topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:48 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Last post Author Topic: NANY 2012 Release: Got Space?  (Read 119116 times)

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
  • The Gent with the White Hat
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012: Got Space? Disk Utility.
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2011, 07:23 AM »
FAT32, 500gb. It's the only partition on the device to my knowledge.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2011, 11:52 AM »
Here's a SS of my ThumbDrive's properties dialog overlayed with GotSpace. The ThumbDrive is subjected to the same code level tests that the Lacie is so they should be getting treated the same.

GS2012.jpg

Can you send me something like that of the Lacie?

Thank you.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2011, 12:03 PM »
Here you go. Good luck! :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 12:14 PM »
o_O That's weird... If the Lacie is an external USB drive, why is it getting classified as a Local Disk??

[Have possible sketchy idea]

What is the model number on the Lacie? And is there anything special about its configuration?

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 12:23 PM »
Throwing HDTune at it I got...

Firmware version: CR100-10
Serial number: S0MUJ13P*******  (stars are all numbers, I doubt you need that part.)

I hope that's what you needed?

Edit: And no, nothing special. Simply direct USB, no extension cords or whatever else.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:26 PM by worstje »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #30 on: July 22, 2011, 03:56 PM »
If the Lacie is an external USB drive, why is it getting classified as a Local Disk??

I just turned on an external WD USB (NTFS) drive, listed in properties as a USB device, which turned up in GS as local. Same thing with a WD MyBook (NTFS).
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 03:57 PM by cranioscopical, Reason: Post first, proof later »

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 04:01 PM »
What'll happen with Firewire?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 04:04 PM »
If the Lacie is an external USB drive, why is it getting classified as a Local Disk??

I just turned on an external WD USB (NTFS) drive, listed in properties as a USB device, which turned up in GS as local. Same thing with a WD MyBook (NTFS).
-cranioscopical (July 22, 2011, 03:56 PM)

Okay, so it was identified as local and not SUBST then yes?

I'm trying to gauge the scope of the issue.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 04:05 PM »

I've got a WD MyBook too, I forgot to mention. It is drive F in the screenshot I provided, and you'll see that one behaves just fine. (Which hopefully helps in ruling out that it isn't some weird fluke specific to my computer.) :)

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 04:53 PM »

Okay, so it was identified as local and not SUBST then yes?

I'm trying to gauge the scope of the issue.

Yes, they both turned up as local, not SUBST.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 05:08 PM »
Yes, they both turned up as local, not SUBST.
-cranioscopical (July 22, 2011, 04:53 PM)

Hm... Okay. I guess I'll be needing a large FAT drive to test with then. I got a funny feeling that may make a difference.

Thanks guys.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2011, 08:57 PM »
Okay, thank you to cranioscopical for supplying the info I needed to confirm that this was a indeed FAT related issue.

The SUBSTitute FAT Bugg, is now dead.

Initially I had used the file attributes to look for something that reported itself as only a directory:
Code: C++ [Select]
  1. dwAttrib = GetFileAttributes(szDrive); // SUBSTitute Drive Bugg
  2.                   if(dwAttrib == FILE_ATTRIBUTE_DIRECTORY) { //-{found by}-+> Ath
  3.                           StringCbPrintf(szType, TNY_BUFF, TEXT("SUBST"));
  4.                           bCountSpace = FALSE;
  5.                   }else{
  6.                           StringCbPrintf(szType, TNY_BUFF, TEXT("Local"));
  7.                           bCountSpace = TRUE;
  8.                   }

Which is fine for NTFS, but FAT calls (damn near) everything a directory ... So pop went the weasel.

So I did some digging. And some more. and some more...

