topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Friday March 29, 2024, 5:14 am
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: IdleMute - Suggestions and Problems  (Read 10804 times)

Renae

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • ElectroCity.ca
    • Donate to Member
IdleMute - Suggestions and Problems
« on: March 05, 2006, 02:12 PM »
- Suggestions
I would appreciate an option to not auto-unmute. On mute I have the application open the volume control so I know that the system is muted and I can make a choice of whether it is appropriate to unmute when I come back to my computer and see it.

Another useful option would be to mute on sleep or when resuming from sleep. I often resume from sleep in a different environment such as a meeting and when I do the system makes noises associated with sleep and logging back on to my system which can be embarrasing. :P

- Problems
When I set the application to run SndVol32.exe on mute and went away from my tablet to meet with someone I came back and it had launched about 20 instances of the volume control and started generating errors because it couldn't launch SndVol32.exe anymore. I believe I had the time set to a short interval as I was testing the application before i went into the impromptu meeting. If you need any details fro my computer let me know. If this is intended, an option to not run the specified application if the system is already muted would be appreciated.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: IdleMute - Suggestions and Problems
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2006, 03:03 AM »
- Problems
When I set the application to run SndVol32.exe on mute and went away from my tablet to meet with someone I came back and it had launched about 20 instances of the volume control and started generating errors because it couldn't launch SndVol32.exe anymore. I believe I had the time set to a short interval as I was testing the application before i went into the impromptu meeting. If you need any details fro my computer let me know. If this is intended, an option to not run the specified application if the system is already muted would be appreciated.
Hi Renae, welcome to the forums!

Why do you let it run SndVol32.exe at all? When you are using Winamp you've got many other options, see page 2 in this IdleMute discussion: https://www.donation...dex.php?topic=1580.0

Renae

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • ElectroCity.ca
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2006, 02:18 PM »
As I mentioned previously, my screen real estate is at a premium because I am forced to 1024x768. As such I hide all icons that are not crucial. I run SndVol32.exe so when I come back to my system there is a window on top that clearly identifies that the system is muted. If I am running Winamp it won't mute as I added that application to the watch list for IdleMute but when it's not running I wouldn't realize the sound is off right away as the IdleMute and other icons are hidden. I have created an extensive lists of verbal sounds tied to various applications so I know if something requires my attention (Incoming email with unique sounds for various types of email, IM sounds, etcetera) and I frequently forget my system is muted from some meeting so I don't get the verbal messages and miss things. :(

Running SndVol32.exe also serves double duty in that if I need to adjust the volume it is a clear indication of the current volume. This in conjunction with not auto un-muting the computer let's me have total control of the volume. Especially in those embarrassing situations where my computer decides to tell everyone I just got a work email.

brotherS

• Master of Good Ideas
  • Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2006, 03:05 PM »
;D You sound like in desperate need for a simple AHK solution for that "I don't realize if it's muted or not" problem. :)

I never fiddle with SndVol32.exe at all, my system volume is always at max, I only adjust the volume of Winamp and Zoom Player (video player) with hotkeys.

Maybe some AHK script to adjust the system volume plus some kind of indicator would do the trick for you? If so, post it in https://www.donation...index.php?board=71.0

Renae

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • ElectroCity.ca
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2006, 05:10 PM »
I have a tablet PC and I use it practically everywhere I go. I need to adjust the main volume based on the environment I am in. At work it is generally 50% and plugged through the line-in to my desktop. At home when I am awake I use it on the coffee table (or holding it) and sometimes adjust the volume up or down depending on the situation (watching TV, showing video, etcetera). Also, I listen to an ambient playlist when myself and the GF are sleeping so I need to fine tune it really low. Having the volume control come up when my computer is idle and muted (except when running apps in the 'do not mute' list) it is a bonus to have the ability to see what my volume is at since I change it so often. Saves me opening it up. :) One thing most might not have is custom sounds tied to Windows events. It's because of this that I have very specific settings in SndVol32.

Perhaps you are right in that there needs to be a volume preset application made, all the better if this could be combined into a single 'audio control' application. It would be useful in half the situations. However, I would still want to know the current volume setting when I come back to my computer.

Renae

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • ElectroCity.ca
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 08:43 PM »
I left it running again and had the same problem. I was woken up by my computer telling me about the error. I was running Winamp (with ambient tunes) while I was sleeping so it should not have went into the mute phase because Winamp is an exception program. Is it possible it has something to do with my computer going to the password screen after 30 minutes? I keep my computer secure by timing out at 30 minutes and I have the option ' On resume: display Welcome screen' checked.

Here are my settings...

[Settings]
idletime=30
latetime=0
mutewhenidle=1
mutingstart=0000
mutingend=0000
programs=winamp.exe,
mutecommand=C:\WINXPTPC\system32\sndvol32.exe
mutecommanddir=C:\WINXPTPC\system32
mutecommandhide=0
unmutecommand=
unmutecommanddir=
unmutecommandhide=0
latecommand=
latecommanddir=
latecommandhide=0
startmuted=2
lastmute=0
fademuting=1
hotkeymute=
hotkeyvolumeup=
hotkeyvolumedown=
volumechange=10
showvolumebar=0
playsound=C:\WINXPTPC\Media\ding.wav

Renae

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • ElectroCity.ca
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 09:03 PM »
- Additional suggestion
It would be really helpful if IdleMute asked you if you wanted to unmute when it detected movement. This would actually negate most of my need to run SndVol32. And it would remind me to check if my volume was set inappropriately.

Renae

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • ElectroCity.ca
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 10:14 PM »
OK, I think I know what the problem is. It is not avoiding running the application assigned to mute when there is an exception, but it is avoiding muting when there is an exception.

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2006, 04:29 PM »
 :tellme:
It is not avoiding running the application assigned to mute when there is an exception, but it is avoiding muting when there is an exception.

Please explain.

Skrommel

Renae

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • ElectroCity.ca
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2006, 04:43 PM »
Sorry for the non-code writing. It's in 'Rene brainstorm code'.

IdleMute is running and waiting for the idle time limit...

Idle time limit hit
   Is there a program that should prevent idle muting
      Yes - Don't Mute
   Is there a program to run when muting
      Yes - Run program
   Exit

Idle time limit hit
      Yes - Don't Mute
      Yes - Run program 2nd time
   Exit

Idle time limit hit
      Yes - Don't Mute
      Yes - Run program 3rd time
   Exit

... instead of...

Idle time limit hit
      Yes - Exit (and/or wait for non-idle state and save cycles :D)

Renae

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • ElectroCity.ca
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2006, 04:46 PM »
Also, I just ran it again to be sure of what I was looking at and it hung after canceling the settings dialog. Not a big deal once it is setup but letting you know to be thorough. My full time job is QA lead after all. ;)

skrommel

• Fastest code in the west
  • Developer
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • 1 Hour Software by skrommel
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2006, 07:23 PM »
 :) Hmm, looks like I haven't thought of that combination. Man, you're thorough! Thanks!

Skrommel

Renae

• Participant
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • ElectroCity.ca
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2006, 08:07 PM »
I've had a chance to run the new version. It still has the issue of launching the application more than once. I may even think it's something else because I think it's launching more than 15 minutes worth. (4 times per hour). After a night I had about 150 instances of SndVol32 waiting for me. That's 37.5 hours worth.

- Another Suggestion
How about a dialog asking if you want to mute or unmute? If it is about to mute have the dialog default to muting after 5 or ten seconds (user configurable?). And when it is going to unmute just leave the dialog up.

Thoughts?