topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 7:05 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: How do I change the paper printing size?  (Read 19920 times)

liquidriver

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
How do I change the paper printing size?
« on: November 26, 2011, 01:58 PM »
I am trying to print the files to output as jpegs that are saved to my hard drive.
I am using this virtual printer
http://www.zan1011.com/

I have followed the directions on their web site to make a custom paper size
http://www.zan1011.com/paper.htm

However everytime I try to print out, the files are sized as 8.5x11 files.

I even tried another virtual program called PDF creator and have the same issue.

I want to do this so I can add a website where people can either view or download the images for a church christmas day party.

Under cardstock tab I have selected CUSTOM and put in size of 6x8 paper
I have also changed number of rows from default of 5 to 4 and size from 2x3.5 to 2x3"
Under the Print Tab I have clicked on the SET UP printer Button in lower right hand corner and gone through the printer setting to choose the 6sx8 paper size I want.

None the less when I open any of the saved jpeg files in photoshop they are formatted as 8.5x11" paper.

Thanks for any help with this.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: How do I change the paper printing size?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 06:01 PM »
Hmm, interesting.  It should work fine but I must admit i've never tried printing on other than 8.5x11 BUT if i had to guess i'd say the problem was not with flipsuite/flipbook printer but with the virtual printer tools.  I will try it out and see if i get the same results.

liquidriver

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2011, 07:03 AM »
Thanks I really appreciate the program and free support. I'm probably going to wind up using a 8x10 or 6x8 dye sub printer so being able to change the paper size to something other than 8.5x11 is crucial.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2011, 07:39 AM »
Hmm, interesting.  It should work fine but I must admit i've never tried printing on other than 8.5x11 BUT if i had to guess i'd say the problem was not with flipsuite/flipbook printer but with the virtual printer tools.  I will try it out and see if i get the same results.

(Sorry - Just thought I'd chime in with a few thought)

.JPGs don't have a paginated document size. They're at the whim of whatever application is formatting them for the printer.

Print driver's (suprisingly) aren't necessarily that picky ... especially if the job sent doesn't specify a size, and the data will fit on (what's available) 8.5x11.

If liquidriver wants to print on 6x8 media, they'll most likely need to define and specify that custom size during & for the device that is actually going to put the image on paper.

Printing the image to .pdf may allow specifying a document size, but that is not going to prevent it from being overridden by the app that prints the pdf (by default) to whatever size media that is typically handy.

liquidriver

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2011, 08:13 AM »
Thanks Stoic Joker for the reply.

Actually the PDF printer application and the JPEG printer application both allow a lot of different paper sizes through the virtual printer driver. Download them for free and try it out yourself.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2011, 08:21 AM »
Stoic Joker has a very good point though -- if you use this method and save to PDF, and open the PDF files -- and go to the pdf file properties -- do they also say 8.5x11, or do they show the correct size?

In other words, is it only when you save as jpg that you have this problem?

liquidriver

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2011, 10:37 AM »
I just tried actually printing it to the Kodak 605 dye sub printer I have and it will begin spooling to the printer, but never finish about 3mb out of 16. After about 2 or 3 minutes the WinXP PC gives me an error that the print job has failed. I have installed on two different PC's with the same results.

To answer your question, PDF file properties also show 8.5x11 page size with the images taking up a 6x8 in size.
I supposed I could write a photoshop batch action to correct this, but hopefully not.
There is a 3" white space on the bottom and a 2.5" white space to the right.

Has anyone gotten this software to work on a paper size other than standard letter paper?

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2011, 10:48 AM »
I think I have the solution for you:
Screenshot - 11_28_2011 , 10_47_23 AM.png

You need to set page size here.

liquidriver

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2011, 11:13 AM »
sorry I already did that on both PC's. I'm going to test with a different printer in a few minutes.

liquidriver

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2011, 11:53 AM »
Just tried using a HitiPL510 dye sub printer. It kinda worked. I had wanted to print a 2x3 grid layout on a landscape 4x6 sheet of paper. Set the flip book software to landscape as well as the printer default preferences, and although the preview looked great, the printer printed it out the opposite orientation creating a big white block and cutting off the images.

Are there some obvious steps I'm missing somewhere? I'm surprised printing on different sizes of paper other than Letter has never been an issue before.

liquidriver

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2011, 12:14 PM »
Just tried sony updr200 dye sub printer, has the same issue as the hitpl510
preview in landscape shows up fine, but when printed it prints in opposite orientation.

liquidriver

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2011, 02:21 PM »
Tried two more printers the DNP Ds80 dye sub, This 8x10 printer doesn't even print. Jobs spool to it and then they are erased from the print que.

Next tried the HP Office Jet 8500 inkjet printer.
worked fine using 8.5x11" paper.

After spending several hours testing various printers, my opinion is either I'm missing something obvious or this software can only be used with standard letter sized paper.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2011, 06:48 AM »
Printers do have a tendency to freak out about paper sizes that may cause them to jam. 4(w)x6(h) will feed, while 6(w)x4(h) will cause most printers to freak and refuse to feed (or cycle) properly (which is amazingly easy to do when you start manually defining things). They also have the ability to auto rotate the content being printed to fit the media loaded.

Tray 1 is usually the safest (by design) for specialty paper ... Try resetting most of the media config back to the auto detect defaults, and run a few tests that way. Otherwise you may be inadvertently rotating to image twice...putting it right back where you didn't want it. :)

liquidriver

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2011, 07:43 AM »
These are dye sub printers, they use rolls of paper (not sheets). There are NO trays.
Auto rotating is a driver feature and ALMOST all dye subs do not have that feature.

The issue is the software shows it printing in the correct orientation and it prints the opposite way.

I may try to trouble shoot it again, but after wasting most of the day yesterday will probably not.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2011, 12:08 PM »
These are dye sub printers, they use rolls of paper (not sheets). There are NO trays.
Auto rotating is a driver feature and ALMOST all dye subs do not have that feature.

Actually the driver only goes by the users portrait or landscape input, the autorotation is handled by the print device. While roll feed machines have some of their own behaviors, others are shared. You mentioned using a HP Office Jet 8500 inkjet at a test machine which is why I got started on that line of thought (I work for an HP Authorized Service Provider - So our main product is printers, print management, etc.). The HP roll feed devices (plotters) have an option that minimizes to amount of paper/footage used by storing, rotating, and arranging print jobs.

The issue is the software shows it printing in the correct orientation and it prints the opposite way.

Understood, and that is a common side effect of specifying to many settings in to many places. As devices get smarter, we get stuck having to trust them, because sometimes they follow instructions a bit too well... :)