topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 2:18 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Can U Say Crap-O-Riffic??  (Read 21028 times)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Can U Say Crap-O-Riffic??
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 06:10 PM »
I've never shot anyone, and I pray I never have need to do so; but if I do, I want maximum stopping power in my chosen handgun  :D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2012, 06:19 PM »
Yes, because the very last thing you want to have in a shooting is a second version of what happened...  ;)

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2012, 06:24 PM »
loaded with hollow-points

(Well of course) Do they still make another kind of bullet? ;)  :D

Solids ;)
Spoiler
1851-colt-revolver.jpg

Yes, because the very last thing you want to have in a shooting is a second version of what happened...  ;)

Spoiler
Solids: The only way to say "F*CK OFF!" to the person in front and his three mates behind......with one shot.
250px-Brenneke.jpg

« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 06:32 PM by 4wd »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2012, 10:23 PM »
Zoiks! That's a hell of a round. But I'd rather the hollow-point, as they're designed to frag and stop in the first target. It's safer for the Innocent bystanders that way. Chances are you'll have to asses the field of fire in a split second, so it's best not to take chances with overkill.

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2012, 11:17 PM »
Zoiks! That's a hell of a round. But I'd rather the hollow-point, as they're designed to frag and stop in the first target. It's safer for the Innocent bystanders that way. Chances are you'll have to asses the field of fire in a split second, so it's best not to take chances with overkill.

Perhaps I should have pointed out that the second, (12g - causes very large recoil and makes a really big mess of things ;D ), doesn't go in the first, (1851 Navy Colt - lot of fun, bit slow to reload).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2012, 06:33 AM »

Perhaps I should have pointed out that the second, (12g - causes very large recoil and makes a really big mess of things ;D ), doesn't go in the first, (1851 Navy Colt - lot of fun, bit slow to reload).

Understood. I recognized the antique black powder/ball ammo revolver. I'd thought that the Navy Colt had a back strap over the cylinder ...(So was thinking Colt Dragoon)... But I'm not that up on with the older stuff. *Shrug*

My brother is a big fan of the solid loads/slugs in a 12g (e.g. I'm familiar with the recoil). Me I tend to think of the shotgun as a mid-range coverage weapon (with 00 buckshot). I carry on a regular basis...so I tend to (must) be/stay mindful of the repercussions that certain choices can have. :)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2012, 08:06 AM »
"Got some hairy-scary people in this saloon, Dobbs. Best don't be drinkin' too much."
 :P
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 08:44 AM by 40hz »

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2012, 03:34 PM »
Since we're totally off topic, I'll share something a friend sent me:

Well...She sure is pretty. But with muzzle discipline like that, I don't wanna be standin' in the same county, let alone the same field, when this lady starts shootin'.

Damn, she's dangerous!
:tellme:

Next time they turn her loose with an automatic shotgun they might want to see to it she has a few hours of training - and maybe another 20-30 lbs worth of weight on her - before somebody gets hurt. (Or a plane gets shot down.)

« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:10 PM by 40hz »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2012, 04:42 PM »
O_o Damn! Her posture was way off (e.g. destined to fail); leaned way back like she was modeling on a runway. Lean into the friggin thing for Christ sake! Good thing it wasn't a Barret 50 cal ... She'd have taken out a few satellites and the ISS.

Scampering back OT for a moment... ;)

I definitely going to have to go with a hardware compatibility issue on the array (which is holding for the moment). I took the second "failed" drive to the office and ran a diag on it.

WD diag said all is good short & long tests.
DBAN burned the drive - DoD Short 3 pass.
WD diag said all is good short & long tests.

But the RAID Array wouldn't tolerate it for shizel... *Shrug* ...This could be a trilogy.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2012, 06:09 PM »
Cable? Controller fritzing? Mechanical/electrical differences between different drive models and manufacturers? (My guess.)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2012, 06:34 AM »
Cable? Controller fritzing? Mechanical/electrical differences between different drive models and manufacturers? (My guess.)

Chapter Three... (God Damn it...)

All drives in this saga have been WD, but obviously they're not playing well together for some reason.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2012, 08:22 AM »
Well Duh!!

Critical: WD Caviar Black, Caviar Green, and Caviar Blue hard drives are not recommended for and are not warranted for use in RAID environments utilizing Enterprise HBAs and/or expanders and in multi-bay chassis, as they are not designed for, nor tested in, these specific types of RAID applications. For all Business Critical RAID applications, please consider WD’s Enterprise Hard Drives that are specifically designed with RAID-specific, time-limited error recovery (TLER), are tested extensively in 24x7 RAID applications, and include features like enhanced RAFF technology and thermal extended burn-in testing.
-WD Support

The set of 3 WD3200YS drives I was using are/were Enterprise class RE (Raid Edition) devices.

RTFM ... It's not just a catchy phrase.

(yes, I feel stupid)

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2012, 08:28 AM »
Oh well. Better to find out upfront rather than the hard way three months down the road. :-[

(If it's any consolation I should have spotted that earlier too.)

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2012, 03:51 PM »
Damn, I should have mentioned TLER earlier. It did cross my mind... Well, at least you tracked it down.

- Oshyan

4wd

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2012, 05:38 PM »
FWIW :)

Does anyone understand the differences in the Western Digital drives? mention WDTLER.exe and WDIDLE.exe if you can find them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 06:36 PM by 4wd »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2012, 06:54 PM »
FWIW :)

Does anyone understand the differences in the Western Digital drives? mention WDTLER.exe and WDIDLE.exe if you can find them.

Yeah, I know ...(thought about it several times)... But I couldn't find the damn thread.  :D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2012, 12:41 PM »
Hay! ...Guess whose day in-the-barrel it is:

RAID dsk 2.jpg

First it was disk 2, now it's disk 1 ... I'm guessing disk 0 is probably not long for this world either ... So I'll be needing to order 2 more of these monkey slapping things.

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2012, 12:55 PM »

I feel for you... And yet again, we see why we estimate the time it will take in minutes, and budget hours...  :-\
Some days I just hate computers...

I did a database rebuild for my company this month, lightweight all told, but still, in those Management Meetings you have to stand by "It will take two weeks, is that what you want to hear?"