And finally found this little jewel:
Code: C++ [Select]
  1. //--+++--> Fix for SUBSTitute Drive Bugg Found by: Ath
  2.           // Solution to the SUBSTitute FAT Bugg -> Found by: worstje
  3.           GetVolumePathName(pszDrive, szType, TNY_BUFF);
  4.           if(_tcscmp(pszDrive, szType)) { //-+> (requested by) worstje
  5.                   StringCbCopy(szType, TNY_BUFF, TEXT("SUBST"));
  6.                   StringCbCopy(szTotal, TNY_BUFF, TEXT("-"));
  7.                   StringCbCopy(szUsed,  TNY_BUFF, TEXT("-"));
  8.                   StringCbCopy(szFree,  TNY_BUFF, TEXT("-"));
  9.                   StringCbCopy(szOdds,  TNY_BUFF, TEXT("N/A"));
  10.                   bCountSpace = FALSE;
  11.           }else{
  12.                   Get_DriveType(pszDrive, szType);
  13.           }
  14.           if(bCountSpace) {
  15.                   GetDriveSpace(pszDrive, szTotal, szUsed, szFree, szOdds);
  16.           }

SUBSTitute Drives, do not have a Volume Path Name ... But everything else does. Yahoo!

Another handy side effect, is that in moving the check to a higher level in the code it allows SUBST'ed drives to be handled in a more acurate & efficient manner. So if someone decides to SUBST a target on a floppy, CD, network drive, or anything else. It can be quickly identified and accordingly skipped.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2011, 09:03 PM »
Maybe the '% Free' column could have a visual indication of the amount of free space? Like fill that percentage of the background of the cell with a different color, a bit like in TreeSize.

Sorry man, wasn't ignoring you...Just got caught up in the goings on. I'll have to dig around a bit and see if I can figure out how to do that. But if it's reasonably lightweight, a dash of color might be good.

cranioscopical

• Friend of the Site
  • Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2011, 09:33 PM »
this was a indeed FAT related issue

:up: So now it's lean and mean!

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2011, 01:45 PM »
Great work, SJ!

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2011, 04:16 PM »
It seems to work correctly now. Great job! :)

Something I'd like to see (although it might need a reworking of your current logic stuffs...) is quicker start times. Or to be more precise, faster discovery. Maybe it is just odd on my computer and nobody elses, but starting the application takes 5 seconds before the window appears. Refreshing the view locks the application up for 5 seconds. I suspect the reason is two-fold: I have a lot of devices, and you test them all one by one. My guess is that if you did each drives discovery in a seperate thread, it would take less than a second. (Of course, once you get 26 drives in your machine, it might seem a bit taxing in the threads department for a second, but given that it is pretty much all I/O blocking there ought to be no problems with a mere 26 threads.)

The reason why I'd like this is because I think this app really has a lot of potential. I have a habit of running out of diskspace on some drive or another, and the explorer Computer window is annoying with all of its disks that don't matter to me in that situation. Additionally, assuming you don't have plans already, I'd suggest doubleclick opening the drive in question and the rightclick on an item translating to a rightclick in Explorer. (The right-click stuff I can help you with; I've got experience with those APIs from my Cautomaton entry last year.) Oh, and how about a volume names column? :D

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2011, 11:15 AM »
Something I'd like to see (although it might need a reworking of your current logic stuffs...) is quicker start times. Or to be more precise, faster discovery. Maybe it is just odd on my computer and nobody elses, but starting the application takes 5 seconds before the window appears. Refreshing the view locks the application up for 5 seconds. I suspect the reason is two-fold: I have a lot of devices, and you test them all one by one. My guess is that if you did each drives discovery in a separate thread, it would take less than a second. (Of course, once you get 26 drives in your machine, it might seem a bit taxing in the threads department for a second, but given that it is pretty much all I/O blocking there ought to be no problems with a mere 26 threads.)

5 seconds? Wow! (that sucks) But I think I might know why (and it's something I'm already working). Initially I just listed all the drives as a starting point because it makes it easier to find out if any of them have any bad habits. Like the Floppy drives (of which you have 2), that have several ... Which are unavoidable.

The floppy on my machine at the office grunts every 3 seconds (when it's empty), for about a second, which effectively makes the refresh cycle 4 seconds. Even when it isn't empty there seems to be a bit of a lag while it's being addressed before the rest can get their turn (most of which are quite fast). The optical drives while lightning fast compared to the floppys, really aren't part of the space we need to keep track of. That and I'm pretty sure that tagging it every X seconds would screwup a burn.

So I'm making the drives that are displayed and totaled selectable, and optical & floppy drives will be deselected by default. Also optical, floppy, and network drives will be removed from the local machine drive space totals by default. Which should make the load times much faster without adversely effecting the over all functionality (i think).

Mind you I'm not adverse to the multi-thread option, I just want to try this first.

