topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Thursday April 18, 2024, 12:33 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: Batteries charged?...Away we go!!!  (Read 3883 times)

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Batteries charged?...Away we go!!!
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:03 PM »
This post is for the mechanically inclined:

Here is a link to a battery charged vehicle.
And these particular batteries you can buy already in the (better) hardware store, which do not require much in recharging time and and are switched within seconds!  :Thmbsup:

Deozaan

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Read more about this member.
    • Donate to Member
Re: Batteries charged?...Away we go!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:08 PM »
Things like that sure look neato but my neck would be killing me after a few minutes on that thing. I got whiplash a number of years back and my neck hasn't been the same since.

mwb1100

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 08:54 PM »
That looks pretty neat (not that I'd ever be able to ride it).  I'm actually more impressed with that clever looking 3-stage hinge they have connecting the front part of the frame to the rear wheel.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 09:50 AM »
Low profile/visibility and a top speed of 18.6 MPH ... Sounds like suicide to me. Besides in that position (speaking of suicidal behavior) texting while driving is near impossible, so it'll never catch on.

Other than that it's a rather clever idea.

40hz

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 08:35 PM »
Cool concept, but impractical for anything other than a proof-of-concept exercise.

And a big +1 w/Deo on the issue of old whiplash injuries and that forward lie-down position. Like him, I had a whiplash injury. (Car accident: my Toyota Celica got rear-ended by a pickup truck while I was stopped at a red light.) And also like Deozaan, my neck has never been completely right after that. I'd last about 15 minutes in that position before I either passed out from the pain, or cramped up so bad I couldn't steer.

Plus I'd hate to be traveling behind anything with a bumper at my approximate chin height while on something like that.

It's one thing to "lose your head" while driving. But quite another to lose your head while driving. ;D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 08:37 PM by 40hz »

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2011, 11:08 AM »
@40hz:
Then we have something in common, regarding to the accident I mean. In my situation replace the pickup truck for a truck that was carrying 30.000 liters of milk. Luckily seconds before impact I saw the accident coming so I lay my head and as much of my body against the steering wheel for damage control. My neck did not get a "full" whiplash, but was also not the same after-wards.
But hey, when my neck gets warm I don't have any troubles falling asleep.

Ok, on-topic again:
I wonder how far you could get on a battery charge. As the construction does not have (too) much weight to push around, my guesstimate would be 2 or 3 miles?

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 12:00 PM »
Ok, on-topic again:
I wonder how far you could get on a battery charge. As the construction does not have (too) much weight to push around, my guesstimate would be 2 or 3 miles?

I'd think much higher than that. The devices are all (geared for) torque to start with (hence the low top speed). So dragging some guy along as apposed to a screw. *Shrug* 5 -10 miles if it's fairly flat.