topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:10 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Teflon pressing sheet as mouse pad  (Read 8870 times)

majorspacecase

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Teflon pressing sheet as mouse pad
« on: August 02, 2011, 06:54 PM »
Thought I'd pass this along to anyone wanting a extra large mouse pad cheap.

I had been using a 14" x 10" Razer Goliathus mouse pad with a logitech mx518 mouse.

The width was fine but 10" just wasn't quite tall enough and I found myself sliding off the bottom.

I also have just recently upgraded from a Wacom Graphire 3 small tablet to an Intous 4 small tablet which I have mounted on a custom built fold away stand, which covers the mouse pad when folded down.

Thought about buying a larger gaming pad, but prices are just too expensive and one day while talking with my mother (who's a quilter) she suggested I try one of her teflon pressing sheets.

This thing is 18" x 20" and my mouse just glides along just as smooth as can be, plus when I've got my Intous folded down there's still plenty of room to move my mouse.

Got it mounted to my desk with binder clips (though you could use tape or whatever to lock it down).

You can find these sheets as small as 16" x 16" for under $10 online or check out a local quilt shop.
Who Cares II

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Teflon pressing sheet as mouse pad
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 08:14 PM »
Pretty neat idea.  8)

Hats off to your Mom! :Thmbsup:

And thx for sharing it with us.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 08:28 PM »
I did something similar once, but I used an entire table top ironing board with teflon cover as my keyboard/mouse tray, over an open drawer of a 2-drawer file cabinet.

Pict0001resize.jpg

Was an awesome comfortable padded surface that worked quite well.

hurricane1

• Participant
  • Joined in 2011
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:54 PM »
 I have a wireless mouse and it pretty much works on any surface. I can use my mouse with either hand, and the mouse pad stays on the right, so when I use my left hand it works just fine on the table surface. It is a good idea though, especially since mouse pads are too small.

app103

• That scary taskbar girl
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2011, 11:01 PM »
so when I use my left hand it works just fine on the table surface.

You really shouldn't do that unless you don't mind damaging your table.

The use of a mousepad is not merely to provide a surface suitable for a mouse, but also to prevent damage to your desk. I found this out the hard way. Sitting under my mousepad is a very worn area of my desk, whose finish was ruined by my using the mouse directly on it.  :(

crabby3

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2012
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 11:27 AM »
My mouse pad is a piece of pine with some shelf-liner under it.  Both available at your local home improvement store.
When it gets dirty I just scrape it clean, with a razor blade and my optical-corded mouse stops complaining.   :)

The shelf-liner keeps it from moving around and protects the surface underneath.

primative mouse pad.png

MilesAhead

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 07:25 PM »
Not anything unusual but I got one of these mouse pads for use with my optical USB mouse and my Laptop.  They are cheap and lightweight for adding to the Laptop bag.  Also if you have a FedEx Office Store nearby they will ship it there gratis.

So for like $.75 you can have a lightweight mouse pad delivered.

Cheapie Mouse Pad