topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: [FEATURE REQUEST] Feature Lockdown  (Read 5411 times)

Cosmic_Onion

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
[FEATURE REQUEST] Feature Lockdown
« on: October 05, 2011, 04:39 AM »

In secure Windows environments, where users are not typically local admins, it can be common practice to prevent users browsing into C:\Windows etc. FARR's explicit search method bypasses these group policy lock downs and gives users access to the whole file system.

It would be great if there could be a separate INI file in the C:\Program Files\FindAndRunRobot directory (where non-admins do have write permissions under Microsoft standard security model) that could be used to specify values to 1) turn off explicit search method 2)  lockdown\grey the Search Folders part of options GUI so users cannot their own folders.

Giving some control to admins over what users can do would definitely make FARR more attractive for corporate environments.

Many Thanks

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: [FEATURE REQUEST] Feature Lockdown
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 07:31 AM »
That's a really interesting idea.
I've always wondered if FARR might make a good program for companies to install on employee's computers with pre-configured applications and aliases.

And this is a neat idea for that -- would be fairly easy to add your requests.. I think I will add them.

Cosmic_Onion

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 09:40 PM »
Thanks, would be great. You should of received a enquiry today from my company in NZ about an enterprise license.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2011, 10:30 PM »
Ah that was you. Great.  :up:

Cosmic_Onion

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2011, 05:35 PM »
The other 'nice to have' things corporates would probably like to able to turn off is the auto update feature and its links (as standard users will not have rights to upgrade) and the link to this forum I'm afraid  :(

We are perfoming a small trial of the product for a couple of weeks before deciding to buy.

Thanks again.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2011, 05:40 PM »
Send me an email ([email protected]) - I'm very interested in having FARR make its corporate debut and would be quite willing to make these kinds of changes to have it fit in.

In addition to locking down some features -- it would be easy to make a custom installer (or portable version) that included custom aliases that were shared across the company as well as eliminating those you didn't want.

In addition to disabling the update check -- another option would be to simply change the update check location which is easy enough, so that it checked your own servers for your own custom updates, etc.