topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 12:34 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: priority not always set...  (Read 7138 times)

johnnyzero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
priority not always set...
« on: March 12, 2006, 02:00 PM »
Hi,

I'm using Process Tamer v2.03.01 and it seems to have a problem with setting the priority of a process for which I've set an Explicit Rule (Set High). Sometimes it sets the priority correctly; sometimes it doesn't.

The program in question is "Media Player Classic" - an open-source replacement for Windows Media Player. I'm not using any of the other "auto-tamer" functions in Process Tamer; I just wanna use it to always force this one process, mplayerc.exe, to High priority.

Is it possible that your new v3 will fix this type of "detection" issues?

thanks,
JohnB

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: priority not always set...
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2006, 02:15 PM »
i have a new minor version i've been playing with and i tweaked the process detection for explicit rules a little; it should be up in a week or so - there reallly is no excuse for it missing programs you have explicit rules for so if it continues to have the problem let me know and we'll get it fixed.

johnnyzero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2006, 06:02 PM »
Thanks for the quick reply, Mouser. I'll keep an eye out for the new release & let you know how it works with Media Player Classic.

btw, when Process Tamer does detect the program & forces the priority (about 75% of the time), it works great. I had been having a problem with "skipping" on media file playback if I was trying to do something else simultaneously that was CPU- and/or disk-intensive. Setting the priority to High does the trick.

Thanks again for a great piece of software.

JohnB

johnnyzero

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2006, 09:53 AM »
Hi Mouser,

Yes, ProcessTamer 2.03.01 still occasionally "misses" setting the priority for MediaPlayerClassic to High as per the explicit rule I've set. Any idea when your next minor update will be available?

thanks again,
JohnB