topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:28 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Kyrathasoft Found Money (a NANY 2012 entry; my 1st Coding Snacks fulfillment)  (Read 12271 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Application Name Found Money
Version 1.0.1.6
Short Descriptionmanage your pocket change or "found money" and track it over time...
Supported OSes Windows XP forward
Setup File link to download setup file
PAD file URLhttp://kyrathaba.dcm...y/FoundMoney_PAD.xml
System Requirementsrequires .NET 4.0 Framework (installer will D/L and install it if needed)
Author Infocoded by kyrathaba | Profile page | Kyrathaba DC page | author of Kyrathaba's Source Code Line Counter. My past NANY entries include: Crocus Contacts, Blackjack, and NANY Excuse Manager.
DescriptionWe all do it: find a dime on the sidewalk, or a quarter in the floorboard of our vehicle.  Lots of people pick these up as "found money".  Superstitious people sometimes make sure the coin is heads-up first, though :)  And many people empty their pockets at the end of the work-day, and save their pocket change.  I myself have a separate coffee mug for each coin type: pennies, nickels, dimes, quarters.  Naturally, each mug is a DC mug...

I've been doing this for a long time.  Several times over the years I've emptied a big jar of coins and cashed out $200 to $350 at my local bank.  Wouldn't it be nice if there was a program, preferably FREE, that tracked this "found money" (or the money your kid sticks in his or her piggy-bank)?  Well, thankfully, DC member caddo requested just such an app and, intrigued, I created it.  I give you "Found Money"!  For anyone wanting background on this app, you may refer to this link.
Features
  • add each "find", specifying the number of each type of coin and bill found, the location it was found, and the date.
  • edit previously saved files (maybe you accidentally assigned the wrong date, or got the number of quarters wrong, etc.)
  • show and browse data for all saved records, or for a subset of those records falling inclusively between two dates
  • intelligently query the records: "Now what day was that when I found the silver dollar in the men's lavatory?"
  • pie charts visually show the ratio of coins to other coins, bills to other bills
  • alongside the pie charts is a textual breakdown of coin/bill percentages, both of total coins vs bills, and in terms of overall money
  • allows you to set a backup directory (I recommend using this with a Dropbox subdirectory)
Screenshots
Installationuse the Inno Setup installer
Using the applicationAny special pointers about using the app should go here...
Uninstallinguse Windows' Add/Remove Programs applet, or your favorite uninstaller, or the built-in Inno Setup uninstaller
Known Issuesnone known: please report any your find, preferably with specific steps to reproduce the error, and a screenshot of the problem
Notable mentionsdotTech article
Alternative Software[url=https://www.donationcoder.com/forum/index.php?topic=21021.0]Skwire's "Piggy Bank"

« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:13 PM by kyrathaba »

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
The current version, 1.0.1.7, allows the user to -- optionally -- set a backup folder (think: specify a DropBox subfolder). Everytime you save a new record, it gets backed up to the backup directory, if one is specified.

download link

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Found Money got listed on new beta download site, Catalog of Software  :)

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Congrats... but something strikes me odd... other than your name, there's no credit to you, i.e. link to your page, etc.  Is that just the way the site works?

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Not sure, but it seems to me that more and more download sites are springing up that simply scour the net for links to software, obtain the software, and then make it available on their site. Sort of a quick "stocking the shelves" without much credit or permission asked.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
^ Heh, amend that: they don't even host the setup file. They just point a link to where I'm hosting it ... <sigh>

wraith808

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
So they're making money at your expense (or at least building their reputation) ... not cool.  I'd contact them, and make sure that they at least link to your page for the download rather than directly to the file.