topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:36 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: google queries re new "2-step verification" / new style, etc  (Read 10811 times)

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
google queries re new "2-step verification" / new style, etc
« on: December 07, 2011, 10:58 PM »
1] Anyone tried out the new "2-step verification" ?
How was it for you? ;-)

2] anyone know when they are going to force the new style [edit ~ I mean the new UI] on us? (I'll need to do support for some older-beginner-relatives when that happens - probably better to just make the change before it's forced on me, but having a time-frame would help). Edit - I see they've already forced it on one of my accounts, it's possible that it's being phased in as opposed to all at once...
Tom
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:38 AM by tomos, Reason: see [edit~] :-) »

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: google queries re new "2-step verification" / new style, etc
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2011, 11:01 PM »
I use it. Not bad at all. Not intrusive.

Anyway, the banks here in Turkey made us used to two factor authentication, so it does not feel weird now.

Don't know what it will do to google talk alternatives though. Didn't try to use miranda or trillan etc. with this new system.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2011, 11:05 PM »
I wasn't aware that it will ever be forced. As if google care that much about stolen accounts, but that's another 'debate'.

eleman

• Spam Killer
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2011, 11:09 PM »
I wasn't aware that it will ever be forced. As if google care that much about stolen accounts, but that's another 'debate'.

They probably don't care about the victims of stolen accounts, but they do care about the cash they bleed to support staff needed to cope with stolen account retrieval procedures.

rgdot

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2011, 11:14 PM »
They probably don't care about the victims of stolen accounts, but they do care about the cash they bleed to support staff needed to cope with stolen account retrieval procedures.

You are probably right, but having said that the 2 step verification setup itself is costing them a lot, if they didn't have Google voice infrastructure already I doubt they would provide 2 step verification so readily

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 06:44 AM »
Seems a bit much for a basic Google email account. So I'm guessing they're putting it in place primarily for something else. Possibly to make GoogleDocs more appealing to corporate buyers?

Who knows?

With their level of capital and infrastructure I wouldn't be surprised to see Google entering the financial services market soon. It worked very well for megacorps like GE and Mercedes-Benz.

Hmm... GoogleBank, GoogleInvestment, GoogleProperties, or GoogleFunds anyone? Why should the Gnomes of Zurich and Wall Street have all the fun - and get to collect all the nickels too! 8) ;D
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:00 AM by 40hz »

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 07:40 AM »
Sorry I didnt phrase the second query so clearly :-)

I meant: anyone know when are they going to force the new UI on us?
Tom

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 08:33 AM »
Seems a bit much for a basic Google email account. So I'm guessing they're putting it in place primarily for something else. Possibly to make GoogleDocs more appealing to corporate buyers?
Not sure about that. People don't like to get their accounts stolen. Facebook has had this for like ~6months or something, I guess Google had to respond with a similar feature.

I've been using it, but I find it a bit annoying. Along with two step authentication, they have also implemented single-use passwords: you have to change the password for your email client (in all computers), google talk and desktop calendar (if you have any of those). Also, if you delete browser cookies when you close the browser, you will have to enter the phone password every time you login with google.

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 02:58 PM »
I don't get it. The 2-step verification is not a new thing from Google. It's been around for almost a year now, since February: http://googleblog.bl...curity-for-your.html

I don't use it because I don't have a mobile I can receive text messages to. I only use Google Voice. That means I'd need to be signed into my account already to get the code that is required to sign into my account.

As for the new UI. It's not entirely new, either. I changed over to it shortly after Google+ launched (which was in June?) since I knew it was going to be forced on me eventually. I'm already used to it and I don't think much about it these days.

The date on this article about the new Gmail UI is from July 1. That's nearly 6 months ago. http://www.tomsguide...r-UI,news-11728.html

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 03:47 PM »
I don't get it.

"it" being my queries, or googles verification?
~ I'm just being a little contrary :)

I've only seen both these features offered in gmail in the last few weeks here (it's possible I had a shortish spell before that where I didnt use a browser to check mail). I guess they introduced them in the US first...
Tom

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 07:47 PM »
I don't get it.

"it" being my queries, or googles verification?
~ I'm just being a little contrary :)

I suppose I was especially confused by calling "2-factor verification" something new, since it is almost a year old and that's nearly a decade in internet time. ;)

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2011, 04:17 AM »
I suppose I was especially confused by calling "2-factor verification" something new, since it is almost a year old and that's nearly a decade in internet time. ;)
I guess that's because google has been pushing it just now, along with the new look. At least for me, I hadn't seen anything in gmail asking me to try it until last week or something like that.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 03:53 PM »
One nice thing about the new look is that it's somewhat customizable, i.e. message list density. Along with a few choice Gmail Labs projects (or Greasemonkey scripts, if you must), Gmail can be almost whatever you want it to be.

I recently discovered the "split pane with preview" Labs option that makes it very much like a desktop email client and it's pretty interesting! I long ago got used to not having the preview pane, and I don't like everything about the behavior when it's enabled, but the quick toggle and easy switch between vertical and horizontal split is pretty cool. I haven't yet decided if I'll end up using it enough to leave it enabled but it's awesome to have the option.

- Oshyan

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2011, 10:59 PM »
I recently discovered the "split pane with preview" Labs option that makes it very much like a desktop email client and it's pretty interesting! I long ago got used to not having the preview pane, and I don't like everything about the behavior when it's enabled, but the quick toggle and easy switch between vertical and horizontal split is pretty cool. I haven't yet decided if I'll end up using it enough to leave it enabled but it's awesome to have the option.

Personally I don't like the split-pane preview window. What I do find useful sometimes is simply right-clicking an e-mail and then it will load a preview window on the fly. It's one of the Labs features called "Message Sneak Peek." :Thmbsup:

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 02:22 AM »
Yeah, Message Sneak Peak also seemed potentially useful. I haven't played with either enough to decide between them.

- Oshyan