2012, 09:37 AM »
That is odd. Does it run at all? Do you see it in the system tray and can you open the settings dialog? When you run it, try clicking on the Start menu button once first, then try your middle mouse button. I have noticed sometimes mine doesn't work right away unless i do that.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 10:20 AM »
Heh - now it pops up a sort of "Tasks" menu first down by the task bar, then it moves to where the mouse cursor is.

But I just remembered, at work, I have Classic Shell installed, would that interfere with your program?

Cheers from the Resident Pest,

--Tao

c.gingerich

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • The Blind House
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2012, 10:25 AM »
Yes, it shows first then moves to the mouse cursor. Only way I could get it to work.

Not sure if Classic Shell would interfere with it, I have never used it before. I don't think so though.