topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 2:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: PerfectDisk Free Edition  (Read 17059 times)

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
PerfectDisk Free Edition
« on: March 31, 2012, 02:59 PM »
For a limited time (how limited, I do not know), Raxco is offering a feature-reduced version of its defragger PerfectDisk at no cost. While the program requires an email address to run Major Geeks reports they were able to enter a fake email address with no complaints from the program. Check out the program details here:

http://blog.raxco.co...efrag-beta/#more-710

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: PerfectDisk Free Edition
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 06:56 PM »
Anyone get this download to work? I just get an installer error (there is a missing file after the setup file extracts).

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 09:58 PM »
I can't install it because I already have PerfectDisk Pro installed, but....here's a direct link to the x64 installer without having to go through the stupid CNet download manager:

http://ftp.raxco.com...PDFree/x64/setup.exe

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 01:49 AM »
Hi,

My XP SP3 Dell Precision got :

"This installation package is not supported by this processor type" 

It looks like the FTP is the 64 bit installer.

Steven

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 08:56 AM »
There is an x86 installer too. The CNET installer detects your system type and puts the setup file in your downloads folder (ironically on XP it makes a C:/Users/Name/Downloads folder)

Actually I was installing it in a VMWare XP (not SPs or updates) and I think that is why I had problems. Installing On XP SP3 was fine.

The direct link for win32 systems is:

http://ftp.raxco.com...Free/win32/setup.exe

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 09:26 AM »
-Steven Avery (April 01, 2012, 01:49 AM)

Yes, Stephen. The link I posted is to the 64-bit installer which is why I typed "here's a direct link to the x64 installer" and the FTP URL even has x64 in the path name.

I couldn't reverse-engineer the path for the x86 executable & I have no x86-based Windows installs to run the CNet installer to let it tell me what the path is.

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 10:49 AM »
-Steven Avery (April 01, 2012, 01:49 AM)

Yes, Stephen. The link I posted is to the 64-bit installer which is why I typed "here's a direct link to the x64 installer" and the FTP URL even has x64 in the path name.

I couldn't reverse-engineer the path for the x86 executable & I have no x86-based Windows installs to run the CNet installer to let it tell me what the path is.

I just posted the 32-bit direct link  :Thmbsup: Here is is again!

http://ftp.raxco.com...Free/win32/setup.exe

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 05:18 PM »
That's nice.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 08:54 PM »
Thanks for posting re this @Innuendo.
Just thought I'd post some feedback:
  • I downloaded and installed PDFE (64bit version) and it seems to work fine.    :Thmbsup:
  • I noticed that it apparently hooks into and uses the Win7 defragger, taking over its scheduled operation.
  • The reports it gives are quite informative and with some useful charts, and I like that the reports can be saved/printed.
  • I was nervously wondering whether shuffling around my disk data during the defrag process might cause my Hard Disk Sentinel to detect some more bad sectors - back in Oct. 2011 it detected 21 bad sectors on the disk surface - but there hasn't been a murmur from HDS so far, praise be to Magneto!

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 07:58 AM »
You an also right click on the drive and do a Boot time scan which optimises Windows files during the next restart. Makes a big difference.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 04:56 PM »
You an also right click on the drive and do a Boot time scan which optimises Windows files during the next restart. Makes a big difference.
-Carol Haynes (April 03, 2012, 07:58 AM)
Ah, thanks. I didn't know that feature existed! Shoulda' RTM?
Tried it anyway and will see if I can notice an improved loading speed. Theoretically, it should make things more efficient or have a speed-up effect - same as all housekeeping really (e.g., including cleaning the garbage out of the Registry, defragging the disk, or running cleanmgr).

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 03:29 PM »
Thanks for posting re this @Innuendo.

Glad you are enjoying the freebie. I hope it encourages you to try out the trial version of the retail product. PerfectDisk is my favorite defragger by far and I've tried them all (and try out every new version their competitors release).

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 03:42 PM »
PerfectDisk is my favorite defragger by far and I've tried them all (and try out every new version their competitors release).

Including Puran Defragmenter, which I've seen good comments on?

Tinman57

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2012, 08:51 PM »
  I use Piriform Defraggler, it's completely free and works great.  They are also the ones that made CCleaner and Recuva.  http://www.piriform.com/defraggler/download

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 08:24 AM »
Defraggler is fine but it doesn't seem to do much more than Windows Defragger.

PerfectDisk is my preferred defragger because it not only defrags but reorganises your drive to reduce future fragmentation and also has the Boot Time option to optimize windows system files which can never be defragged while windows is running. The Boot time defrag makes a significant difference in older windows installations as years of updates leave system file fragmentation in a really bad state.

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 12:24 PM »
Hi,

Perfect Disk does give you a view of the Pagefile, MetaData and MFT in analysis mode.  Thus you can determine if there is any real consequence to the boot time defrag. Both tools are excellent, but I do see myself taking advantage of this freebie and moving towards Perfect Disk.

All the defrags use the internal MS routine for the actual defrag so you don't have much concern that either one is structurally much different (except maybe unless you are doing virtualization, shadow boxing and all that stuff).

Steven
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 12:31 PM by Steven Avery »

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 01:39 PM »
All the defrags use the internal MS routine for the actual defrag so you don't have much concern that either one is structurally much different
-Steven Avery (April 05, 2012, 12:24 PM)

PrefectDisk uses the MS routines to actually move file fragments but they go beyond that with file location optimisation. It also moves critical bits and pieces to faster areas of the partition (eg. folder information and boot files, as well as placing the pagefile in the middle of the partition which reduces seek distances for page writes.

The paid for versions (particularly the Pro version) goes way beyond the free version giving you a degree of control over the file layout and order on the disk.

Jibz

• Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 02:18 PM »
I had a license for PD back at version 8, and it was fairly nice albeit a little slow.

One thing I liked was that it was able to defrag a drive that was nearly full unlike most tools.

One thing I did not like was that it kept processes running all the time on my machine .. I wonder if this is true for the free version too?

wreckedcarzz

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 03:20 PM »
I have to +1 Defraggler as well, having it run daily (overnight) after an automatic CCleaner run works well.

Just to give it a go, I installed PerfectDisk and had it analyse my drive:

peakperformance.pngPerfectDisk Free Edition

That said, though, what does PD do differently than Defraggler/<other defragmentation tool here>? Defraggler does boot-time defrags as well, if you tell it to, of normally-locked Windows files, and it optimizes the drive's free space, and can even do built-in error checking (sometimes the filesystem "loses" freespace somehow during an intensive defrag, and this "reclaims" that space :huh:). It also does SMART monitoring, and tells you in simple terms if your drive is healthy or not. And obviously, it can do just one directory/file/whatever, or just a selection of them. Oh, and a basic scheduling system that uses Task Scheduler. I'm just looking for a comparison I suppose.