topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 5:51 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Genie Timeline Professional 2 for 10USD  (Read 16509 times)

ha14

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Genie Timeline Professional 2 for 10USD
« on: February 26, 2012, 02:42 AM »
Hi

Head over to the order page to place your order for Genie Timeline Professional 2 (10USD). Remember to use the coupon: GTLPRO10 to have your price reduced to $10.

Starting:  Sunday Feb 26th 12:00AM PST
Ending:  Tuseday Feb 28th 11:00PM PST

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Genie Timeline Professional 2 for 10USD
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 04:45 AM »
Just looked at this in the UK. $10 is apparently equivalent to £13.17 !!! (It's actually equivalent to £6.30)

An no it isn't tax because they haven't added VAT yet!

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:11 AM »
Yes, after tax when using USD & Paypal, it says $11.90 with $1.90 as VAT.
.merle1.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 10:02 AM »
17.43 EUR

haha.

but of course USD is $10
as it should be
if any one really wants this program.
Didn't we all agree to love to hate this program?

Anyway, it has been at version 2.1 for a year and a half by now.
 :down:

MerleOne

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • 4D thinking
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 10:26 AM »
Version 1 was not interesting but I found V2 to be OK, in a very short trial I made.
.merle1.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 11:52 AM »
I tested it back then when it was new, and didn't like it. Also, our Barney and Darwin almost hated it. The Home version of 2.1 was on giveawayoftheday July 21, 2010, and they are still promoting version 2.1 ! I expect it has been abandoned - and "$10" may give the same impression.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 01:07 PM »
I have that tool on some of my laptops, to replace "no hands backup" which I used to use. It quite happily will backup when I am on the network with my NAS, but won't cause trouble when I am not. Quite simple and seamless, so no big deal if it isnt developed onwards (seems a recurrent issue with backup programs)

Genie9 now have a cloud version of timeline, iirc. Most likely a white branded reseller thing, like all the virus scanner vendors also have nowadays

Edit : they claim not https://www.zoolz.com/, their software and Amazon S3

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 01:20 PM »
I tested it back then when it was new, and didn't like it. Also, our Barney and Darwin almost hated it. The Home version of 2.1 was on giveawayoftheday July 21, 2010, and they are still promoting version 2.1 ! I expect it has been abandoned - and "$10" may give the same impression.

I just finished reading Darwin's thread. There wasn't a lot of love for Genie Timeline Pro....but by the end of the thread there wasn't much love for Oops!Backup which he tried to use as a replacement, either.

And according to the the Genie Timeline Pro release notes the last version released was February 2, 2011 - Genie Timeline 2.1.11.343.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 02:09 PM »
And according to the the Genie Timeline Pro release notes the last version released was February 2, 2011 - Genie Timeline 2.1.11.343.

I have 2.1.13.345 on my machines - so not much has changed.

I find it a nice continuuous backup and inobtrusive, although when I had it using a isb drive it would complain after about 10 days of not connecting and that got annoying. Now that it uses the NAS I hardly ever notice it.

I didn't like the out of the box profiles - for me they backed up too much. And one annoyance is there was no easy automated way from the main interface to remove files that were backed up but one didnt want anymore. That'd be my top item on the wishlist. But it does nicely backup files with version and has a reasonably convenient way to go back and look at snapshots.

Note: I use this on my additional and family/friend PCs - a good way to pick up new folders with document/settings and not be surprised - my core machines have Paragon on top for full images and recovery.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 02:20 PM by iphigenie »

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 04:13 PM »
SORRY for my wrong accusations!

I am actually pleased to hear  I was wrong  and Genie still is developed
- otherwise their new cloud service wouldn't give any meaning ;-)

And of course Paragon must have well working installations as well. I original purchased my various Paragon license keys because the company was spoken well of.

What is "NAS" ?  :tellme: 
I mean "Network-attached storage (NAS) is file-level computer data storage connected to a computer network providing data access to heterogeneous clients" tells me very little. They might as well say it in Russian or Chinese (which I don't speak).

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 04:56 PM »
What is "NAS" ?

