topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 12:17 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Multiple printer defs under W7. Anyone have the key to this?  (Read 9585 times)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Does anybody know how to set up, under W7, multiple instances of a printer, each using its own set of parameters — and in a way that works?

E.g. for the same printer:
One definition might print on plain paper, fed from one source, and in draft mode.
One definition might print on photo paper, fed from a different source, and in highest-quality mode.

Under XP one simply made a copy of a printer listed in the devices section and then set the preferences for that copy.

After some fiddling, I made a copy of a printer under W7. Then I set one copy to params a and the other to params b. Both 'printers' appear but one is on a sub-menu of the printer icon (see image).

Printers.pngMultiple printer defs under W7. Anyone have the key to this?

To my chagrin, both variants print with the params of the later of the two to be changed — whichever that might be. Despite being able to select one or the other from any printer dialog, each produces the same result.

JavaJones

• Review 2.0 Designer
  • Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Multiple printer defs under W7. Anyone have the key to this?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 01:58 AM »
Does your printer driver not have a built-in preset or setting memory management function? Or do you just want to make it a little quicker to access something like that?

- Oshyan

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 04:05 AM »
Is it a wrieless printer or are you connecting with a USB cable?

If it is a USB cable have you tried clicking Add a new printer and adding a new copy of that printer?

Not sure how you can do that with a network printer (Windows seems to just recognise that it is the same printer).

tomos

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 04:21 AM »
FWIW, I'm pretty sure I used the "Add a new printer" method for this (I was unable to make a copy of the printer). It showed same as your's above - in sub-menu under printers, but as seperate printer in print dialogue. But it *does* work here.
Again FWIW also with a Canon printer - connected per usb cable.
Tom

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:41 AM »
Does your printer driver not have a built-in preset or setting memory management function? Or do you just want to make it a little quicker to access something like that?

- Oshyan
Thanks for the response; the latter.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 09:55 AM »
Is it a wrieless printer or are you connecting with a USB cable?
It's both but I use USB

If it is a USB cable have you tried clicking Add a new printer and adding a new copy of that printer?
I have

Not sure how you can do that with a network printer (Windows seems to just recognise that it is the same printer).
I'll try something different with printui (viz. printui /il but pointing that at a fresh copy of the driver, not the copy that's installed)

EDIT
And… that worked. Should have worked the first time, picking up the installed driver, so I must have stuffed it up.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:11 AM by cranioscopical »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 09:57 AM »
FWIW, I'm pretty sure I used the "Add a new printer" method for this (I was unable to make a copy of the printer). It showed same as your's above - in sub-menu under printers, but as seperate printer in print dialogue. But it *does* work here.
Again FWIW also with a Canon printer - connected per usb cable.
Hmm… that rather confirms what I suspected, that the problem exists between the chair and the keyboard.

EDIT
See previous message

Thanks for the help, folks. It was useful knowing that this had been done properly, which made me re-review what I'd done  :-[
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:14 AM by cranioscopical »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 11:39 AM »
After some fiddling, I made a copy of a printer under W7. Then I set one copy to params a and the other to params b. Both 'printers' appear but one is on a sub-menu of the printer icon (see image).
-cranioscopical (October 10, 2011, 10:50 PM)

Just out of curiosity, did you reboot after making the copy?? Some of these newer drivers (I've seen HP & Brother do it) like to get cute from time to time and through shadows of either themselves, or a part of themselves that looks like a partially borked install. This strange and annoying phenomenon usually sorts itself out after a reboot forces the what's what issue. (Hint: I'm pondering the cause of the unspecified Raw Port entry in the SS).

Also, some of the universal printer drivers try to be an all in one single driver that handles all print devices by manufacturer X ... Which could be why the Canon(s) grouped-up on you.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 01:54 PM »
Just out of curiosity, did you reboot after making the copy??
Thanks for chiming in. You betcha I rebooted.

(Hint: I'm pondering the cause of the unspecified Raw Port entry in the SS).
I've been carrying that on the books for quite some time.

