topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:43 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Chrome Extensions: Your favorite or most useful  (Read 80817 times)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Chrome Extensions: Your favorite or most useful
« Reply #50 on: March 23, 2017, 02:16 PM »
@panzer:
...I installed both on Slimjet. It looks like Johnny is a little bit faster detecting/disabling ads, and on some pages it finds more ads to block than ublock. If you click on Johnny's icon, then let say you click twice (to disable and enable) on stopping all ads, it starts talking (if you have sound on) :) .

I have no idea about memory footprint. Johnny is brand new, so there is no comparison against the others yet ...

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
I use dummy anonymous forwarding email addresses (e.g. like Blur) to register on those sites that insist that you register before you can access whatever you find of interest there. I use the dummy email address where I do not wish to risk opening my personal mailbox ID to potential spam from such sites (they pretty much all do it, which is why they want your email address in the first place - it's a numbers game for them).

One of the organisations I subscribe to is FEE.org, which describes itself as:
Foundation for Economic Education
fee.org
The Foundation for Economic Education "is a non-political, non-profit, tax-exempt educational foundation" dedicated to the "economic, ethical and legal principles of a free society." FEE publishes books and hosts seminars and lectures.More at Wikipedia
Founder: Leonard E. Read
Type: Educational foundation, IRS 501(c)(3) tax exempt
Tax ID no.: 136006960
So, today I got an email in my inbox addressed to one of my dummy email addresses, from FEE, and it had an item that looked like it could be an interesting article, and I carelessly clicked on the link without thinking. Normally I would have copied the URL from the link and truncated all the tracking stuff off first, and then gone to look at that article.
What happened then surprised and pleased me though - BAJ popped up this huge red warning screen - text copied below, but minus the actual link ID, just something similar:
STOP.    HOLD UP!
The site ahead contains Privacy.

Attackers currently on
http://fee.us13.list-manage.com/track/click?u=af44b8bfb54164e733a00a887&id=f0627f35bc&e=23fdfe0dcf
might attempt to install dangerous programs on your computer that steal or delete your information (for example, photos, passwords, messages, and credit cards).

Action taken because of the following filter
||list-manage.com/track/

Found in:
EasyPrivacy

How would you like to proceed?

I followed the URL (minus the click-tracking) and was re-routed to this "About" at Mailchimp.com
______
   / ___M ]__
C{ ( o o )}
    {     ••
      \___
      ––––´

You probably found this page because one of our subscribers used MailChimp to send you an email campaign, and you traced a link in the email back here to investigate. MailChimp is an email-marketing service that serves more than 15 million companies of all shapes and sizes, from all over the world. We send more than 1 billion emails every day, and we help our customers comply with spam laws and best practices so they can get their campaigns into their subscribers' inboxes.

__
|\/| _ .|/  |_ . _  _
|  |(_|||\__| )|||||_)
                   |
  Love What You Do

I was surprised because, though I had read the blurb about BAJ before installing the chrome add-on, it had not sunk in that that BAJ would be able to monitor dodgy clicks like this from my emails. I was pleased that it did this, as it is very easy to be careless when clicking links, and sometimes that's all it takes to get a malware attack. I am therefore going to install this chrome add-on on all PCs I manage or help others with, as a matter of course.

By the way, before anyone jumps down my throat for subscribing to FEE, I do realise that, despite its self-declared "non-political" (ha-ha) status, FEE.org seems to have a decided political bias (seems to be anti-Trump or something from what I have seen so far) and, given its supposed emphasis on economics, it talks about political issues far too much and thereby contradicts itself - which is not a good look. Furthermore, given its stated emphasis on "educating" the young, I would see FEE.org as potentially having been cynically set up as a propaganda machine targeted at susceptible young minds for a particular brand of religio-political ideology ("catch 'em young", as the RC church used to put it). I don't know/care much who funds it, but "follow the money" might be interesting if I had the inclination (which I don't).

I subscribed to the website not because I particularly liked its religio-political bias (I couldn't care less, actually), but simply because I saw that some of its economic arguments looked interesting and I wanted to follow them up, because some of their lectures might be of use for my daughter (who is studying economics), and who is in their target audience age demographic. It's a bit like the parson's egg - "good in parts". She would be able to read/watch it and learn despite any political bias, as she starts from the premise that all teachers are to be regarded as potential idiots until they show themselves otherwise, and is learning to quietly spot an invalid/biased argument or propaganda item a mile off. So this would be good practice for her and she would be able to establish for herself whether the website might be able to contribute to her economics syllabus, regardless of any bias/noise in the signal. Let's face it, bias abounds in most human communication and affairs. (Interesting side reference here - BIAS.)

So BAJ looks like it will protect one from being quite so easily susceptible to evil click-tracking...    :Thmbsup:
...but you're on your own when it comes to protection from bias.    :D
(I actually consider that we should welcome bias in a communication anyway, because it tells one an awful lot about the level of objective content of the message and the rationale used in communicating it.)

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2017, 12:10 AM »
"... I subscribed to the website not because I particularly liked its religio-political bias (I couldn't care less, actually), but simply because I saw that some of its economic arguments looked interesting and I wanted to follow them up, because some of their lectures might be of use for my daughter (who is studying economics)... "

You should rather look up sites like mises. org (a lot of free books available), lewrockwell. com,  zerohedge. com and others sites, linked to Austrian economics.

She is probably taught of Keynesian economics and that is so messed up that I don't even know where to start...