A NAS is basically a file server appliance.  You're supposed to be able to just buy the thing, plug it into the wall and your network (and maybe some harddrives), and use it as a file server. Hopefully with relatively little configuration or expertise.

Some routers can also serve as  NAS device.

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2012, 05:33 PM »
NAS in my case is just one of these network shared drives without a computer - well, there's just enough embedded linux that it is a low power file sharing computer in a drive box. Usually supports normal windows sharing, ftp, webdav etc and often nowadays they have options for extra services.

I like them because you can store your drive away from your computers, which makes it a little more burglar safe. Performance is OK but I have gigabit ethernet wiring and yet it's still kind of sluggish on the "reload folder information" bit when copying/moving from windows.

Currently I have a Zyxel one that has a bit of extra logic and can run a web server or other goodies (also has a media server but that never functioned properly for the amount of music i have)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2012, 10:26 PM »
Hi,

From appearances Genie Backup Professional looks more like their regular backup software (similar to Backup4All) while this Timeline looks like it is more designed to "help" you by working with where it thinks your important files may be.  If that is so, then Timeline is not of interest here, since I like to put stuff in its own place and then decide how to backup.  Do I have the distinction right ?

Steven

iphigenie

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 03:04 AM »
Hi,

From appearances Genie Backup Professional looks more like their regular backup software (similar to Backup4All) while this Timeline looks like it is more designed to "help" you by working with where it thinks your important files may be.  If that is so, then Timeline is not of interest here, since I like to put stuff in its own place and then decide how to backup.  Do I have the distinction right ?

Steven

Timeline is meant as continuous backup - will run in the background and backup what you told it to backup constantly as it changes, when your backup device is accessible. Incrementally, keeping versions.

Compared to a normal backup solutions it has the following differences:
- does not run on a schedule but constantly. Its checks can run on an interval (every 5 minutes) or on detection of changes. It does have a game mode and a power/battery saving mode, which is better than quite a few always-on backup options
- there's only 1 backup set and 1 backup target, rather than the option of multiple backup profiles (at least in home version). This is quite limiting if you come from a tool where you had created many profiles with different frequencies and logic.
- it has a local browse client that allows to browse backed up versions from windows explorer, as well as browse by timeline and search (by name) files in the timeline vault
- it could be quite greedy of disk space, at least the home version

You control what it backs up, within certain bounds
* It does have preselect options for backup, for things like your windows system (that does back up a lot), email, images etc. that are preconfigured sets with locations and file filters. It calls this "smart selection". I havent investigated this much but this looks like a reasonable set of choices: disaster recovery, email, desktop, documents, office files, financial files, local iphone files, local blackberry files, pictures, music, videos, bookmarks, ebooks, compressed files and iso images. This is a "quick start" option
* You can skip these and go to "my computer" and select folders and files. If you select a whole folder, new files and subfolders in it will automatically be added. There is only 1 global file filter available to exclude files by extension/name for the whole set of manually selected files and folders
* the backed up files are in a folder on the target drive that has a slightly opaque name, but once in it you have a tree of files that mirrors your own + a separate set of versions. So normal files could be retrieved without installing the software again.

It is not necessarily the right backup if you are a pro and have lots of varied backup/sync needs. It is a neat backup for installing on machines where you don't want (and don't need) to think too much, for other people in your household/family/client circle who will not backup and not think of backup unless it it terribly easy, of the "plug this particular USB drive in at least twice a week and the rest is automatic" variety

It seems it can email regular reports too (I liked that in the early Genie Backup tool) but I havent enabled this.

If you have the disk space, it looks like it can keep a history of snapshots for rolling back in a way that might be easier to grasp for normal users than some of the rollback/images tools. I havent tested that bit much, maybe I should since I have gotten lazy on the backup image making. But now I just use it for files and folders and outlook for all the files and documents that don't need sync.

I haven't tested it as much as I should, though.

(pic is of the restore interface)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:12 AM by iphigenie »

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 09:06 AM »
SORRY for my wrong accusations!

I wouldn't apologize if I were you, Curt. The release notes say Genie Timeline Pro's last release was over a year ago. I think you were more than fair with your accusation.

