topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:07 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Typing break for Windows: alternative to Workrave  (Read 8366 times)

alexey_r

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Typing break for Windows: alternative to Workrave
« on: December 17, 2011, 03:44 AM »
I have two major problems with Workrave, which would otherwise be exactly what I want:

1. If you aren't using keyboard or mouse constantly, you end up with longer intervals between breaks.
2. There is no simple way to disable/reenable it. Bug 501 is 6 years old.
3. It would be even better if it could automatically be disabled when using specific applications (e.g., as mentioned in the bug, full-screen games).

Yes, it's open source, but it's C++, so I won't be able to just modify it :( Are there good alternatives?
Alexey Romanov

Paul Keith

• Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Typing break for Windows: alternative to Workrave
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2011, 04:57 AM »
I don't quite understand the problem but this is the general Google search for it:

http://alternativeto...t/software/workrave/

I've only used EyeDefender in the past and I prefer it to workrave but more for aesthetic reasons.

Judging by the site, nothing has changed and I'm unfamiliar of what bugs it used to have.

http://www.eterlab.c...ender/documentation/

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2011, 05:04 AM »
Yes, it's open source, but it's C++, so I won't be able to just modify it :( Are there good alternatives?
Just keep nagging the developers with good motivations to make changes, and they probably incorporate them after being convinced.

What's stopping you from learning how to program in C++, by the way? :D

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2011, 05:11 AM »
You could try my Instant Boss. While it won't do it automatically, you can easily pause it when you don't want it to interfere, like when you are playing a game. It also doesn't rely on keyboard/mouse input for setting the intervals or break length, so what you set is what you get.