topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:33 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Text Expander for Medical Transcription and general purpose  (Read 10077 times)

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
We are currently preparing a new Text Expander software with a MS Office like Ribbon user interface:
screenshot.jpg

We welcome you to participate in the upcoming beta test program: http://www.instaphrase.de

Update 12/22/2011: We have changed the name to WordExpander. It is available at http://www.wordexpander.net
Michael
« Last Edit: December 22, 2011, 10:35 AM by BartelsMedia, Reason: New URL »

Jock Posen

• Participant
  • Joined in 2007
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Text Expander for Medical Transcription and general purpose
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2011, 10:29 AM »
As a GP using British nomenclature, I'm keen to participate as a beta tester, but I'm unable to follow the link http://www.instaphrase.de/ Regards, Jock Posen

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2011, 10:32 AM »
Link is working for me -- maybe just temporarily unreachable from your network?

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2011, 10:55 AM »
I can also visit that site without trouble, but I tried downloading and it gives an error that the page isn't there.

Must be a site error :(

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2011, 11:09 AM »
BartelsMedia, how does this fit into the PhraseExpress family?  It looks like a lot of power for a freeware.  Are you planning to introduce charges when it's out of beta?

As you know, the Ribbon is a love/hate affair.  Is there an option to turn it off and revert to normal Windows behaviour for those who prefer it?

In another thread, tranglos says - I think, haven't gone back to check - that he hasn't found a text expander that has a "macro language" powerful enough to have flow control.  Maybe that's more suited to a dedicated macro progam anyway, but does anything like that appear in any of your programs?

bmms

• Participant
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2011, 04:57 PM »
A sort of flow control will be in the next PhraseExpress version.

--

Instaphrase will be based on our core technology but presented in a new user interface which we had in mind for a long time already. Instaphrase will be for those who like many buttons, ribbons and a colorful user interface.

But you are right, that Ribbons are a love&hate issue. This is why we don't build them into PhraseExpress. Many users tell us not to change the user interface for good reasons.

PhraseExpress aims to have the tidiest and cleanest user interface possible (if in Easy mode  :Thmbsup:) to get the work done. We carefully balance the need of every button and every option before it makes it into the user interface.

So we see little overlap in the userbase.
Michael

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 02:40 PM »
^ Thanks...  after I wrote my query, I began to wonder if you were tailoring InstaPhrase to people who use software, but don't necessarily love software.  Even if the core engine is the same, that seems very sensible.

f0dder

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • [Well, THAT escalated quickly!]
    • View Profile
    • f0dder's place
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 02:56 PM »
We are currently preparing a new Text Expander software with a MS Office like Ribbon user interface:
Ribbons are fine when you've got a gazillion different menu items, especially mode and/or context sensitive ones.

From your screenshot, it looks like you're doing ribbon exclusively for "so ein ding müssen wir auch haben" reasons - a shame, since it's so damn unserious, and one of the reasons a lot of people hate at ribbons in general.
- carpe noctem