topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:00 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: 24-Hours Giveaway - DiskBoss Pro  (Read 13014 times)

ocsid80

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Flexense
    • Donate to Member
24-Hours Giveaway - DiskBoss Pro
« on: December 10, 2011, 02:59 AM »
We have just released DiskBoss v2.0 - an automated, rule-based file and disk management solution
allowing one to perform disk space utilization analysis, file classification and categorization,
duplicate files detection and removal, high-speed file synchronization and data migration, disk
change monitoring, rule-based file organizing, data wiping and much more.

The product is available here:

http://www.diskboss.com

The following DiskBoss Pro unlock key will be active for 24 hours:

5830-2869-5594-5135

sujay85

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Insights in Technology
    • Donate to Member
Re: 24-Hours Giveaway - DiskBoss Pro
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2011, 08:36 AM »
Thanks..:)

alalata

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2011, 09:21 AM »
Thanks a lot.  :)

Steven Avery

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2011, 12:26 AM »
Hi,

Thanks.  I am doing the upgrade now.

From the 1.x version I am using.

Most of the Ultimate not Pro features I can understand and be happy about ... eg.the SQL database. However Ultimate is a bit pricey, I would have to see what specials, licensing possibilities, etc to consider if I was looking to upgrade to the top.

I ran DiskBoss on my D: and got a choke message about files too long, turned out to be a recursive folder from a Cobian backup (DiskBoss was simply giving me a good warning since it could not read everything within Windows, a known difficulty that can occur) and after checking around and playing with RUN (Dos) commands and this and that .. found a program called Deep Remove from CodePlex that cleaned up this monster that had eaten my Chicago disk space .. 10 gigs !  I only learned about it because of the DiskBoss msg.

It still says I have a folder 13 deep.  Somewhere. Could you figure a way to let me know where the deep multi-layer-cake folders are ?

And I notice that you can clean my D: of temp files, which CCleaner does not want to do, but I really would like a little more info before the delete, maybe in the documentation ?  Even a preview list, with or without the full path, would be helpful.  Peace of mind.

In my 1.x the folder sizes do not show in the overall view of the disk, hopefully that is something addressed now in the 2s...  This is the big plus of Foldersizes.  Was I missing an option ?

Nice program. Appreciated.  It is a funny genre where programs that seem similar are often quite different.

Shalom,
Steven
« Last Edit: December 11, 2011, 12:33 AM by Steven Avery »

ocsid80

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Flexense
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2011, 02:52 AM »
Disk space analysis preview is already available in DiskSavvy (www.disksavvy.com)
and it will be added to DiskBoss in one of the upcoming product versions.

ocsid80

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Flexense
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2011, 03:50 AM »
The DiskBoss Pro giveaway ended.

Thank you all for feedback.

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2011, 05:36 PM »
A belated thank you for the giveaway. Much appreciated. One comment, if I may, on the pricing model for your products.

We all have different needs, and the one feature for me that I would like from the ultimate edition is the Real-Time Disk Change Monitor. Now I'm happy to pay more for it and I note that you sell it as a separate product (DiskPulse) for $25. Fair enough, I suppose, except it would be more desirable to have it built into Diskboss, but the ultimate edition is priced for business users.

And while I completely agree that features such as the SQL server are business-oriented and should be priced as such, I think command-line access to features is another thing. Many of the "home users" who visit this site are the kind of people who like using the command line if possible. Likewise, is "running as a service" really a corporate feature? So many of us run home servers now.

I think there's room for another "home user" premium version of Diskboss. For non-commercial use, pitched at say $50 (per home user, not per machine), that incorporates all the geeky Diskboss features that users of this site appreciate, without the SQL trimmings. Whether it makes business sense to you is another thing.

ocsid80

• Participant
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Flexense
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2011, 01:36 AM »

Thank you for your feedback.

From the technical point of view, it is really easy to add a low-cost version with
advanced features, but the problem is with the cost of the customer support.

Advanced features, such as services, command line tools, customization capabilities,
databases, etc. require much more customer support, approximately about 4 times
more than a regular GUI application and therefore licenses for these products and
much more expensive.

For example, last Friday a company asked to help to resolve an issue with DiskPulse
Server configuration, which took us half a day to fix.

It is true that we have our own problems, but frequently issues we need to solve
are related to customer's storage and servers configuration, user accounts, etc.

So, in general, you can put on a web site a very best product version including
all advanced features, but once it is online, customers will use it and you will have
to support it (both development costs and customer support costs) with the
amount of resources you have.

johnk

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2011, 07:55 AM »
Thanks for taking the time to respond and explain.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2011, 06:46 AM »
The DiskBoss Pro giveaway ended.
It's ON again (for another 19 hrs.) - just downloaded and installed the PRO version after seeing GOTD  2011-12-13.

Thanks!

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2011, 07:11 AM »
I downloaded and gave it a try.

It's a very nice disk utility that does what it says on the wrapper.

I ran into some problems with FF after clearing out caches via the cleanup option. But I have no idea if it has anything to do with DiskBoss since FF had been acting a little balky previously. Clean install of FF and all was well. Except for losing everything the Scrapbook extension had saved. *Major* bummer that. Oh well... :(

Well worth giving this tool a try IMO.

Note: You need at least the Pro edition to get long filename support. That a showstopper AFAIC when it comes to using the free edition. So if you want to try it, definitely cruise on over to GAOTD and grab a copy there while you can.
 :Thmbsup:

« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 07:17 AM by 40hz »

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2011, 07:47 AM »
Except for losing everything the Scrapbook extension had saved.
Really?
But Scrapbook saves its files all in a special directory. Nothing to do with FF cache.

I have previously lost connection (through the Scrapbook add-on) to the saved Scrapbbok files, but not the actual files themselves.
If they really have been deleted (i.e., you knew where they were on your disk and now they've gone), then:
  • Do you have them backed up?
  • Can you get them from a Restore Point?
If not, then as you say:
*Major* bummer.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2011, 08:53 AM »
@IanB- Ah! Then perhaps all is not lost after all? I did an admittedly cursory search, but came up empty-handed. Do you know what the default save directory is when running under Win7? I didn't see it on the Scrapbook website. But I know I didn't change it from whatever the program default was when I installed it. Most times, for this type of thing, I'll accept the default directories but sync them to a central directory which then is the backed up to DropBox or something similar. Keeping the default directories as is makes life much easier when requesting support from a small software developer. 

Didn't do it for Scrapbook obviously, otherwise we wouldn't be having this conversation.  ;D