topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 3:08 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2012 Release: Got Space?  (Read 119093 times)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Pledge & Early Beta: Got Space?
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2011, 06:48 PM »
Cool! Thanks for chiming in ... Now we just gotta get cranioscopical sorted out. :)

Hold on, I just found a different application with missing context menus.

hehe ...Now that a special brand of weird. Menu eating gremlins ... eek!

GotSpace is working perfectly.

GS 'safely removed' my thumb drive and also ejected discs from the optical drives.

Excellent! Now I just need to figure out how to handle the External USB drives that want to show up as local. I'm guessing that ejecting an actual internal local drive would be (Um...) bad... Should also be impossible, but bet taking I am not.

I had to use system restore to get back my context menu on GS and some other applications (though it was working perfectly well in most). My apologies if you wasted time on this SJ!

That really is quite curious behavior. Glad you got it nailed down. Was no trouble at all on my end. :)

Now for the flakey intermittent stuff... *Sigh* I just wasted the better part of two weeks tracking down a brand new crashing Dell on a bug like that. Turned out to be a (banking security) browser plug-in that uses a slew of kernel hooks to "defend" the system ... Apparently it defends the system from the user by making the machine unusable given its ill behavior (Gotta love security theater).

Let me know what you think on the local USB drive thing (needed or ignorable).

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #76 on: September 23, 2011, 11:02 PM »
-Stoic Joker

It would be useful if all of these items could be gathered in one application.  Nothing should impede overall progress, though. Why not set it aside for later?

W7 gives some very quirky-seeming (to me) connections when it shows 'safely remove'. I'm left wondering, almost, if I'm about to eject my boot drive  ;D

Then there are the WD SCSI drives that are actually SATA (speaking of which, when searching for something else yesterday, I pulled out a bunch of old SCSI drives, including a Plextor CD drive.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #77 on: September 24, 2011, 09:40 AM »
-Stoic Joker

It would be useful if all of these items could be gathered in one application.  Nothing should impede overall progress, though. Why not set it aside for later?

It's a thought, but I'm sort of in-the-thick-of-it now. So it's probably best to push on through as it's not going to get any clearer if I wait.

Last night I got the SUBSTitute drive creation function working. So now there is an option to create SUBST drives with a built in GUI. The delete SUBST drive context menu option will be next, but that'll have to wait for a bit as I'm working on the humane society's web site today.

W7 gives some very quirky-seeming (to me) connections when it shows 'safely remove'. I'm left wondering, almost, if I'm about to eject my boot drive  ;D

Yes that would be the part I was worried about. While I know that the boot drive cannot actually be ejected ... I'm just not 100% warm-&-Fuzzy about the other drives that appear that way.

Then there are the WD SCSI drives that are actually SATA (speaking of which, when searching for something else yesterday, I pulled out a bunch of old SCSI drives, including a Plextor CD drive.

Any device specific behavioral quirks you can let me know about are greatly appreciated.

I had actually been toying with adding a hotkey option (something like Shift + Right Click) that would add all drive/device options to the context menu at once to allow coverage for those pesky chimera drives.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #78 on: September 24, 2011, 09:55 AM »
While I know that the boot drive cannot actually be ejected ...
You, sir, obviously have never seen me at work  ;D or do I mean  :-[

Personally, I'm glad that you're forging ahead with the external USB items. Here, those drives need the most attention, simply because they are swapped around so much.  :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2011, 06:32 PM »
While I had initially been a bit worried about how GS would behave during a disk burn, it has proven to be just fine. I've burned several CD & DVD over the past few days with GS running and updating every 3 seconds...And neither it nor the disks are any worse for wear (no lockups, hangs, or coasters).

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #80 on: October 23, 2011, 10:47 AM »
Any chance you could add a "Do not show Drive X" feature? (It may have already been asked, but I dont got the time to read through 4 pages of posts  :D

The reason behind this, is I have a few small partitions I use for backups and such, that I couldnt really care about their capacity or free space, so would like to remove them from the totals :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #81 on: October 23, 2011, 11:58 AM »
Any chance you could add a "Do not show Drive X" feature? (It may have already been asked, but I dont got the time to read through 4 pages of posts  :D

That is already on the projects to-do list, but time is starting to get away from me. I may need to take a real hard look at the planned features list if I'm going to make the completion deadline. That one should be simple enough ... but there are a few others that have/are turning into time vampires.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #82 on: October 23, 2011, 06:53 PM »
Okay regarding above request:

(Brace for incredibly stupid question) Does Windows identify drives as A - Z, in all languages??

I ask because I was going to try sanitizing the input string and it occurred to me that I'm not entirely sure what I should be checking for on say a Chinese machine. Being that I think they have more that 26 letters ... Which 26 do I pick??

...Or have I gone completely daft and started totally over-thinking this thing.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #83 on: October 23, 2011, 09:38 PM »
Okay regarding above request:

(Brace for incredibly stupid question) Does Windows identify drives as A - Z, in all languages??

I ask because I was going to try sanitizing the input string and it occurred to me that I'm not entirely sure what I should be checking for on say a Chinese machine. Being that I think they have more that 26 letters ... Which 26 do I pick??

...Or have I gone completely daft and started totally over-thinking this thing.

Now you have me wondering. - I have never tried mapping a drive outside the base English install, but could always check in Greek.

Just tried in Greek, drives dissapeared.  Seems to be Western Characters only o_0

http://en.wikipedia....ve_letter_assignment

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #84 on: October 24, 2011, 06:45 AM »
Just tried in Greek, drives dissapeared.  Seems to be Western Characters only o_0

Can you give me a bit more detail as to what (exactly) was done, and what happened/failed next?

I may not be able to fix this without recompiling localized versions for multiple languages (which is hardly ideal).

