topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 9:25 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2012 - Pledge & Final Release: Stick A Note  (Read 64845 times)

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 - Pledge & Release: Stick A Note
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2012, 09:05 AM »
Thanks everyone for the reviews and feedback.

Have updated to version 2.1.0 (modified the version in original post) as Final version.

Changes are as below,

Version 2.1.0
-------------

- To automatically show note for active program, select 'Auto Show' Note in Settings. Once note is closed, you can press hotekey to show it again.
- If the active program has a note, then the tray icon changes to idicate it, even if the note is closed.
- To quickly edit a note, click on the note text to get 'Edit note' menu option.
- To quickly copy the note text to clipboard for other program, click on the note text to get 'Copy note to clipboard' menu option.
- To insert text from clipboard, select 'Insert..' in Edit Note window.
- To delete a note from system, select 'Delete' in Edit Note window.
- Select default note color in Settings.
- Select default borderless note in Settings.
- Select Hotkey in better way with separate checkboxes and dropdown list in Settings.
- [X] (close) link made [ X ], bit bigger.

Regards,

Anand

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 - Pledge & Final Release: Stick A Note
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2012, 07:26 PM »
I like the Auto-Show option!

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2012, 07:53 AM »

Gee, some days I am sharp as a marble! I finally figured out what Anand probably knew months ago - that unlike Stickies (which I will also keep using) where the notes "float by themselves", StickANote travels to active windows, which you normally "can't write on". So I just found one of the killer apps - email annotations! It drives me nuts when people send you some five files, then *two of them* turn out to be bad or later superseded by new copies - bleh! What do you do then? Delete the email? Resend it to yourself with the bad files removed?

Gmail has Superstars, which lets you tag an email with symbols, so I use the QuestionMark for "dangerous emails", but "1-byte" of info still leaves you guessing trying to remember *why* the email went sour.

So now I/you can mark an email as Dangerous, *then* bang a StickANote on it so then you can WRITE what went wrong!

Anand, couple thoughts for when you get time - your note seems to head toward the upper right, but lately everyone is putting all the web-app controls in the upper right! So the notes block the email signout, etc. Same with Adobe Acrobat, all the tools are in the upper right now. What if you could either pick another corner or slide it along the top? Also, I don't see how to resize the notes.

P.S. On my Win 7 machine some of the About and Settings text is still falling off the display screen. (Not sure yet about my home machine.)

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2012, 10:04 AM »
@anandcoral : Just wanted to say thanks for creatingStick-A-Note.
I'm not sure to what extent I could/would be likely to use this app., but I think it's rather nifty and am trialling it.   :up:
I think I have come across a similar (not identical) note app. - I recall trialling it, but I forget its name.(!) It wasn't much use to me, anyway and I uninstalled it. I will see if I can dig it up.

Otherwise, there is something not at all similar - the Gmail "cloud" note add-on: Gmail Notes
- which I still have, but am also not sure to what extent I could/would be likely to use it, but I think it's rather nifty!    :up:
I mention it here merely as a point of curiosity for those who may be interested - as I am - in sticky-type note systems and their potential for being part of a PIM system.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:13 AM by IainB »

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2012, 10:39 AM »
Thank TaoPhoenix, IainB and all DC members for the appreciating SAN  :)

- floating note in a small window, for changing size and position.
- find text in all notes
- different folder for notes
etc. are on my mind.

Since I expected the world to know about SAN only after official announcement in Jan 2012, so was working slowing on the points, which already I had in my hand. But the reviews before that made me to fulfill the users expectations sooner. Last update was of few of the points.

GumNotes - freeware and shareware.- http://www.gumnotes.com/
Quick Notes Plus - shareware - http://conceptworld.com/QNP

are similar app of  which I checked GM, but somehow I was not satisfied with it. So I made SAN.

The main goal of SAN is to allow user to keep important notes of features, options, todo etc. of particular program or document at hand. SAN should not be a distraction or create rigidity for the user. It should be slave of user under his/her command.

