topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:38 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: wordpress is unacceptable  (Read 6055 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
wordpress is unacceptable
« on: March 24, 2012, 06:18 PM »
hello

I try to use wordpress and it's the most inconvenient thing I could ever imagine.

I want to upload a doc file and it breaks all the formating and images. I try to upload an html file with folder with its images and it is not possible.

I try to change the text fonts and all I can do is to insert tags (imagine doing so for a hundred of words!!!)

what kind of fast and convenient content management is this?

really, is there a cms without any hassle?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: wordpress is unacceptable
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 06:23 PM »
really, is there a cms without any hassle?
no.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 06:40 PM »
+1 w/Mouser.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 06:46 PM »
I hope you understood that by "hassle" I mean what I described above...

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 06:51 PM »
I try to change the text fonts and all I can do is to insert tags (imagine doing so for a hundred of words!!!)

To be fair you should control fonts and sizes via style sheets rather than manually in the articles and pages. Try editing the template style sheet to get the fonts you want and then past your documents in as plain text.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 07:00 PM »
done this

one fact is that there are much more advanced online visual editors out there and why couldnt wordpress just use one?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 07:01 PM »
I want to upload a doc file and it breaks all the formating and images. I try to upload an html file with folder with its images and it is not possible.

Every CMS or web publishing platform will need at least some work if you are working with existing content (html, doc, etc.)

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 07:58 PM »
done this

one fact is that there are much more advanced online visual editors out there and why couldnt wordpress just use one?

You could always install an alternative editor. Just do a search.

You can also use Microsoft Word to publish blog entries: http://wpsites.net/b...business-blog-posts/

If you want to enter HTML there is a built in HTML editor - just copy and paste the HTML code and make sure the image folder etc. is uploaded to  the correct path.

I have to ask if you want to upload documents to the web or preformatted HTML pages why use WordPress why not just build a static website based on pages generated the way you want?

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2012, 10:42 PM »
Instead of using Word to form your blog posts, you could use an actual blog editor application like Windows Live Writer. Here is a guide for setting it up for Wordpress: http://www.howtogeek...your-wordpress-blog/

It has excellent image handling (better than Word) and will allow the font changes you desire (although Carol is right about changing fonts through the style sheet)

It is by far the best post editor I have ever used.

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2012, 11:02 PM »
I try to use wordpress and it's the most inconvenient thing I could ever imagine.

Try drupal and joomla and let me know what you think.  :D

Carol Haynes

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 05:51 AM »
Joomla is very flexible for editing if set up right. Install JCE instead of the standard editor and make sure you make yourself an editing profile that gives you the ability to enter almost anything: plain text, javascript, html. css, php scripting ....

The system is extensible to with a massive number of plugins. If you want the greatest choice Joomla 1.5 probably still has the best selection though 2.5 support is growing fast and migration is not totally trivial so it is a good idea to check out what you need to use first and if possible go for 2.5.

The one think JCE can't do is import full Word documents with pictures and everything though you can select everything in the word document and Paste as Word - which strips out all the pointless crap in Word documents but tries to retain headings and paragraph layout.

If you want to add whole HTML pages you will probably need to add style sheets and scripts to the template file and strip out just the bit between the body tags to insert.