topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Wednesday April 17, 2024, 8:04 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: SOLVED: DimScreen + DimSaver = MonitorTintFixer?  (Read 7853 times)

skribb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
SOLVED: DimScreen + DimSaver = MonitorTintFixer?
« on: December 13, 2011, 04:34 PM »
I recently came up with the idea of an app that would "fix" backlight bleeding, clouding etc for LCD monitors. I was going to post the idea here and then I read about DimScreen and DimSaver and I thought "yes! perhaps my idea is doable".

Anyhow, this is my concept:
anti clouding / backlight bleed app:
A click-through, translucent layer sitting on top of all desktop windows, all the time. You can load an image file into the app and then choose the transparency rate of the image. This will then act as a software-based countermeasure for LCD screens suffering from clouding or backlight bleeding.
The way the images work is that you create an image with the same dimensions as your monitor, and then, if you notice half your monitor is slightly green-tinted, you color that part of the image with the hue of your choice. Then once you've loaded the image into the app, you choose the transparency rate to match your monitor's needs.

Obviously this probably won't work for videogames or full screen movies, but those aren't as important since bleeding and clouding isn't as noticeable with moving pictures. Now seeing as both DimSaver and DimScreen exist (not to mention White.ahk!), it shouldn't be too hard to make this app a reality ^_^

Sounds like a pretty neat idea, don't it?  :D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:16 PM by skribb »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: SOLVED: DimScreen + DimSaver = MonitorTintFixer?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2011, 04:46 PM »
Trouble in paradise for you:

Backlight bleeding is caused by the casing and the display panel/backlight assembly not mounted completely light-proof, so a little bit of light is leaking (bleeding) at the borders of the display. A mechanical/construction issue.
There's exactly 1 way to fix that: Take the thing a part, fix the size and mounting issues of the parts and re-assemble it. That may prove to be impossible.

Sorry :o

skribb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2011, 04:51 PM »
Yeah I know the cause of backlight bleeding. I don't think you understand my concept.  :-\

It would be primarily used to fix uneven color-tinting and clouding issues. I'll change the subject name to reflect this ("MonitorTintFixer") ;D
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 06:14 PM by skribb »

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2011, 04:57 PM »
Before I'd go through that much trouble on a cloudy/crap-colored display, I'd get another, better, display. You're probably watching it a couple of hours a day, why accept mediocre?

skribb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2011, 06:15 PM »
Before I'd go through that much trouble on a cloudy/crap-colored display, I'd get another, better, display. You're probably watching it a couple of hours a day, why accept mediocre?

Well, problem is, since the first flat screen I bought was off the charts amazing performance wise (plus cheap!) I've become very picky. And my budget doesn't match my standards =P

skribb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2011, 06:34 PM »
I just realized I can use Samurize for this. As an avid Samurize user it's quite lulzy that I hadn't thought of that earlier.  :D  :D

skwire

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2011, 11:55 PM »
skribb, do you mind if I mark this thread as solved?

skribb

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 12:43 AM »
I guess you can do that :Thmbsup:

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 08:18 AM »
Unfortunately the original title, containing the word MonitorBleedingFixer (or something close to that), seems to have been changed before the move took place, and now the title is quite out of context :(