As a professional developer for 15 years or so, I know that it is the data which is most important than the app. Many app will come and go, based on time and user choice but the data of each user will remain important for him/her.

This is the reason I choose text format over any type of database or rtf etc. If any thing happens to SAN or user finds a better app, he do not have to worry about his/her notes, which he may have made in the long run of time. They are always readable or transferable or copyable in all OS, cloud, app etc.

I try to put my self in all my apps, be it free or paid. I want user to remember me for my work and good apps.

Please give me some time as I have lots of project work to do. Will take up SAN points after that.

One again thank you all.

Regards,

Anand

TaoPhoenix

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2012, 11:35 AM »
Nice note Anand!

Meanwhile, there are workarounds to the positioning situation - if you StickANote on your window, then resize the window, the note seems to "float off to the side" which is rather interesting, so that blocking problem I mentioned isn't fatal.

I also like that the notes are text, because it opens up possibilities of doing other things with the note data.

Edit: The note seems (on my machine at least) to keep the same relative-to-screen position when I resize my menu, so that if you purposely shrink the email first, write the note, then expand the email / browser back to the size you normally look at it, the note is now in the relatively barren top middle away from all those right hand controls.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 03:10 PM by TaoPhoenix »

PhilB66

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2012, 09:06 PM »
 Check out StickyTool (Win 7). Has some features that SAN does not have (yet  :)).

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2012, 12:46 PM »
Thanks, PhilB66 for the 'StickyTool' link. I will add it on 'Stick A Note' site as similar program along with GUM Notes and Context Notes. Well I will never be able to make all features of all similar programs and that is not my intention too. I am trying to take the features which, I think or the user tell me, are important for SAN usage. If you look from the other side of the river, you will find few features of SAN missing in them  :)

Thanks TaoPhoenix, and yes there many possibilities due to text file feature of SAN. In fact I got one paid project where I was able to show current attendance information as a 'Stick A Note' on a 3rd party program, which is very old and its developer had left, but was still very useful to the user. I can not reveal more as this is a paid project, but I know many developer here will get the hint  ;)

Regards,

Anand

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2012, 01:08 PM »
Thank you mouser and cranioscopical for the donation.

I am happy that Stick A Note proved useful to users.

I also take this opportunity to thank steeladept for the donation of "Overlap Wallpaper" and mouser for "Park Cursor Aside", which I thanked in private mail. But after reading some thread I knew that one can also say 'Thank you' in public  :)

Regards,

Anand
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 01:14 PM by anandcoral »

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2012, 10:34 AM »
Thank you kyrathaba for the donation  :)

Regards,

Anand

epopuI

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 03:25 AM »
Thank you for sharing this neat tool. I appreciate all the hard work that has gone into programming SAN  :up:

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 12:02 PM »
Thank you epopuI

Regards,

Anand

rodicadonna

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2012, 02:56 PM »
Looks promising, but I wish one might use it on an Android tablet where I have so many apps that I do not remember why I installed so many ...
Regards,
Johndim

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2012, 09:16 AM »
Hi Johndim,

I do not have any tablet right now and so can not even visualize how SAN should work on it. But yes your suggestion points where the developers now have to look, beyond Windows.

Thanks for the appreciation.

Regards,

Anand

eagleeyez

• Participant
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 06:43 AM »
Hi Anand : please let me know if you need any help with graphic of your freewares, I will be glad to send you some nice gfx to make them look even better.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2012, 10:45 AM »
Thank you eagleeyez.

Though I use very little image to keep exe size small, that too of low color depth and size, I will keep your advise in mind.

Regards,

Anand

DyNama

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
  • Are you a good witch or a bad witch?
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2012, 10:18 AM »
anandcoral, i love this program! my image viewer vueprint puts the name of the image in the title bar, so with stick-a-note keying on the title bar, i can put individual notes on different pictures! i already have 407 notes. will SAN be able to handle 1,000 notes? 10,000 notes?