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2017, 12:13 AM »
Btw, I am glad that BAJ helped you...  :Thmbsup:

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2017, 01:48 AM »
...You should rather look up sites like mises. org (a lot of free books available), lewrockwell. com,  zerohedge. com and others sites, linked to Austrian economics.
She is probably taught of Keynesian economics and that is so messed up that I don't even know where to start...
She's only on micro-economics at the moment. I suspect you are right in that, for macro-economics they will probably get on to the Keynesian "school" of economics - which I was originally taught and which seems to have some irrational hypotheses. So, I already have her lined up for Mises, etc - thanks.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2017, 03:50 AM »
BehindTheOverlay - One click to close any overlay on any website:
https://chrome.googl...kdjjmbbaggebcednbbme

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2017, 03:56 AM »
"... I use dummy anonymous forwarding email addresses (e.g. like Blur)..."

Thanx for mentioning Blur. Never heard of it before. It will be nice addition to my freeware archive.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2017, 05:20 AM »
@panzer:
BehindTheOverlay - One click to close any overlay on any website:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/behindtheoverlay/ljipkdpcjbmhkdjjmbbaggebcednbbme

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #59 on: March 30, 2017, 08:52 PM »
I'm using Chrome. I see that Chrome have more  Extensions: Pinboard tools, Facebook notification, Google +1 button, Wisestamp, XMarks, ChromeToPaper, etc
-daitrongpham (March 30, 2017, 08:24 PM)

Having moved away from my favourite Firefox (which Mozilla seem to be killing off), I am using Slimjet, which is based on chrome.
I used to use Chrome Canary 64-bit (beta), but found it too invasive. I hope Slimjet is better...

There are indeed lots of Chrome extensions, but they are not all the same as the Firefox extensions, so I have not yet been able to entirely replace Firefox with Slimjet. That's why I was pleased to find the "behindtheoverlay" add-on in the Chrome Store.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2017, 04:15 AM »
"...  Having moved away from my favourite Firefox (which Mozilla seem to be killing off), I am using Slimjet, which is based on chrome.
I used to use Chrome Canary 64-bit (beta), but found it too invasive. I hope Slimjet is better..."

Have you tried browsers that claim they are enhanced version of Chrome or have security improved like Cent, Iridium, Inox, Advanced Chrome or ungoogled-chromium?

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #61 on: April 02, 2017, 06:42 PM »
"...  Having moved away from my favourite Firefox (which Mozilla seem to be killing off), I am using Slimjet, which is based on chrome.
I used to use Chrome Canary 64-bit (beta), but found it too invasive. I hope Slimjet is better..."

Have you tried browsers that claim they are enhanced version of Chrome or have security improved like Cent, Iridium, Inox, Advanced Chrome or ungoogled-chromium?
No, I've not tried any of those (yet), so thanks for the tips - though I used to use "plain" Chromium (overnight updates).

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #62 on: April 02, 2017, 06:46 PM »
I have found another replacement for a favourite Firefox add-on "Self-Destructing Cookies".
It's called: Cookie AutoDelete
Control Your Cookies! Auto Delete Unused Cookies From your Closed Tabs While Keeping The Ones You Want.
Control your cookies! This extension is inspired by Self Destructing Cookies. When a tab closes, any cookies not being used are automatically deleted. Prevent tracking by other cookies and add only the ones you trust. Easily import and export your Cookie Whitelist.

Main Features
- Auto Deletes Cookies from Closed Tabs
- WhiteList Support for Sites you want to keep Cookies
- Easily Export/Import your Whitelist
- Clear All Cookies for a Domain

Usage
1. Add the sites you want to keep cookies in the whitelist
2. Enable "Active Mode" in the popup or settings
3. Watch those unused cookies disappear :)

Some things to Note:
- This Extension can't clear LocalStorage yet
See:
https://bugs.chromiu...sues/detail?id=78093
- Even though third party cookies are cleared with this extension, it is better to disable third party cookies from the settings

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2017, 10:26 AM »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Wayback Machine:
https://chrome.googl...adcjpehmlllkndpkmiak

Yes, and there are also:
WayBack Chrome - which I have been using for several months now, and which seems to work faultlessly.
Save To The Wayback Machine - which I have not needed to use much, so have no feel for its effectiveness, as yet.
Web Cache - ditto.

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2017, 05:39 AM »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2017, 10:33 AM »
@panzer:
Random User-Agent

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Last Edit: April 05, 2017, 02:23 PM by panzer »

panzer

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2017, 04:17 PM »
@panzer:
...I installed both on Slimjet. It looks like Johnny is a little bit faster detecting/disabling ads, and on some pages it finds more ads to block than ublock. If you click on Johnny's icon, then let say you click twice (to disable and enable) on stopping all ads, it starts talking (if you have sound on) :) .

I have no idea about memory footprint. Johnny is brand new, so there is no comparison against the others yet ...

Go to BAJ --> Settings and uncheck Allow Bad Ad Johnny voice prompts.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #71 on: April 06, 2017, 01:24 AM »
...Go to BAJ --> Settings and uncheck Allow Bad Ad Johnny voice prompts.

Audio can be very useful: For example, I also have xplorer² use audio when it reports an error alert, as the alert itself is transient and appears as text in the Status Bar at the bottom of the xplorer² window and the visual cue is thus quite easy to miss if one is in a hurry. So the audio is a rather nifty ergonomically useful option.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2017, 01:27 AM »
Cross-posted as relevant.
Just discovered this today. I was adding the Chrome Simple Gmail Notes extension to Slimjet and noticed that they had a Firefox version too.

I didn't know it existed until today. Looks potentially very handy.

Mikekolly

• Participant
  • Joined in 2017
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2017, 01:08 PM »
I think the below extensions may be also good:

Adblock
FlashBlock
FlashGot
Tab Preview
Translate
NoScript
Web Developer
PDF Download
ListZilla 0.7
NoScript
Screen grab!

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2017, 01:48 PM »
The Great Suspender

Allows you to keep tabs open, but manage the memory that they use by suspending them.