I am actually pleased to hear  I was wrong  and Genie still is developed
- otherwise their new cloud service wouldn't give any meaning ;-)

Looks like their cloud service just backs up the pictures and stuff people post on Facebook. That doesn't interest me at all...

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2012, 09:15 AM »
I like them because you can store your drive away from your computers, which makes it a little more burglar safe. Performance is OK but I have gigabit ethernet wiring and yet it's still kind of sluggish on the "reload folder information" bit when copying/moving from windows.

Currently I have a Zyxel one that has a bit of extra logic and can run a web server or other goodies (also has a media server but that never functioned properly for the amount of music i have)

You have to be careful of the low-end NAS boxes you see. They'll have a gigabit ethernet port on the back, but the box's CPU and other electronics won't be able to sustain anywhere near that speed. A few years back when I was in the market for such a device the only sub-$200 NAS that was capable of greater than 'ethernet 100' speeds was the D-Link DNS-323 (no longer sold). It's speed tests blew anything Zyxel, Netgear, Linksys, etc. had out of the water.

Just a couple weeks ago, I rejuvenated its usability by flashing a third-party firmware (a la DD-WRT) that gave it the ability to use EXT4 or even a full-blown Debian install off of it if I want. I greedily upgraded to EXT4 for the journaling and other features, but I think I'm going to  hold off on going all out with Debian.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2013, 04:40 PM »
You still have 9 hours and 19 minutes to purchase a license at 83% off again: $10

http://www.bitsdujou...imeline-professional

I am not sure about the so-called "lifetime" key. I mean, why do they have a system where you can check if you're eligible to a upgrade discount: http://www.genie9.com/store/Upgrade.aspx ?

NB!
The deal is with Avangate, USA.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2013, 01:34 AM by Curt, Reason: are »

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2013, 07:18 PM »
This doesn't include lifetime updates.  The 'fineprint' tab says:

Upgrades to future versions of the software will be free for 3 months. For versions after that, upgrades will require additional payment, which will be discounted.

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2013, 01:45 AM »
This doesn't include lifetime updates.  The 'fineprint' tab says:
Upgrades to future versions of the software will be free for 3 months. For versions after that, upgrades will require additional payment, which will be discounted.

-thanks.
I have written and objected to their use of the sentence: "a lifetime of protection"

I still remember when Audials gave me a lifetime key.... for version 8 and 8 alone!

Midnight Rambler

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2013, 11:10 AM »
Don't mean to rain on the parade but I'd just a soon buy a factory copy of Acronis TI 2013 off of eBay for $10, shipped than this.  I know Acronis has its haters but it is a mature product.
Compaq Presario 5716 (98), Dell Dimension 4700 (XP), Lenovo ThinkPad T530 (Win 7 Pro > Win 10 Pro).

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2013, 05:55 PM »
I know Acronis has its haters but it is a mature product.
-Midnight Rambler (November 12, 2013, 11:10 AM)

Really - I used to love Acronis until it became a bugfest. Don't know if things have improved but I was seriously embarassed by them when I recommended the business version clients and the software kept being updated and introducing ever more bugs which meant that even if you could get it to complete a backup (rare IME when I dropped it) the backup archive usually wouldn't verify - or if it did wouldn't restore properly .

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2013, 02:44 AM »
now it is even free!!

http://www.giveawayo...e-timeline-pro-2013/

The program is available for $59.95, but it will be free for our visitors as a time-limited (November 21, 2013) offer.
-Giveawayoftheday

Please remind me, why did I purchase a license?

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2013, 10:21 AM »
Funny comment about it there, almost like a grandfather paradox  :D

Once this is installed, and used, and a computer is restored to an earlier time, would this program be non-useable again? Because restoring to an earlier time would 'uninstall' it, and then it would be past the GOTD period, and not installable again.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2013, 10:27 AM »
now it is even free!!

http://www.giveawayo...e-timeline-pro-2013/

The program is available for $59.95, but it will be free for our visitors as a time-limited (November 21, 2013) offer.
-Giveawayoftheday

Please remind me, why did I purchase a license?

And it was given away free over on Glarysoft, yesterday: http://giveaway.glar...prfessional2013-584/