topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 8:24 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IRLDD NYC - Martin and app103  (Read 5995 times)

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
IRLDD NYC - Martin and app103
« on: February 07, 2012, 11:18 PM »
I have known Martin for about 10 years, and today I finally got to meet him face to face for the very first time.

We had a lot of fun and a bit of an unplanned adventure.

Martin met me at the WTC PATH station and instead of going straight to lunch, we decided to find a place to have coffee and chat for awhile. And chat we did, for a lot longer than we had expected.

Martin in the coffee shop:
PICT0001.JPGIRLDD NYC - Martin and app103

For whatever reason, I am not sure why, we created origami and gave each other some rather odd little souvenirs to take home. He made me a tiny little boat out of half of one of our coffee receipts, and I made him a paper cup/envelope out of the other half. (I also made something else he will post a photo of later.)

By the time we left the coffee shop, it wasn't lunch we were going to have, it was dinner.  ;D

Trying to find the place we had picked out [Koko Asian] wasn't easy. The street it was on ended at the PATH station and the numbers still weren't low enough, meaning the street had to continue elsewhere, probably beyond the train station. We chose to go around the station and turned right when we should have went left.

When you know where you are on your mental map but the map in your head is upside down, you end up walking in the opposite direction than you should. We spent quite awhile going around in circles till we finally found the restaurant, completely by accident.  :-[

The food was good, reasonably priced for NYC, and they gave you plenty of it. Martin's dream of coming to NYC and having "noodles in a box" was almost fulfilled, but rather than it being in a little white take-out box, it was served in a mini wok (we would have had to get it to go if we wanted the box part of the plan, and neither one of us was up to the task of finding somewhere outside, at night, to sit down and eat it.)

Martin at Koko:
PICT0004.JPGIRLDD NYC - Martin and app103

Dinner of vegetable Lo Mein:
PICT0002.JPGIRLDD NYC - Martin and app103

Got our waiter to take this photo of the 2 of us:
PICT0005.JPGIRLDD NYC - Martin and app103

Martin was quite surprised that I had no difficulty understanding him. He thought his British accent might give me trouble. Before meeting him, I thought it might, too, but it turns out that even though he's a Brit, he really has much less of an accent than I would have expected. He sounds like what one would expect if he had lived in the US for the last 10 years. :huh:

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: IRLDD NYC - Martin and app103
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 11:21 PM »
Awesome  :Thmbsup:

Thanks for sharing the meeting with us  :-*

mahesh2k

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 02:42 AM »
 Hmm noodles ... :D  :Thmbsup:

JoTo

• Super Honorary
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2012, 03:04 AM »
It's every time awesome if 2 (or more) DoCo's meet in RL. I am glad you enjoyed your meeting.

I am just unsure if i wanted to have asian food, when i'd visit the USA. I may prefer more "american specialities" instead. But every child should get the balloon in the color it wishes, shouldn't it? :)

Nota Bene: I LOVE asian food. So THAT's not the point, eh! And "plenty of it", as App said, sounds very good to me. *LOL*

The great thing but also the sad side of DonationCoder is, that all my long time fellow DoCos are spread world wide and so far away to have a regular RLDD. I think "beaming" from StarTrek needs to be invented ASAP to make this possible. :)

Looking forward for more shared reports of DoCo-RLDDs. Thank you App.

WOOOHOOO!
JoTo

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2012, 01:38 PM »
I am just unsure if i wanted to have asian food, when i'd visit the USA. I may prefer more "american specialities" instead. But every child should get the balloon in the color it wishes, shouldn't it? :)

If/when we meet, I already know what you are having for dinner. Fettuccine Alfredo, and I am doing the cooking. (remember?)

The whole "noodles in a box" thing is something Martin has wanted for a long time (after seeing a photo online) and keeps forgetting to get some. So I told him that when we met I would make sure he got some, and I did (even if they weren't in a box).

Martin_130286

• Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Invalid Cast
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2012, 06:11 PM »
I had a lovely time and I'm already working out how I can get back to NY ASAP. That's if I don't decide to hide out in China town for 10 years until I can claim residency, eating Lo Mein the entire time.

April showed off her hidden talents for dollar bill origami too, I've added a pic of the 'dollar ring' she made, it's true American engineering (and she didn't even charge me for labor).

Also added a picture of progress they're making at the World Trade Centre site (as it was pretty with it being all lit up at night). And a picture of the bright lights in Times Square.

IMG_0468.JPGIRLDD NYC - Martin and app103
IMG_0471.JPGIRLDD NYC - Martin and app103
IMG_0493.JPGIRLDD NYC - Martin and app103