topbanner_forum

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
  • Tuesday April 16, 2024, 2:19 pm
  • Proudly celebrating 15+ years online.
  • Donate now to become a lifetime supporting member of the site and get a non-expiring license key for all of our programs.
  • donate

Author Topic: corrupt office 2003 file  (Read 5213 times)

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
corrupt office 2003 file
« on: April 29, 2011, 07:35 PM »
at my school, we are running office 2003 sp3 on win xp pro sp 3 desktops.  Our students are having increasing problems trying to open files, especially powerpoint. 

we get the following error message:
Powerpoint was unable to display some of the test, images, or objects on slides in the file, “(the name of their file)”, because they have become corrupted.  Affected slides have been replaced by blank slides in the presentation and it is not possible to recover the lost information.  To ensure that the file can be opened in previous versions of Powerpoint, use the Save As command (File menu) and save the file with either the same or a new name.  :o

it is corrupt beyond reopening or recovering anything.  We cannot open the file to use the save as command.  I have tried manually renaming the file, nope that didn't work.  I also tried changing the extension from ppt to pptx, nada here also.  I have tried opening the file in powerpoint 2007, nothing that way either.

does anyone have any ideas on the whys of  this but better yet a solution??  I wasn't too far behind on my office updates, I couldn't find much when I google either.  I am currently reghosting a couple of computers with ALL the latest updates to windows and office in hopes that this might fix it.  :tellme:

open for suggestions  :'(

Shades

• Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
Re: corrupt office 2003 file
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 08:24 PM »
You tried opening the 'bad' powerpoint slides in LibreOffice? In the past I encountered similar problems with Microsoft Office not being able to open its own files, while OpenOffice/LibreOffice had no trouble. In there I 'save as'-sed the files in the native format from Office 2003 and suddenly Microsoft Office is able to open the files again.

I have downloaded the portable version of LibreOffice from PortableApps.com not too long ago and it could be a decent fallback in cases similar to the one you are experiencing now.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 08:54 PM »
I will check it out.  thanks shades

BTW, LibreOffice must be a OO offshoot that I haven't heard of before. 

cchian

• Charter Member
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 08:57 PM »
I recently heard something similar to what you describe, it is likely after KB2464588 patch was installed.  Search "powerpoint corrupt april 2011" for more info.

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 06:44 AM »
Not all of my machines had kb2464588 installed on them and they still had trouble.  Microsoft did release a patch, kb2543241 which I installed.  I did go to windows update to see if it would download this patch for me... NOPE.  :(  But the hoops you have to go to just to get the patch was incredible.  Fill out a form, wait for the email with the link, clicked on the link and it didn't work.  I had to copy and paste in order to get to that page.  Download the file, extract it, oh and it is password protected!   >:( 

I don't understand how the 2464588 patch got installed as my users do not have admin rights to install anything.

I will find out on Monday if the patch works.

Carol Haynes

• Waffles for England (patent pending)
  • Global Moderator
  • Joined in 2005
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 07:56 AM »
I will check it out.  thanks shades

BTW, LibreOffice must be a OO offshoot that I haven't heard of before.  

OO has pretty much ceased development as far as I can tell. The core of OO has been picked up by LibreOffice  and they are continuing a separate (and much more active) development of their own. As far as I know it is still going to be a free product.

Check it out at http://www.libreoffice.org - seems to be getting good reviews.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 07:58 AM by Carol Haynes »

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 10:05 AM »
Is there any AV software (client or server side) involved?

Is the PP file sender using embeded or locally linked graphics for the file (I've seen this boo-boo happen before).

Are you sure the PP file is getting to the server/client intact? If it is an Outlook/Exchange environment, try sending a known good test file to an account that is not in cached mode, and see what happens.

Also if Exchange is involved, has an ofline defrag (with esutil) ever been run on the server?

techidave

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2007
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 02:19 PM »
email is not involved at all.  the files are stored on our server.  the files have not left our network and have only been used with PPT 2003.

There are graphics involved.

Stoic Joker

• Honorary Member
  • Joined in 2008
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 02:37 PM »
email is not involved at all.  the files are stored on our server.

Oops! ...I Assumed  :-[

Curt

• Supporting Member
  • Joined in 2006
    • View Profile
    • Donate to Member
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 07:34 AM »