topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 4:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: New Folder 2 2.4.2.0  (Read 15826 times)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
New Folder 2 2.4.2.0
« on: September 02, 2011, 11:47 PM »
New Folder 1.0 Just a simple Hotkey to create a New Folder on Vista or Windows Seven.

Please note Requirements at the top of my hotkeys page:
http://www.favessoft.com/hotkeys.html

Default hotkey is F7 Function Key.

To create a new folder, Desktop or an Explorer Folder Window should be the "active window."  On Windows Seven, it just sends the Control-Shift-n hotkey built into Windows Seven.  On Vista it either provides an InputBox to get the new folder name, of if Desktop is active it just uses macros to use the built in New=>Folder in the context menu.

You may change the hotkey using the .ini file.  See AutoIt3 help file for hotkey syntax.
The readme has a link to the AutoIt3 download page if you want to use a complex hotkey instead of changing the function key number.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 06:14 PM by MilesAhead »

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Folder 1.02
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2011, 11:25 PM »
New Folder 1.02 Small changes in the code.. error checking etc..

The Readme now has a link to a page with detailed AutoIt3 hotkey information.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Folder 2 2.0
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 10:01 PM »
New Folder 2  2.0 A rewrite of New Folder program.  Now it uses an AHK hotkey handler exe.  This provides much smoother pass through of the hotkey when neither the Desktop nor an Explorer Window is active.  Application handling of their shortcut keys should be normal.

The main processing is still done with an AutoIt3 app. I may use this approach for AutoIt3 unless they improve the hotkey handling.  AHK just handles it more cleanly.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 02:20 PM »
the most handy solution is to create a new subfolder folder when you double click on the empty area of a folder view, imo

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 02:52 PM »
the most handy solution is to create a new subfolder folder when you double click on the empty area of a folder view, imo
That means moving your hand from the keyboard to the mouse and then back to the keyboard - definitely not very handy.

The best is a decent filemanager, but MilesAhead's solution is decent for those who stick to explorer.
- carpe noctem

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 03:05 PM »
FreeCommander I've used for a long time. It has F7 already for new folder. I let it pass through to app windows.

Edit the ini file option for Hotkey.  Try some of these until you find something you like:

http://www.autohotke...com/docs/Hotkeys.htm

Edit: I added the above link to the Readme

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 03:10 PM »
That means moving your hand from the keyboard to the mouse and then back to the keyboard - definitely not very handy.

The best is a decent filemanager, but MilesAhead's solution is decent for those who stick to explorer.

Yup.  FreeCommander has F7 for new folder. I got used to that key.  My program passes the key on if not on desktop or in explorer folder.  With QTTabBar explorer isn't so bad.  Esp. on Windows Seven the folder button on the Taskbar lets me close all folders at once.

Also I made a hack to open Explorer folders spaced out on screen from paths in a text file. It's easier to take an existing folder set file and Save As in an editor than to use a Layout in FC.

kalos

• Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 03:12 PM »

no, I think you are wrong: you don't move your hand from the keyboard to the mouse, you most often have your hand to your mouse already!

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 03:40 PM »

no, I think you are wrong: you don't move your hand from the keyboard to the mouse, you most often have your hand to your mouse already!

I'm mouse oriented also.  That's why I use AHK to do the hotkey part. It has better Mouse Hotkey support than AutoIt3.  For me it's just easier in most cases to use AutoIt3 to do the guts of the app.  Also AHK is superior when it comes to passing the keys on.

Eventually I should have some scheme to change the hotkey without having to close the app and edit the .ini file.  But one step at a time. :)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 04:42 PM »

+1 - though it's not very convenient if you don't have your file manager running and want to create a quick folder on the desktop. I've written an AHK script using the same shortcut I use within X2 (F12), that only runs when the focus is on the desktop or the taskbar/start menu. I pass the current date+time as the default folder name.

BTW, Miles, your program ran fine on XP.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2011, 04:47 PM »

+1 - though it's not very convenient if you don't have your file manager running and want to create a quick folder on the desktop. I've written an AHK script using the same shortcut I use within X2 (F12), that only runs when the focus is on the desktop or the taskbar/start menu. I pass the current date+time as the default folder name.

BTW, Miles, your program ran fine on XP.

Thank you.  Part of the fun of the hotkey stuff is fixing little oversights. Like when I got Vista pre SP1 Control-Enter did not open selected folder(s) in a new window like XP.  Drove me nuts.  Easy to fix with a hotkey. :)

nosh

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2011, 05:05 PM »
I'd tried an older version, before the hotkey handler.  Ran fine, but I probably only tested it on the desktop... can't recall for sure.

In any case, it's all good now. :up:

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2011, 06:31 PM »
I'd tried an older version, before the hotkey handler.  Ran fine, but I probably only tested it on the desktop... can't recall for sure.

In any case, it's all good now. :up:

The old version used a "trick" suggested in AutoIt3 help. It disables the hotkey, uses Send to send the key, then enables again.  Turns out it doesn't work correctly when programs like editors that have accelerator keys, have the focus.

It touched of a discussion about how to accomplish the equivalent of AHK #IfWinActive in AutoIt3. Turns out there's a user written hotkey library that handles class situations but I still don't think it has the Mouse hotkey support that AHK does.  AHK must do it themselves in the base engine because every time I tried the Hotkey WinAPIs from C++ nothing to do with the mouse ever worked. :)

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Folder 2 2.1.0.0
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 09:20 PM »
New Folder 2   2.1.0.0 Added Change Hotkey command to Tray Menu.

See the Readme for link to AHK hotkey format reference.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Folder 2 2.2.0.0
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2011, 10:04 PM »
New Folder 2   2.2.0.0 Added secondary hotkey, Shift-NumPadSub, to open the Home Folder of the Active Window.  This is the same as the main function of my Home Folder utility.  But since I run NewFolder2 all the time it's a handy hotkey to have.

As example, if the active window is EditPadLite application window, or some other program, and you want to know where it is installed, instead of searching or opening the shortcut, hit Shift-NumPadSub. The home folder will open in Explorer.

Should work on XP and later. It uses WMI call to get the location of the exe associated with the window.

If the Active Window is an Explorer Folder then it should open the folder where Explorer.exe lives.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Folder 2 2.2.1.0
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 03:56 PM »
New Folder 2    2.2.1.0 Minor update. If the About Box shows the hotkey for Home Folder function, the hotkey assignment succeeded.

Tuxman

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 07:32 PM »
BTW ac'tivAid also does that. :P

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 08:07 PM »
Yeah, once you have the WMI function then it's only a few lines of code.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Folder 2 2.3.0.0
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2011, 04:11 PM »
New Folder 2    2.3.0.0 Added ini file option for "home folder" function.  Set UseHomeFolder=0 while NewFolder2 is not running, to disable. Default is to enable the function.  Double click Tray Icon for About Box to see if the hotkey assignment succeeded.

As usual, .ini file has the same base name as the program and is in the same folder as the .exe.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Folder 2 2.4.0.0
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2011, 10:03 PM »
New Folder 2    2.4.0.0 Updated so that it should no longer be dependent on Explorer option "Show full path in Address Bar" in Vista and earlier OS.

Now that I found the work-arounds on AutoIt3 and AHK forums I intend to remove that dependency from other Explorer utilities I've written. Folder Cache etc..

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Folder 2 2.4.1.0
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2012, 05:43 PM »
New Folder 2     2.4.1.0 Added code so that InputBox stays on top.

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: New Folder 2 2.4.2.0
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2012, 06:14 PM »
New Folder 2     2.4.2.0 Fixed Home Folder function to work with 64 bit OS.