BTW, after my first, failed attempt to do what I wanted — post reboot — I completely removed Canon drivers, started up again, had the OS 'find' the printer and then sent the install to fresh-from-Canon drivers. That left me with one perfectly working instance of the printer. On the next cycle I tried adding another instance and got the 'stacked' result (all on one icon) but both instances responded to changes in either one. At that point, after looking around the web and seeing that others had similar issues, I posted here and awaited the golden flow of combined wisdom. When I saw that Tomos had his setup working I took the steps detailed in my post previous to this. To me, the fact that the final go round worked implies that I missed something along the way (not totally unheard of  ;D). I don't understand why it happened — did the OS treat the Canon initially as a network printer? —  and I'm too idle to rip out the whole thing and go round yet again in order to research it.

Also, some of the universal printer drivers try to be an all in one single driver that handles all print devices by manufacturer X ... Which could be why the Canon(s) grouped-up on you.
Interesting. Tomos has the same grouping with his Canon but I've seen that others with other makes have the same phenomenon; dk if those are using the type of 'universal brand' driver to which you refer.

The grouping doesn't bother me at all. I simply want to pick a 'printer', from any drop-down, that will behave as I want with no intervening steps.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 05:05 PM »
Interesting. Tomos has the same grouping with his Canon but I've seen that others with other makes have the same phenomenon; dk if those are using the type of 'universal brand' driver to which you refer.
-cranioscopical (October 11, 2011, 01:54 PM)

Many are, thing to remember is while there is many brands...They are all using the Same few technologies for lobing the job to the printer. So most of the bad habits get shared as well. HP doesn't even develop drivers anymore (quote form an HP rep) they just let the Uni-Monster auto-configure itself to whatever is needed for the latest devices (a bit scary me thinks).

The grouping doesn't bother me at all. I simply want to pick a 'printer', from any drop-down, that will behave as I want with no intervening steps.
-cranioscopical (October 11, 2011, 01:54 PM)

If you ever do an update or clean install  for the main HP Universal Driver Package it will try to default to the single instance (all printers through me) configuration. I've never selected it (because it sounds a bit sketchy), but I may need to one of these days just to see what actually happens.

I frequently use the multiple print driver instance configuration as a safety net for check printers or specialty form to keep users from screwing up either their books (not all accounting software reprints checks smoothly), or wasting pricy numbered documents (like narcotics perscriptions) ... So I well understand the need for the config you were after.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 06:20 PM »
@SJ

Thanks for the insights. If you need a beta tester for the check printing just shoot me a machine and some stock  ;)

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 06:33 PM »
HP doesn't even develop drivers anymore (quote form an HP rep) they just let the Uni-Monster auto-configure itself to whatever is needed for the latest devices (a bit scary me thinks).

That really does account for a lot of issues you see with HP ATCW (Almost Totally CrapWare) drivers. It also accounts for why almost any model in their range seems to suffer from the same software issues.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 08:21 PM »
HP doesn't even develop drivers anymore (quote form an HP rep) they just let the Uni-Monster auto-configure itself to whatever is needed for the latest devices (a bit scary me thinks).

That really does account for a lot of issues you see with HP ATCW (Almost Totally CrapWare) drivers. It also accounts for why almost any model in their range seems to suffer from the same software issues.

Neat huh? Like the insistence on enabling Mopier Mode (and sometimes HDD) by default on laser printers which causes multiple copy prints to fail. I just love that one.

But I've seen other companies do even worse with their network service implementations (send to Email/Network Folder/etc.), so it's real tricky to pick a favorite.

HankFriedman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • A computer nerd whose also a psychic & astrologer
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to Hank Friedman's Website
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2011, 11:32 PM »
I have used the WPrinter utility for years and love it.

The download link is:

http://www.usysware.com/downloads.aspx

and the WPrinter home page is:

http://www.usysware....Printer/Default.aspx

there are free and pro versions, and the utility lets me switch between multiple versions of the same printer (draft, regular, and high-quality) with a simple, configurable hot-key