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #85 on: October 24, 2011, 06:51 AM »
On a brighter note, I've got the dynamic sizing (height only) feature working. So there will be an option to have GS automatically set its own window height - on the fly - based on the number of drives detected/displayed to eliminate the need for scrolling.

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2011, 08:18 AM »

Can you give me a bit more detail as to what (exactly) was done, and what happened/failed next?

I may not be able to fix this without recompiling localized versions for multiple languages (which is hardly ideal).

oh, sorry, i should have specified, i didnt try re-mapping using ur tool, i tried using windows default thingy for remapping drive letters.  I tried Sigma and Beta and then got scared cause both drives became unavailable, so didnt wanna try anymore haha

I was answering your question on whether you could re-map to more than 26 characters.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #87 on: October 24, 2011, 11:30 AM »
I've got the dynamic sizing (height only) feature working
Surprising just how much tweaks like that improve the experience  :up: :up: :up:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #88 on: October 24, 2011, 11:58 AM »

oh, sorry, i should have specified, i didnt try re-mapping using ur tool, i tried using windows default thingy for remapping drive letters.  I tried Sigma and Beta and then got scared cause both drives became unavailable, so didnt wanna try anymore haha

I was answering your question on whether you could re-map to more than 26 characters.

Ah! Okay, so I'm presumably safe-ish proceeding with testing for a specific set of ASCII values.

But I gotta ask, how did you get Sigma & Beta to show-up in the Map Drive drop-down list? Or was this a CLI mapping?

I've got the dynamic sizing (height only) feature working
Surprising just how much tweaks like that improve the experience  :up: :up: :up:
-cranioscopical (October 24, 2011, 11:30 AM)

Thanks, glad you like the idea...I just hate scrolling so figured this might be a fun compromise.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2011, 03:24 PM »
Okay folks, you asked for it... Build 25 now available! :D

Whatz New:
Window height will now autosize itself to allow display of all drives without the need for scrolling (this behavior can be disabled in settings). When you add a drive, it gets bigger! Remove one and it'll shrink.

Drives can now be hidded by drive letter(s) ... Just enter a string of what you want to hide, and they disappear!

If you can't get the option you want/need on the context menu for drive X, just hold the Shift key while right clicking and all options will be added to the menu.

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #90 on: October 31, 2011, 07:37 AM »
Man, you've got this program rocking!  I appreciate all the hard development work, SJ!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #91 on: October 31, 2011, 08:41 AM »
Build 25 now available!
Thanks for including the version number in the name of the download, that's convenient!

bob99

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2008
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #92 on: October 31, 2011, 09:31 AM »
Just tried and it's a lot easier to click once for the info than multiples.
I'm using XYPlorer and have it set as my default file manager.  When I select explore in Got Space the Windows Explorer manager comes up.  Is there a way to bring up XYP instead? Unless I missed it, didn't see where use of an alternate file manager has been brought up before.

Thanks,

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2011, 10:35 AM »
Okay folks, you asked for it... Build 25 now available! :D

Whatz New:
Window height will now autosize itself to allow display of all drives without the need for scrolling (this behavior can be disabled in settings). When you add a drive, it gets bigger! Remove one and it'll shrink.

Drives can now be hidded by drive letter(s) ... Just enter a string of what you want to hide, and they disappear!

If you can't get the option you want/need on the context menu for drive X, just hold the Shift key while right clicking and all options will be added to the menu.

It...Is...Awesome! - Its now pinned to my taskbar so I dont need to find my calculator each time i need to check disk space :D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2011, 07:02 AM »
Is there a way to bring up XYP instead? Unless I missed it, didn't see where use of an alternate file manager has been brought up before.

At the moment no, but I'll look into it. I assume... You're volunteering to beta test what I come up with, yes? :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 07:08 AM by Stoic Joker »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #95 on: November 01, 2011, 05:02 PM »
Oh... Shit! Somebody wasn't paying attention...
Oh-Shit.jpg

^From my Office Workstation - Eek!

:huh:

...Guess it only works if you remember to look at it.   :-[

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #96 on: November 08, 2011, 06:15 PM »
Okay, for those quick enough to notice...

GotSpace.jpg

No the screen shot doesn't match the 10% threshold, because I compiled it at 30% just so something would be red in the screen shot. The download is compiled with a (hardcoded) 10% threshold  ... Which I will probably make adjustable later on.

For the default double click action which opened the drive in explorer (I forget who asked for this but...), I changed the verb from explore to open. Hopefully this will allow it to launch an alternate file browser for those that have their default changed. <- Let me know if that plan worked)

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #97 on: November 08, 2011, 06:22 PM »
Lookin' goooood!

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #98 on: November 09, 2011, 06:48 PM »
For the default double click action which opened the drive in explorer (I forget who asked for this but...)
Probably, that was I. It works for me with DOpus. It has done so ever since since the option went in.  :Thmbsup:

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #99 on: November 10, 2011, 06:31 AM »
For the default double click action which opened the drive in explorer (I forget who asked for this but...)
Probably, that was I. It works for me with DOpus. It has done so ever since since the option went in.  :Thmbsup:
-cranioscopical (November 09, 2011, 06:48 PM)

Hm... That's interesting. But Bob (below) was the one I was thinking of at the time (I just didn't take the time then to scroll up and find it). If other applications aren't behaving consistantly the issue may not be with GS.

Just tried and it's a lot easier to click once for the info than multiples.
I'm using XYPlorer and have it set as my default file manager.  When I select explore in Got Space the Windows Explorer manager comes up.  Is there a way to bring up XYP instead? Unless I missed it, didn't see where use of an alternate file manager has been brought up before.

Thanks,

Is it behaving for you now, or is it still opening Windows Explorer?