topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 10:40 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Repeat Region Capture and Numbering Files for Animation/Sequencing  (Read 6832 times)

KynloStephen66515

• Animated Giffer in Chief
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Hey guys,

Recently I found myself in a bit of a dilema.  I was creating animations by modifying static images one layer at a time...now, to do this, I was using the only software I had to hand, which was Photoshop CS3.

Now, if you have ever used Photoshop, you will know that every single time you save an image, it trys to save as .psd, which isn't helpful if you want to create a load of PNG files.  Now...I know changing a file type and selecting if you want the image interlaced or not isn't that hard...but imagine having to do that a minimum of 600 times to create 1 short animated gif file.

Frustration and headache caused me to bang my head on my desk a whole bunch of times until it came to me..."omg, I could use SSC for this"

So, at that moment, I downloaded SSC, installed it and set to work.

My first 2 attempts at using SSC for this where complete failures, even after setting '#' as my quick snapshop key.  That was because I needed SSC to remember the region i had selected in the photoshop window.

After getting SSC to remember my region size ("Preferences>Saving and Loading Files> On Image File Load>Reselect Actie Region"), and setting up my hotkey, and setting it to stay minimized after capture, I thought I was away...so I had a quick look at the settings to try and get SSC to save my files in number order (If you have ever created a LOT of images to peice together as a gif file, you will know that having them numbered 1,2,3,4,5 etc... if much easier than long file names)...DAMN...no default option available in SSC to do such a thing...plenty of other options, but not that one...so I proceeded to bang my head on the desk again.  Then I made contact with mouser via IRC, he informed me that SSC could not do this by default, but there WAS something that it did, that could make this option possible!

To do that, all i needed to do was go to Preferences>File Naming Template and type '%num%' into the Default New File Name area!

So now...instead of spending 30 seconds saving each file and naming them, and making you get RSI a whole lot faster because your having to do more work than required, SSC will do all that for you with ONE button...My button of choice was '#', PURELY because I was moving items within photoshop 1 pixel per time using the Arrow Keys, and # is close enough to them to make life very very easy!

Now I save around 45 minutes, 4 pain relief tablets, and a sore head per project if im doing 750-1000 statics!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2011, 08:07 PM by Stephen66515 »

mouser

• First Author
  • Administrator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Mouser's Software Zone on DonationCoder.com
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
After getting SSC to remember my region size ("Preferences>Saving and Loading Files> On Image File Load>Reselect Active Region")

Actually that's something different -- I think what you probably did was perform first a "Grab selection region" capture and then after that perform the "Grab repeat last size+pos" capture, both of which can have custom hotkeys assigned or be triggered from menu.

Also note that the new Screenshot Captor has a menu for reselected the last selected region from within the main interface, which is different but similar and may be useful to people when you have already captured a bunch of larger images (wheras the "Grab repeat last size+pos" option is more useful for repeatedly capturing a small area of the screen).

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
After getting SSC to remember my region size ("Preferences>Saving and Loading Files> On Image File Load>Reselect Active Region")

Actually that's something different -- I think what you probably did was perform first a "Grab selection region" capture and then after that perform the "Grab repeat last size+pos" capture, both of which can have custom hotkeys assigned or be triggered from menu.

Also note that the new Screenshot Captor has a menu for reselected the last selected region from within the main interface, which is different but similar and may be useful to people when you have already captured a bunch of larger images (wheras the "Grab repeat last size+pos" option is more useful for repeatedly capturing a small area of the screen).

Yeah your right...sorry lol, I went back to look at the menu and thats what looked right haha

Gotta say though, SC's newer features really make what im doing sooo much easier.

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
@Stephen66515: nice to see that SC is doing the heavy lifting for you.. :up:

btw, some images of the options dialog would be a very handy pictorial clue for anyone who may need this feature in the future.

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
using the Arrow Keys, and # is close enough to them to make life very very easy!
-Stephen66515 (June 12, 2011, 07:07 PM)
What kind of keyboard-layout do you use that has # near the arrow keys? (not an expert on keyboard layouts but on my 'standard' US layout, # is more than 3/4 keyboard size away from the arrow keys :-\)

lanux128

• Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What kind of keyboard-layout do you use that has # near the arrow keys?

this one comes to mind.. :)

KynloStephen66515

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2010
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
What kind of keyboard-layout do you use that has # near the arrow keys?

this one comes to mind.. :)

yup yup, thats the one, then to the right of the hash key are 4 arrow keys...above them are the  'Insert/Delete/Home/End/PgUp/PgDn' then my NumPad =]

Ath

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
yup yup, thats the one,
-Stephen66515 (June 13, 2011, 09:06 AM)
Ok thanks, I was just being curious :-[