topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 10:58 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: In search of ... someone who wants a wireless camera (DCS-930L) & mini-rant  (Read 3666 times)

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Picked up a D-Link DCS-930L wireless Internet capable camera a few weeks ago.  Just spent an hour trying to install it.  The only method that apparently will work requires a registration with D-Link's MyLink service.  I have no desire to access this camera via the Web  :down:.  I have no desire to subscribe to a D-Link service - or anyone else's, for that matter  :down:, on order to get the camera to work.

I'm certain there's nothing wrong with the camera  :huh:.  I'm equally certain, some personal reservations aside, that the D-Link service is OK  :huh:.  But I don't have time to mess with a piece of hardware that tries to dictate my actions before it's even fully installed  >:(!  OK, if time were not my enemy, I could prolly bypass this, but ...

So ...

Anyone want a camera  :-\?  PM me with an address, first response gets it.  I'll ship it to ya within a day or two (2).  No cost, not even postage.  I don't wanna throw it away  :-\, but I'm sure as Hell's back yard is hot not gonna keep it  ;).  It simply does not fit my standards for hardware  :mad:.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Well, that didn't take long  :P.  It's wrapped, packed, and waiting to ship.

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Glad you found someone who could make good use of it, Barney. Hopefully, your good deed will be repaid soon.

barney

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Thanks, but I'd hardly call it a good deed  :P, just a dislike of wasting good hardware even if it doesn't suit my needs.  

No one local had a use for it, so I thought of DC - one (1) of the very few non-RTFM  :Thmbsup: forae I've ever found.

And, apparently, it's going to be used to view a new grandchild - can't think of a better use :-*.

Now I just have to find a wireless camera that I can use intranet.  Maybe Radio Shack?  Oh, well, the search is on  ;).

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
I bought D-Link once before. I learned my lesson. Never again.

Sorry you had to learn your lesson, too. :(

Innuendo

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Nothing wrong with D-Link overall, but like most network hardware companies, they outsource most (all?) of their products. You just have to be very careful reading reviews before you commit to buying something with their name on it.

I've got a DNS-323 NAS which had best in class performance when I bought it & a DGS1224T smart switch I bought for a song on eBay which is/was considered a stellar performer. I've had them both for a number of years and they've never let me down.

Having said that, there are other products D-Link has released which reviews have shown that you shouldn't touch them with a ten-foot pole.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Just wanted to say good on you barney -- let's have more such giveaways of unused computer equipment on DC -- better than the stuff sitting on the shelf  :up: