topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 12:39 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: Edit Text Anywhere with Your Favorite Editor [Freeware]  (Read 29359 times)

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: Edit Text Anywhere with Your Favorite Editor [Freeware]
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2011, 03:42 PM »
I tend not to use my text editor for most messages that I write with a browser.  Mostly what I write in Firefox are forum posts, responses to blogs, etc.  I don't tend to need macros, etc. for that.  I'm usually content with whatever input mechanism the forum or blog provides, which often includes things I can't do with my favorite text editor, UltraEdit, such as use colors, bold, etc. 
Originally, I think (maybe Channing will correct this) TEA was expected to be used for exactly that.  I use Notetab Pro as my editor, and have macros (what it calls the clipbook) to help posting the code into DC.  I grant I can't see the effect as one could in e.g. BBCEdit, but I know it's there.  When I want to put in a URL, for example, it will pop up a little form asking for the URL itself and then the text, which makes it easy.  I'm sure you could do the same with UltraEdit...

So I guess what I'm saying is that for me, the Lazarus add-on provides the one thing I really need: backup in case my message goes poof.
That's very valuable, but TEA does it as well.  As all its temporary files go into a single directory, I periodically archive them up, though that's probably an excess of zeal.

Text Editor Anywhere - Edit Text Anywhere with Your Favorite Editor
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:47 PM by rjbull, Reason: More useful screenshot »

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2011, 03:57 PM »
I wasn't arguing against TEA, I was merely saying that I didn't feel any need for it, since I was content using the input mechanism available in each forum or blog.  The only thing I need is what Lazarus provides: backup in case of loss.  Since that's the case, I'd rather just use a FF add-on, rather than install yet another program. 

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2011, 04:13 PM »
I wasn't arguing against TEA, I was merely saying that I didn't feel any need for it, since I was content using the input mechanism available in each forum or blog.
I wasn't, so that's the difference  :)

I'd rather just use a FF add-on, rather than install yet another program. 
You might like to know that TEA can be portable, which might occasionally be helpful.

cyberdiva

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2011, 08:31 PM »
You might like to know that TEA can be portable, which might occasionally be helpful.
Yes, that's a good point.  Thanks for pointing it out.

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2011, 03:10 PM »
What keeps me from using a full fledged editor with spell check and yadda yadda is the word wrap.  If I put in carriage returns it's going to be messed up in the board post.  Better to use something designed for forum posting like BBCEditor. It's suprising how few(or maybe I just haven't sampled enough apps) free editors have spell check and easy to enable/disable word wrap, not to mention forum tags.
The underrated Crimson Editor has both spell check and essy word-wrap, plus a column mode, multiple level backup/redo and lots of other features, though not forum tags.  Most people nowadays will go for something else, but someone in the old Yahoo! Group said that he put a copy of Crimson Editor on every client machine so that he would have an at least competent editor any time he came back to use that machine.

There exist other options for free spell checking - e.g. tinySpell or mouser's own Clipboard Help+Spell.

[Edit 2011-08-11, 21:41] Come to think of it, you could put in forum tags with, say, a template as a Permanent Clip in ArsClip, or by using templates in Konrad Papala's Ka Type In, both of them free.  You won't get to see the results without pressing Preview in DC, but you can at least put the tags in conveniently. [/Edit]
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 03:47 PM by rjbull »

TucknDar

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2011, 02:13 AM »
Excellent program! Really helpful. And excuse this rather uninformative post, I just had to try a combination of TEA and BBCeditor :)

David.P

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • Ergonomics Junkie
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2012, 04:55 AM »
Hi forum and Channing,

I'm trying to use shajul's WYSIWYG BBCode Editor together with TEA but for some reason the text is not transferred back to the textarea (e.g. here).

This editor uses a (proprietary?) file format called *.bbs (which is actually html-based).

From the first post I gather that the text should be transferred back to the textarea from the editor also by Alt+Tab, but this also doesn't seem to work.

Any hints greatly welcome,

Cheers David.P

rjbull

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2012, 03:12 PM »
@David.P; Just to check, you are Saving the file first, before Alt-Tabbing back to the Web form?

I should add, TEA fails to transfer text one way or the other for me fairly frequently, but I can't get a handle on it.  If it doesn't transfer text back the the Web form, I often add a space, backspace over it again - so the editor thinks the file's been changed - re-save it, and usually the next Alt-Tab back again transfers the text.

It seems to work better with some forums than others.  DC works well.  Fountain Pen Network, not so well.

cthorpe

• Discount Coordinator
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • c++thorpe
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2012, 03:27 PM »
Looks interesting.  I will have to play with it a bit to see if it is something that I am going to keep around.

Typing this in Boxer, so we'll see what happens when I save.

C

x16wda

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
  • what am I doing in this handbasket?
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2012, 03:37 PM »
Interesting - TEA is similar to Dolphin Text Editor Menu (which I like a lot) but a slightly different take on the idea.  I upgraded to Listary Pro  :Thmbsup: the same day I tried it out, but didn't check out the rest of the web site.
vi vi vi - editor of the beast