topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 6:26 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Another possibility - WME  (Read 9604 times)

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Another possibility - WME
« on: March 15, 2006, 09:56 AM »
Hi, guys!

Great review. Thanks very much. I've watched this category myself over the years, and it's always good to keep up to date with what's current now.

My company is using a screencasting tool called Firefly for some of its training stuff. It's pretty high end, but has some interesting abilities, like being able to simulate applications. It actually captures menu choices, drop-down choices, etc. and caches them even when they are not chosen/displayed during recording, so during the demo you can turn the controls over to the viewer/user and let them play with a simulated version of the app you are demoing. Pretty unique.

But the other thing I didn't see mentioned and wanted to point out was that there is a tool for capturing fluid movies that gives hgh-quality output and is free - Windows Media Encoder. The latest version of WME include a "screen codec" with capabilities similar to Camtasia's proprietary codec, and you can use the encoder app to capture screen movies with audio narration.

There are no bells or whistles - no editing and no annotation/graphics. But the output is very good and the price is right as well. Makes a good alternative to Wink if you are in the "free or nothing" crowd (unless you're also in the Mac or Linux crowd!)  :)
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Another possibility - WME
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 06:34 PM »
Jim,
could you give a link to Firefly please?
thanks
tony

Jimdoria

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2006, 01:54 PM »
You can check out the Firefly features list at the following page:
http://www.knowledgeplanet.com/products/firefly.asp?pagen=1

There are other related pages at their site, but this gives the most concise and informative sum-up of what the app can do.
- Jimdoria ~@>@

There are two kinds of people in the world: Those who divide everybody into two kinds of people, and those who don't.

tsaint

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • Hi from the a*** end of the earth
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2006, 03:32 PM »
thanks Jim,
it sounds pretty impressive - I suppose the price is too! (probably out of a school's league)

bmm

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Bent Møller Madsen
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 07:36 AM »
A year ago I read something about $10,000 for a Firefly license, so yes it is definetly in another category than ordinary ScreenCaster software. Other software in the same category as Firefly are SoftSim, OnDemand and InfoPak.