topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday March 28, 2024, 7:16 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: FaRR running slowly?  (Read 6736 times)

gaikokujinkyofusho

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
FaRR running slowly?
« on: March 08, 2006, 02:48 PM »
Hi, i am *loving* FaRR (and trying to figure out aliases etc, save that for another post) but it *seems* to be running slowly on my computer (mobile P4 2.6 +512mem, not a speed demon but not a slug either). I get as much as a 2 second delay from the time i press the trigger key and when it shows up, thats slow right? I am using the itunes/mac skin and the "use helper tray" is disabled. I can speed it up by opening the windows task manager and setting the FaRR process to real-time priority but i shouldn't have to do that right? Is there anything else i can do to speed it up? (if not, do you happen to know how to permanently set a app to run with a higher process priority?)

Cheers

-Gaiko

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: FaRR running slowly?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2006, 05:42 PM »
Hi gaikokujinkyofusho!
Although i don't know the solution nor the cause, i know that's a problem. I've tried farr in an exact similar confguration (a toshiba P4m, 2.6, 512mem) and had nothing like that to report, it handled the same way it does in my own PM centrino 2.0.

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2006, 06:25 PM »
it does seem that the latest v1.09 freezes for a couple of seconds while searching on several quick keypresses once it is focussed for me.

what happens if you turn the history display and skin off?
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2006, 06:37 PM »
the freeze for a couple of seconds thing may be a bug regarding searching networked files..
do you guys with the slowdown have a lan?

if you go into search directories and Uncheck the "Recent Documents" directory, does it solve the problem?

jgpaiva

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2006, 06:42 PM »
I think you've misunderstood the first post.
gaikokujinkyofusho mentioned a delay between the time he presses the trigger key and the time farr comes up.
I don't think it has to do with a slow down while searching.

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2006, 06:47 PM »
ohhhh...

one quick clarification - does this delay only happen the first time you bring up farr after a long time of non-use? or if you bring it up and close it 10 times right after one another is it still slow.

if it's only the first time, then this kind of falls into the "it's a feature not a bug" thing, but i've been meaning to make it an option.
after farr is minimized for a long time it gives up its memory to windows so that it uses almost no real memory.  as a result it can be a bit slow to come back to life after it's been minimized for a long time.
i can add an option to not give up memory so easily.

if it's always slow to come up then it is probably the networked recent files thing.

gaikokujinkyofusho

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
  • default avatar
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2006, 07:59 AM »
ah ha! i never thought about if it was just the first time (after a bit of disuse). So apparently this is the feature mouser was talking about. I am *all* for saving memory, but not in something as often used as FaRR, so yeah an option to turn the memory saving on/off would be great! Thanks to all for the help!

cheers

-Gaiko

nontroppo

• Charter Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
  • spinning top
    • View Profile
    • nontroppo.org
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2006, 08:22 AM »
the freeze for a couple of seconds thing may be a bug regarding searching networked files..
do you guys with the slowdown have a lan?

ah, it seems my freezes are indeed due to this, however my previous install didn't do this so obviously, weird...

and +1 for an option to keep FARR in memory more aggresively, a turbo mode! - it uses so little of it anyway...
FARR Wishes: Performance TweaksTask ControlAdaptive History
[url=http://opera.com/]