topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: how to build a website in my pc and then upload it to a hosting?  (Read 4927 times)

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
hello!

I want to build a website to my pc locally, using the major cms like wordpress, etc and then upload it

so, I dont want to use the online control panel

how can I do this?

is there a desktop version of those cms tools?

thanks!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: how to build a website in my pc and then upload it to a hosting?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 07:53 AM »
You can set up a test development environment on your PC using any number of freely available  tools. You'll need an "_AMP stack" (i.e some form of webserver, a database engine, and the ability to process pHp scripts for most cms systems) The easiest for most people would be to use something like AMPPS since it gives you all that - and also makes setting up virtually any web app you're likely to use a fairly simple process. They have something like 250+ web apps scripted for easy installation under AMPPS.

Easy to get. Free to use:

Get everything you need to start running web applications with AMPPS using the Softaculous Auto Installer. The simple and streamlined installer will get your development ready to go. You will be provided the latest version of AMPPS including database and scripting languages. The auto-installer includes the latest version of all the scripts.
The best thing is, it's free! GET AMPPS NOW.    

Create your website:

To get started creating websites, just download and install AMPPS with Softaculous auto-installer. You'll be up and running less than 5 minutes! Once AMPPS is installed, install the latest version of your favorite free web applications such as Joomla!, WordPress, Magento, Dolphin using Softaculous.

To upload to your host, you'd need to transfer the directory you created for your CMS up to the host server and configure appropriate file permissions so it's secure. And also install the CMS software you've decided on.

Many hosts have 1-click installers for the more popular web apps. For file transfers, most professionals prefer to use SFTP to do that. But not every host provides it. And usually not for accounts that don't have dedicated or virtual servers even when they do.  Those that don't will make you use their upload tools which are usually on the control panel. So best check with your potential host to see what they offer.

Good luck with your project! :Thmbsup:
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:03 AM by 40hz »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:18 AM »
To my knowledge there are no desktop versions of CMS packages. Not really need to either.

Assuming you run Windows, goto www.apachefriends.de and download their XAMPP tool. Unpack it anywhere on your system, run the setup.bat and you have a working PHP, MySQL, Apache combo (if you already have one or more of these tools installed on your system, you should consider de-installing them if that is possible as these can occupy ports).

Download the latest (stable) version of your preferred CMS and extract it in the 'htdocs' folder inside XAMPP. Open your browser and use the URL: http://localhost/<name of your favorite CMS> and follow the instructions on the screen to install the CMS.

When that is done, you have a web development environment that will run one or more CMS'es without any problem. You can copy/move all adjustments you made to a host without too much trouble. Your host will require some changes though, as you will have to comply with their security rules. If you already know these rules beforehand you can adjust the XAMPP tool to include these. That way the copying of the website you created on your local PC to the host will be a lot less work.

The above is not complicated but I would advise to get into the habit of using a version control system like Git, Mercurial, SVN etc. for your website(s) as well. At first that is more work, but it will save your behind on more than one occasion. Besides that, it will make you look a lot more professional, so any fee you may collect will increase as well.

Do get familiar the online control panel, it sometimes can help you getting a task done quickly (depending on the type and version of the control panel).  

fonsecasharon

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 02:02 AM »
You can set up a test development environment on your PC using any number of freely available  tools. You'll need an "_AMP stack" (i.e some form of webserver, a database engine, and the ability to process pHp scripts for most cms systems) The easiest for most people would be to use something like AMPPS since it gives you all that - and also makes setting up virtually any web app you're likely to use a fairly simple process. They have something like 250+ web apps scripted for easy installation under AMPPS.

Easy to get. Free to use:

Get everything you need to start running web applications with AMPPS using the Softaculous Auto Installer. The simple and streamlined installer will get your development ready to go. You will be provided the latest version of AMPPS including database and scripting languages. The auto-installer includes the latest version of all the scripts.
The best thing is, it's free! GET AMPPS NOW.    

Create your website:

To get started creating websites, just download and install AMPPS with Softaculous auto-installer. You'll be up and running less than 5 minutes! Once AMPPS is installed, install the latest version of your favorite free web applications such as Joomla!, WordPress, Magento, Dolphin using Softaculous.

To upload to your host, you'd need to transfer the directory you created for your CMS up to the host server and configure appropriate file permissions so it's secure. And also install the CMS software you've decided on.

Many hosts have 1-click installers for the more popular web apps. For file transfers, most professionals prefer to use SFTP to do that. But not every host provides it. And usually not for accounts that don't have dedicated or virtual servers even when they do.  Those that don't will make you use their upload tools which are usually on the control panel. So best check with your potential host to see what they offer.

Good luck with your project! :Thmbsup:

i agree :)