SAN does goof up every so often on my win7 x64 laptop and suddenly start showing the wrong note on every window that gets focus--it even shows the note on the pop-up window when i click on the tray hidden-icon button! but i just end task and restart the program.

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2012, 12:01 PM »
Hi DyNama,

SAN keeps the notes in individual text file in the program (exe) folder. You can browse from explorer and view, edit or delete them. The notes are separated on based of the window title given. Since these are small text files in the folder, the number is limited by OS only. The problem may be how fast it can search and load the respective text file, when a window comes in focus. May be with too many number of files, this will cause some delay in displaying the notes.

If you find that wrong notes are shown for a window, I suggest, you explorer the program folder and check for the file named SAN_<window title> and delete it. The <window title> is cleaned up from '\*' etc. characters, if exist in original window title.

Please let me know if you are facing problem after the clean up.

I am sorry that I have not been able to fulfill my promise of making the explorer/finder from SAN within for the notes, due to continuous project work pressure. Still I like to thank all well wishers that the project work is helping be to reduce my liabilities.

Regards,

Anand

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2012, 04:22 AM »
Thank you DyNama for the donation  :)

Regards,

Anand

DyNama

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #44 on: December 29, 2012, 02:38 PM »
Hi, Anandcoral,
as i said, i love this program, but the sad fact is, it goofs up a lot on my win7 x64 laptop. here's screenshots of SAN showing the wrong note:
SAN_error 5.jpg
SAN_error 7.jpg
These are windows that do have a note, SAN is just showing the wrong one. Sometimes i want to edit the existing note but the wrong note comes up in the SAN editor. i had to move the SAN…txt file of the wrong note out of the StickANote folder―in fact i moved all of them except the ones i wanted to edit. Then i moved them back and restarted SAN, but that did not stop it from showing wrong notes.

here's a screenshot of SAN showing a note that doesn't even belong―this note transfers to every window that has focus, even the "Show hidden icons" window in the tray!
SAN_error 1.jpg
End-tasking SAN and restarting does stop this behavior.

I'll find workarounds if i must, but i sure would like fixes. perhaps a way to unload or refresh the SAN database in memory?

anandcoral

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Free Portable Apps
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #45 on: December 30, 2012, 01:49 AM »
Sorry DyNama that you are facing problem in SAN.

End-tasking SAN and restarting does stop this behavior.

I'll find workarounds if i must, but i sure would like fixes. perhaps a way to unload or refresh the SAN database in memory?

Since re-starting SAN fixes this problem, I feel making an option to refresh the memory data will fix it, as per your suggestion.

I will make an option for it.

I am begging for some time for it, as my wife was hospitalised and she needs some rest now. My times are divided between family and work now. So personal work like SAN and NANY are getting pending.

Regards,

Anand

DyNama

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #46 on: December 30, 2012, 02:51 AM »
Anand,
How could SAN match a wrong note to the window title is what i'm curious about. Restarting the program does not fix that, and SAN is fairly consistent in that it usually picks the same wrong note to display on a particular window.

Of course tend to your wife and job. There's no program like StickANote so i'm sure i'll still be using it, workarounds and all.

Have a Happy New Year!

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2014, 11:43 AM »
Hi Anand,

I really like Stick-A-Note. If you have the time, I suggest you add it to AlternativeTo.net as an alternative to GumNotes etc. When it comes to sticking notes to a specific document and application window, I find that SAN outshines the competition, so it deserves to be more widely known.

IainB

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • @Slartibartfarst
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 12:34 AM »
Stick-A-Note - 02b Alternativeto screenshot.pngNANY 2012 - Pledge & Final Release: Stick A Note

EDIT: added quote:
Thanks, IainB. Here is the direct link to like Stick A Note on AlternativeTo.net
« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 04:59 PM by IainB »

dr_andus

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Dr Andus's toolbox
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 04:00 AM »
Thanks, IainB. Here is the direct link to like Stick A Note on AlternativeTo.net