The reason why I'd like this is because I think this app really has a lot of potential. I have a habit of running out of diskspace on some drive or another, and the explorer Computer window is annoying with all of its disks that don't matter to me in that situation.

I think that fits well with the above plan, yes?

Additionally, assuming you don't have plans already, I'd suggest double-click opening the drive in question and the rightclick on an item translating to a rightclick in Explorer. (The right-click stuff I can help you with; I've got experience with those APIs from my Cautomaton entry last year.) Oh, and how about a volume names column? :D

Volume Names? I thought we were trying to make this faster?? (hehe - jk) I've actually been thinking about this, but was more aimed toward making it part of a more in-depth drive properties/details dialog when a drive was double clicked.

Translating the Explorer rightclicks & opening drive file views is a little outside the intended scope of the project. That is more in the loader/launcher territory. But I haven't even started on that part of the code yet so nothing is carved in stone at this pont.

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #42 on: July 24, 2011, 03:11 PM »

Sure!

Volume Names? I thought we were trying to make this faster?? (hehe - jk) I've actually been thinking about this, but was more aimed toward making it part of a more in-depth drive properties/details dialog when a drive was double clicked.

Translating the Explorer rightclicks & opening drive file views is a little outside the intended scope of the project. That is more in the loader/launcher territory. But I haven't even started on that part of the code yet so nothing is carved in stone at this pont.

Fair enough. My point is mostly that right now, it is just a list of text that I can only look at. (Which is somewhat disappointing after those 5s refresh times!) When I see drives, about half the time I'll also want to interact with them. So in my eyes, it is very much in the scope of what one might expect. :) Either way, if you decide and if you need help with either part I practically have the code for it lying around.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012: Pledge Got Space? Early Bata
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2011, 05:31 PM »
Sure!

Okay, Working Settings now available. Save to Registry isn't done yet, but save to memory (use in current session) & save to GotSpace.ini are fully functional.

Fair enough. My point is mostly that right now, it is just a list of text that I can only look at. (Which is somewhat disappointing after those 5s refresh times!) When I see drives, about half the time I'll also want to interact with them. So in my eyes, it is very much in the scope of what one might expect. :) Either way, if you decide and if you need help with either part I practically have the code for it lying around.

5 Second refresh times are gone. Removing the Floppy drives from the default start options did indeed make a dramatic difference in startup/refresh times.

Once I get the (save to) registry code finished I'll start on the context menu stuff (which I'm still mulling over).

worstje

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2009
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012: Pledge Got Space? Early Bata
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2011, 05:49 PM »
Nice job. I'll try it out tomorrow.

Btw, you renamed the topic, and you introduced a typo. Bata makes me think of a lot of things, but not software. :)

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012: Pledge Got Space? Early Beta
« Reply #45 on: July 25, 2011, 08:30 PM »
Btw, you renamed the topic, and you introduced a typo. Bata makes me think of a lot of things, but not software. :)

So that's what spellcheck was bitching about...  :-[

Fixed, thanks.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: NANY 2012 Pledge & Early Beta: Got Space?
« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2011, 07:20 PM »
Just posted build 14 with finished registry code, more settings, hotkeys, and a status bar.

I've been fighting with the progress bars idea, but so far it's winning. I either have the old style PBs that jump around when the ListView is scrolled ... Or I have to leverage the uxtheme.dll style PBs which ties me to that and may not work if the OS is skinned. I ain't given up yet, but I've got to go on to other things for a bit in the hopes of having this thing done in time for Christmas...  :D

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2011, 12:15 PM »
Very nice, SJ!!  :up:

kyrathaba

• N.A.N.Y. Organizer
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2011, 09:04 AM »
This program is working great on my PC.  Detects my 2.3 Tb of storage with precision.  Correctly identifies local drive versus removables!

gotspace.png

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2011, 01:32 PM »
Cool, thanks for the input. I'm guessing from your SS that F - I are some type of card reader, yes? Is there any lag from reading it/them (like the floppies), or does it just zip through? (I gotta ask as I've no way to test it)

I've been thinking about having the height be dynamically set at runtime based on the number on drives installed on the system. (Given your extensive list...) Do you think this would be handy? Or just confusing/annoying/silly?