topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 10:30 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Newsletter for February 14, 2012 - "Heart of a Bird"  (Read 25666 times)

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Newsletter for February 14, 2012 - "Heart of a Bird"
« on: February 14, 2012, 10:13 PM »
Newsletter for February 14, 2012
"Codename: Heart of a Bird"

1. Newsletter Editorial

Greetings.  It's been about a month since we posted the results of our NANY 2012 event; if you haven't checked out the videos of all of the new free apps yet, you'll find a link in section 4 below -- I encourage you to give them a look.

Things have been a bit quiet on DC since then, except for the day we joined ranks with Wikipedia and went offline for 24 hours to protest and help kill the proposed SOPA legislation that would harm Internet freedom (see section 8 below), and except for a major new software release: Screenshot Captor 3.

I hope you will forgive me taking some space in the newsletter editorial to talk a bit about this release.  I want to say thank you to all the Screenshot Captor users and testers, and especially the donators, who have made it possible for me to keep working on the program for all these years.  Version 2 came out on September 3rd, 2005.  That's six years and over 100 updates ago.

If you've not tried Screenshot Captor yet, this might be the perfect time to do so.  And if you're already a user of Screenshot Captor but haven't yet made a donation -- I'm hoping you will take this opportunity to do so -- it would mean a lot to me.  Even better would be to take some time and use our DonationCredits system to distribute your donation to different members on our site whose work you want to support.

Lastly, I want to dedicate this Screenshot Captor Version 3 release to Gizmo's Tech Support Alert website, which gave Screenshot Captor its Best in Class award for screenshot tools.  Gizmo has always been super supportive of this site, and I can't express how honored I feel to have Screenshot Captor receive that award.  It motivated me to double my efforts to improve the program.  See below for links to more reviews as well as some videos showing off the new features.

Oh yes -- and happy Valentine's day!

2. DonationCoder Software Updates and Discussions

Below you will find some updates and discussion threads for some of the main DC applications.  The Screenshot Captor and Find and Run Robot releases this month also mark the start of a new process for packaging the releases.  In the past each program had a single zip-compatible installer.  The new releases are now provided as two separate downloads, a standard installer and a portable zip file.  This should eliminate any confusion with portable versions and eliminate some partial download difficulties.  In addition you will find the files are now digitally signed, which should eliminate some annoying warnings about unknown downloads in some browsers.

3. User-to-User: Your Input Requested

We love nothing more than having interesting discussions on our forum -- and we love when new people participate in the discussions.  In each newsletter we try to highlight a few topics that we think might interest casual readers and that are good candidates for making your first post.

4. DC Member Software Threads

We love to keep up with projects that our members are working on.  This month quite a few of the projects from NANY 2012 are seeing some active development.

5. Mini-Reviews

We are always interested in hearing what our forum members think of software they use.

6. General Software Discussion

Almost half the posts on the forum fall into the category of general software discussions, questions, recommendations, etc. This is one of the most active sections of the DC forum and a great resource if you're trying to solve a software or hardware related problem. We get so much traffic on this board that we've split the recent content into sections in the newsletter - general software and specific software discussions.

7. Specific Software Discussion

This section of the newsletter draws attention to some of the standout discussions about specific programs that have been started since the last newsletter.

8. Fun and Education: Website Discoveries, Debates, Discussions

What's new in cyberspace? What exciting new sites have been discovered by forum members?  What's the current hot topic and debate? Read on to find out...

9. Discounts and Giveaways

We haven't been doing too many discounts and giveaways lately.  That's partly a reflection of the existence of some reasonable sites dedicated to such things.  But I did want to note a few items.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:45 PM by mouser »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: --> Newsletter for February 14, 2012 - "Heart of a Bird"
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 11:21 PM »
Shameless request: If you haven't yet done so, please consider making a donation to the site.

Thank you.  :-*

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 03:01 AM »
Thanks for the effort, mouser!
Full of good stuff, as usual.

Armando

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:35 AM »
 :Thmbsup:
And congratulations for Screenshot Captor v3's Best in Class award !

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 08:07 PM »
Thanks for all the encouragement  :Thmbsup:

bianca never7

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 02:21 AM »
Thanks

shameedp

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 10:20 AM »
thanks

tosim

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 11:32 AM »
And once again, a grrrreat, informative newsletter. Thanks.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2012, 12:34 PM »
Somebody murdilized Cody and ate his heart? :'(

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 12:29 PM »
 :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup: :Thmbsup:

grandpastan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Great again. Thanks much. :Thmbsup:
“You can tell a lot more about a person by what he says about others than by what others say about him.” Anonymous